Poll: Steam: God's Gift or Piece of S**t

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
It's heralded for it's "awesome prices", but this is misleading. They run sales from time to time, on older games, and while these sales have some amazing deals.. it's the standard pricing that's messed up. They charge rather high for a digital download (no physical product), and in most cases the price for a game is 5-20 higher than what I could get from Amazon.

They're not very consistent. It's not always reliable, either. Though, it's okay.. it's there if you just want to get something.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Honestly, I like it. Don't love it, but some of their sales are unbeatable.

Also, in-game overlays are particularly useful when getting stuck.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
I, personally, am quite a fan of Steam; good community, things work well, and it's a great platform for indie developers and modders.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
Steam is comfortable, less annoying than other DRM's. Shop part is bit worse for me, because in my country games are generally cheaper than in other countries, but sometimes there are gigantic sales, so sometimes i buy something.

I like it. It's not ideal, but it's as close as DRM's get.

acklumos

May 1, 2009
Personally, I don't like it, mainly because the more popular it gets, the more likely, it seems to me, that gaming will go fully digital, which I would hate. Of course, I could just be paranoid. I have to admit though, I love the overlay.

Jul 22, 2009
I don't like it. It gets in the way, I just want to play a game and it sits there annoying me.

But it's odd because I have no problem with (and even quite like) Games For Windows Live.

I think it's great.

Steam... not so much.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
cyber_andyy said:
quite the contrary, you are missing the ponit.

although it has be stated that "you don't own it", they cannot change the original data via the disc as it's not Rewritable thus meaning that the clause applies to data only that's stored on a portable/mass storage device(installed), excluding the data stored on the original disc

The EULA is pointless unless being practised in the court of law or in terms of finance for retail products.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
You know what? FUCK Steam. It's the worse digital store I have EVER seen. WHY on EARTH do games cost 60 dollars when there are NO packaging costs? Wasn't digital distribution the solution to the high prices that we face in todays industry? Apparently not.

Let's also not forget about "project 1 dollar = 1 euro". Apparently, in the magical little world we know as Steam, one dollar is the same as 1 euro meaning Europeans ALWAYS have to pay more for any sort of game. Until Steam remedies this situation I'm better off just buying from a retailer.
I could use the same arguement with Direct2drive, Gamersgate and especially Impulse, which is gaining a reputation of giving non-Americans a bad deal. So, yeah.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Ledan said:
Reaper69lol said:
Ledan said:
Hey, just wondering how the gamers at escapist feel about steam. Personally I dislike it because it does not allow me the simple act of installing my game and playing it when I want.
Ok, what exactly do you mean by that? You do realise you have to download your game files right?
Anyways, I can sense a huge flamewar starting, so im just going to get right to the point. If you know how to use steam right, Its great. If you dont, well I can imagine it being a bit challeging, but it does not take awhile to get use to, once you understand it, you will love it.
Um.... I thought I was clear, what I mean is this:
I want to buy my game, pop the CD into my laptop, Install the game, and play it within the same half-hour.
Add on top of that the entire business of ordering a CD or going into town to buy it and digital download starts sounding a hell of a lot more interesting.

At least, that's how I see it.

I love Steam, i've pretty much never had a problem with it and a lot of the problems I see people bringing up are either things that were fixed ages ago or something they personally are doing wrong.

Dodgy

Mar 23, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
1. Fair enough.

2. Actually the currency stuff is ALL Valve's fault:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24960/ Price: 50 Euros
http://www.gamestop.de/45539_Xbox_360_Battlefield_Bad_Company_2.aspx Price: 40 Euros

It's a simple matter of converting the currency correctly and it seems that not only Valve is screwing us over, so are other major game retailers like for e.g. Gamestop itself. Whilst Bad Company 2 is cheaper Mafia 2, a new release, is priced at 50 Euros. It's absolutely insane at what retailers are doing in Europe.

You claimed that it's "cheaper on Steam than retail". Whilst this MIGHT be true for the USA, in Europe it really isn't. New releases are priced at 50 Euros and even 8 months after release the price stays the same as evidenced by Mass Effect 2: http://store.steampowered.com/app/24980/ whilst if you buy retail new releases are either cheaper or drop in price quickly. You're better off either importing or attempting to buy from an Electronics store with a games section. More often than not you'll find the game you're looking for there for a cheaper price

There has been an outcry from the European gaming community to remedy this situation but as of now, August 23rd 2010, Valve and other retailers have not responded with neither a statement nor a solution to this situation.

Steam is not "saving" PC gaming. It provides indie developers a platform through which to publish their games. Whilst this is a good thing it does not in any way "save" PC gaming because PC gaming needs no saving.

Now don't get me wrong. I have bought games during a weekend sale, specifically Left 4 Dead 2 and Call of Duty 4. My gripe with this system is the fact that we Europeans are forced to pay more for the same product which is absolute bullshit. It seems that greed transcends every single plane.
Thanks for the well-argued reply.

Why is the currency thing Valve's fault? I'm not arguing the point, I'm just asking if you've got a source for that information? It would be interesting.

Why are you re-uttering the place of the Steam-pricing of games. SURE ME2 (and many many other games) are overpriced all these months later, but Valve has nothing to do with that.

I do remember that Empire: Total War was cheaper on Steam than it was retail here in Belgium. Then again, I hardly buy games the week they come out because I still have enought to play. (DAMN YOU STEAM SALES!!!) ;)

Well, ok, "saving" was maybe a bit over the top, but it's helped increase PC gaming and I know for a fact it's helped a lot against piracy. Many older games have been bought on Steam in the sales instead of getting pirated.

Best example in my case FOR Steam is the Introversion interview in which they say it was Steam that saved them from going bankrupt.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/23/how-a-steam-promotion-saved-introversion/

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
AlphaOmega said:
That said, Due to the non-annoying DRM (I get instant-chatting, groups, notifications) user friendliness, automatic updates and awesome discounts It; together with other DD services, Is a great thing.
Sums it up nicely. I love steam. Don't see that I'm being "Forced" into using a platform with chat, quick-join for friends, patching and a decent store... or that that's a bad thing at all.

Some people just whinge they can't play online because they have pirated everything. Whose fault is that?

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I like it. The auto-updater is great for people like me who are too lazy to go to a game's website just to see if there might be a new patch. And when I had to re-format my computer, I reinstalled steam and there were all my games, waiting for me to install them whenever I like.

My only real problem with Steam is how much a pain in the ass it can be to play games offline.

Dodgy

Mar 23, 2010
MaxPowers666 said:
I dont consider it helping us when they are still selling 15 year old games for way to much. Most games of that age are already free and its just steam making money off them now. Hell I consider most of steams prices nothing short of piracy.
Are you just refusing to accept the fact that

***Valve/Steam has NOTHING to do with the pricing of 95%the games***
(Guesstimating 5% are their own games?)

Most games of that age are free??? I loved your reply on my previous post, but this one means absolutely nothing. Fear, Darwinia, Rome: Total war, Serious Sam, Half Life, Stalker... I could go on. Steam making money off them... See *** xxx ***
And Steam prices are piracy... uhum.

Also, I don't like physical copies all that much. I've got a games collection going back about 15 years and my attic is getting full tbh. :)

I'm surpised though that the grand majority likes Steam (91%), I would have thought there would be a lot of trollvotes or rebel votes. :)

LightOfDarkness

Mar 18, 2010
Ze_Reaper_Of_Zeath said:
Well, I love it, it is very convenient, such as when I go on holiday to my grandpa's place(he has a very powerful computer for creating music and stuff) , I can use it to play Portal and Team Fortress 2. However, it does have it's flaws, such as downloading speeds. But, I get alot of offers. FREE PORTAL FTW!
Wut, I get max download speeds with Steam.

I love it, despite it's flaws, because you can add games that don't support steam to use the steam community overlay in game :D

Makes it a lot easier to manage friends, that's for sure.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
Dodgy said:
1. When Valve was accused of ripping off customers they came forth with no official statement on the matter. For over a year customers have been left in the cold with barely any information as to why Euros are considered equal to dollars.

Here is a 500 page thread on the matter: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770231&page=527

EDIT: http://kotaku.com/5115340/dollar-no-longer-weak-vs-euro-on-steam
http://pcgamingcorner.com/wordpress/?p=451

If you want more proof then all you need to do is check the Steam US prices and compare them to the Steam EU prices.

2. I understand that Valve has nothing to do with pricing. However, you stated that it's cheaper to get it from Steam rather than retail. I disagreed with that and presented my arguments. It's sort of irrelevant however since we're living in countries with no real gaming industry. As such, arguing about prices is irrelevant since for me at least, retail means going to an electronics store and hoping they have games in stock.

3. I'd like you to present what evidence you have that supports the idea that Steam has increased PC gaming. You state that you know "for a fact" that it has helped against Piracy. Again, evidence for that please. Steam's copy protection is easily cracked as evidenced by every single game that has ever used the Steam Copy protection system.

4. Good for them.