Poll: SteamOS announced, 2 announcements to go

ngl42398

May 19, 2011
http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

The first of 3 "universe-growing" announcements has been made. It seems to be a Linux-based "SteamOS". What is your opinion on this? Will you be using it?

Andrewtheeviscerator

It's Leviosahhhhhhh
Feb 23, 2012
As it has been pointed out there are almost no worthwhile games available on Linux through steam right now. Now if it does get some of the top end games then I might consider getting it sometime in a couple years but I've grown out of PC gaming now and have no desire to go back to it for a long time.

Kaendris

Sep 6, 2013
Yah have to echo what is going to be the majority opinion. Linux is nothing worth talking about in terms of titles. So no, as it stands right now, I will play my PC games on my 2 PCs.

*Edit* Now in fairness, they do claim that developers are "targeting" this new OS for future titles. So that makes any negative response to this poll premature, but then again, this poll is premature so, you get what you ask.

As it stands right now. No.

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
Seems like Valve has got that figured out. Although it remains to be seen how much of this is marketing speak.
It's still only via in house streaming so you'll need a windows PC anyway to play most of the steam library. These hundreds of native games are around 200 and they're mostly indie games and Valve's own catalogue. They really have to announce a bunch of natively supported AAA titles.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Juan Regular said:
It's still only via in house streaming so you'll need a windows PC anyway to play most of the steam library. These hundreds of native games are around 200 and they're mostly indie games and Valve's own catalogue. They really have to announce a bunch of natively supported AAA titles.
As I said, might just be marketing speech. Depends entirely on how the hardware turns out, and if they can keep up with their promise of Triple-A native support.

Kaendris

Sep 6, 2013
Juan Regular said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
Seems like Valve has got that figured out. Although it remains to be seen how much of this is marketing speak.
To follow up on this point.

Even when/if they do... honestly, why should we/I care (from a purely personal standpoint). If I want to PC game on my 52 inch HD T.V, I run an HD cable. I do not see the point in a new product to do something that old products do just fine.

Now, I am only tech savvy enough to build my own computers, and do a bit of webwork, so maybe I am missing the "big bang" here. But as it stands right now. Can anyone tell me the point of this thing other than Valve saying "look! we made something!"?

jpinks

Jan 25, 2010
Just seems like a way to make a Steam Box and get it off PC to me. Most people dont know how to set up a Dual Boot system and wont be bothered. Unfortunately to many people use PC's for more than just gaming!! To me that means they want to sell us a Steam Box and get out of windows. Not that I blame them for that. MS has done more to KILL PC gaming than anyone.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
No, because my monitor is bigger than my TV. :D

Also, I don't know its full feature set. That said, I'm OK with this announcement. Maybe Windows will finally have a competitor when it comes to being a gaming platform.

jpinks

Jan 25, 2010
Gaming platform yes. But most of us use our PC's for more than Gaming. My pc is a gaming rig but I use it for work and other things as well. Tell me how that will fly when I need to do a presentation or spreadsheet with Steam OS lol. I know I can do a dual boot system but for the MAJORITY...... I see that being the killer. That means they will have to buy a Steam Box. So what does that say for long term PC support from Steam??

Juan Regular

Jun 3, 2008
Kaendris said:
Even when/if they do... honestly, why should we/I care (from a purely personal standpoint). If I want to PC game on my 52 inch HD T.V, I run an HD cable. I do not see the point in a new product to do something that old products do just fine.
There's a whole bunch of problems there for a lot of people, including me. My PC is about 15 meters away from my TV so if I want to play in the living room right now, I have to use a 15m HDMI cable, use the XBOX wifi dongle for the controller (which is trickky from that distance to say the least) and use an android app that turns my phone into a touch pad to have mouse control for the occasional windows pop up or menus that aren't controller supported. SteamOS solves all these problems for me.

Kaendris

Sep 6, 2013
Juan Regular said:
There's a whole bunch of problems there for a lot of people, including me. My PC is about 15 meters away from my TV so if I want to play in the living room right now, I have to use a 15m HDMI cable, use the XBOX wifi dongle for the controller (which is trickky from that distance to say the least) and use an android app that turns my phone into a touch pad to have mouse control for the occasional windows pop up or menus that aren't controller supported. SteamOS solves all these problems for me.
That is fair, and I completely see where you are coming from.

Yet, your point makes me feel this is more a niche type thing. However, who knows... far far to early to make any snap decisions.

So, I will stay with my initial judgement. As it stands right now, this OS does nothing for me. The future may change that.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Not until it surpasses the current level of compatibility of windows. I really can't be bothered to arse about for half of a day getting it to run properly so that I can natively access less than a tenth of what I can at the moment.

Maxtro

Feb 13, 2011
I hope games run better on SteamOS than on Windows. If they don't, then I'll just stick to Windows.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
I won't be using it because
A) I have a Thunderbolt to hdmi cable on my MacBook
B) I already spent my personal splurging money for the next 4 months on a new [a href"http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/ibanez/tbx150r/index.html"]sweet ass amp[/a].
C) I'm a student

BQE

Posh Villainess
Jun 17, 2013
I'm probably going to pass on it. I love Steam and all it provides and try to evangelize those that I can. However, I like Windows as my at home OS and I could honestly just put my PS4 out in the living room.

Maybe it's a family thing.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Weaver said:
I bet HL3 will be a SteamOS exclusive.
I highly doubt it. As much as it would push use of the platform, it seems to run contrary to Valve's "let's try to make our customers love us" business philosophy. Plus, it seems like all of the games on SteamOS are games that are regularly available through Steam, makes any exclusives seem highly unlikely.

Now, what is possible is that they're going to use Half-Life 3 to showcase SteamOS/Steambox and it's capabilities. Of course, part of this the overly optimistic and soon to be disappointed Half-Life fan in me speaking, so it probably won't actually happen, but hey, it's possible.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
People who say that it's pointless to use SteamOS. Would you rather play your future PC titles on a new Windows OS or on an open source free OS like SteamOS that also gives you the option of playing all the other games you already own? SteamOS makes the future of PC gaming brighter.