Poll: Strange light in the sky.

eggy32

Nov 19, 2009
AlexWinter said:
eggy32 said:
Are you sure you weren't just looking at the moon without blinking and your vision became blurred do you blinked and were looking at a different spot once you opened your eyes?
Is this a serious question?
Not at all. It's the result of being very tired and bored.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Could have been a small meteor. There's gonna be a meteor shower in a few days.

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
If there is a military base or Airport nearby, It might have been a Flare. Those are use all the time out at my house.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure it was a meteor since there is a meteor shower going on right now. Even if it didn't look like the meteor you saw last night, there can be several circumstances which made it look like that. It's just the most likely explanation.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
God.

[sup]I'l totally shitting you.[/sup]

I have no idea. I often see lights in the sky that I think could be something strange or paranormal, only to realise seconds later that there are rational reasons for what I thought I saw.

Jun 16, 2010
J-dog42 said:
I once saw a giant orange orb glowing in the sky. It just sat there not moving. It was night time as well, so I'm not making some stupid joke about the sun. I didn't want to tell anyone because they may have thought I was crazy. But no one on the internet knows me, so I'm all good.
Something happened to me last night when I was driving home. I had a couple of miles to go. I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky. It was moving irregularly. Suddenly, there was intense light all around. And when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
StBishop said:
Voted for aliens. Because it's obviously the best answer.
I don't know, it could have been a weather balloon.

Last time I saw something funny looking in the night sky, I found out from the news it was a weather balloon. =P

mirror's edgy

Sep 30, 2010
I agree that if it wasn't moving like a meteor, it was probably light reflecting temporarily off a satellite, but I'm not too familiar with the subject.

However, it couldn't be a satellite catching fire from impact with debris because any kind of flame requires oxygen, and I assume that satellites are outside of the atmosphere. It probably isn't a supernova either, because (according to Wikipedia) "[N]o supernova has been observed in the Milky Way since 1604" and stars take several days or weeks to progress from one phase of life to another through a supernova. Just to throw another theory out there, could have just as well been Cthulu eyeballing you through a cosmic rift.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
It was just some swamp gas reflecting off a weather balloon.

Could have been a Chinese Lanturn. There were a few sightings in Belfast a while a go, golden floaty things hanging in the sky, that's what they turned out to be.

ManimalR

Jan 3, 2011
There's a big meteor shower tonight, that's probably what it was

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14503284

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
Swamp gas, weather balloon, Cory Doctorow's war blimp, or any other XKCD jokes.

Just some atmosphere mindfuckery.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
I like the idea about the Iridium flash best. It definitely does look like the work of a satellite, at least in my thoughts ^~^.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Oh shit. You know what this means:

Quick, scramble the Skyranger!

In all seriousness, it's most likely a meteor or something similar.