Poll: Superbowl 2013: Do You Care And Why?

13thforswarn

Jul 11, 2009
So it's Superbowl Sunday, and that means like 50% of Americans will be glued to their TVs. It seems like a holiday. But why? Hell, I'm not even American, and I'll be watching simply because everyone else will be. I don't even like football very much. So, will you be watching, and why?

And I guess by extension, who will you be cheering for?

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I'm going to be watching because I like football. I'm a Seattle Seahawks fan, so my team isn't in the big game, in fact, our rival (the 49ers) are one of the teams that are in the game, so I'm rooting against them more so than I'm rooting for the Ravens.

Also, don't call it Handegg, it has a certain connotation of condescension.

yeti585

Apr 1, 2012
50%? That seems like a conservative estimate.

I'm from Ravens territory, and the place might as well be painted purple. Seriously, I walked out of my house today and got honked at by like twenty cars because I had a Ravens drawstring bag on. Remember that amazing comeback two games ago? The place was crazy.

Plus, this season has had many stories. You have Ray Lewis, who is leaving this season, The Harbaugh brothers facing off, Torrey Smith's brother dies and he plays an amazing game the next day in honor of him, and The list goes on.

captcha: blue cheese
I guess captcha wants a good spread.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
To be honest, not really. But I'm British so that is to be expected really. I do care slightly when The Giants play in it, as my Dad is quite in to the NFL and that is the team he follows, so I kind of follow suit there. Not enough to stay up until 3 in the morning to watch a rugby game with an overinflated budget and body armour mind /obligatory UK comment on how American Football is just nancy boy's rugby :p

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
I couldn't give less of a shit if I tried. I'm not American, I hate sports, and I have about a billion things I would rather be doing (i.e. walking slowly in circles, watching grass grow, gouging my eyes out, etc) than watching a pack of feral blokes cavorting about a field.

So... no. I won't be watching.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I've always been interested in getting into American football but it seems like an uphill battle as I'd have to learn all the rules. When nobody plays or watches it in this country you don't just pick them up the same way you would football or rugby. It'd be a lot easier for me to get into basketball as I used to play it in high school so I know the rules somewhat.

Still though, go Ravens!

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
I enjoy American football, but I don't go out of my way to watch it. Likewise with rugby (league & union for those purists), soccer/football, cricket, baseball, blah blah blah. I really don't give a freakin' shit of who wins, and I become somewhat indignant when teachers and nurses are paid a pittance next to some meathead fucker who can kick a ball.

But hey, "what great ones do the less will prattle of". Important quote #343. Bonus points for those who can place it without Google (but in a thread on NFL I'm not sure it's so likely ... but then again, the Escapist seems to be congregating point for apparent polymaths).

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
GrimTuesday said:
But that was the point, that answer is for people that don't care for American Football, and we all know they were going to call it handegg anyway.

OT: I don't normally watch the American Football but this year I accidentally placed a bet, so now I'm like GO RAVENS! and stuff, unfortunately I'm afraid I'm going to be working while it's airing so I won't be watching it.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Erm... nope.

I'm British, and fuck the Superbowl, Six Nations is on right now. And ho ho ho, France got beat by the perennial whipping boys Italy today, while England got off to a pretty good start. Applaud a debut try scorer named Twelvetrees. Applaud damnit! -_-

Simultaneously, we're two thirds of the way through the Premier League season and nearing crunch phase of the fixture calendar, so do you think I have the time or effort to give a crap about American 'Football'?!

I swear, of the four 'handegg' sports (Rugby Union, Rugby League, Aussie Rules & American Football), American Football has the least 'ball' to foot contact. At least the others have the decency to exclude the term 'football' in their colloquial names. Jeez... -_-

13thforswarn

Jul 11, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
Erm... nope.

I'm British, and fuck the Superbowl, Six Nations is on right now. And ho ho ho, France got beat by the perennial whipping boys Italy today, while England got off to a pretty good start. Applaud a debut try scorer named Twelvetrees. Applaud damnit! -_-

Simultaneously, we're two thirds of the way through the Premier League season and nearing crunch phase of the fixture calendar, so do you think I have the time or effort to give a crap about American 'Football'?!

I swear, of the four 'handegg' sports (Rugby Union, Rugby League, Aussie Rules & American Football), American Football has the least 'ball' to foot contact. At least the others have the decency to exclude the term 'football' in their colloquial names. Jeez... -_-
It's called football because the ball is a 1 foot long from point to point. The name has nothing to do with the foot contact.

Accel

Aug 18, 2012
I'm watching because I like football and it's even more fun I'm watching it with a group of friends while drinking and eating snacks.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
British here, never had any interest in American Football.

Plus, far too much going on with sports I do like.

Our Football season is mid way and six nations going on.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Kaleion said:
GrimTuesday said:
But that was the point, that answer is for people that don't care for American Football, and we all know they were going to call it handegg anyway.

OT: I don't normally watch the American Football but this year I accidentally placed a bet, so now I'm like GO RAVENS! and stuff, unfortunately I'm afraid I'm going to be working while it's airing so I won't be watching it.
I know, I was just voicing my dislike of people using the term handegg, not just in the poll, but also as a statement for those who might have used it to consider before start their HURR HURR HANDEGG bullshit.

Hazy992 said:
I've always been interested in getting into American football but it seems like an uphill battle as I'd have to learn all the rules. When nobody plays or watches it in this country you don't just pick them up the same way you would football or rugby. It'd be a lot easier for me to get into basketball as I used to play it in high school so I know the rules somewhat.

Still though, go Ravens!
The basic rules are actually really simple, 11 men per side, you have four plays (downs) to make it at least ten yards, if they make it, they get four more downs and so on and so forth. If they reach the endzone, they get six point, they then can either run or pass it in for two points, or they can kick it through the uprights for one point, which is easier and thus more often used. If they can't reach the endzone and don't get a first down (making it ten yards within four downs results in a first down) they can punt (dropkick) the ball away to give the other team less good field position or if they are close enough, they can kick it through the uprights for three points.

from there it is pretty easy to figure out.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Yeah, I'm in the "could not possibly care less about handegg" camp. I think its popularity has more to do with there being nothing else worth paying attention to in early February in America than any actual appeal of the game itself.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I wasn't really engaged this year, because no one even close to my region was playing, and I usually just keep up with college football anyway.

cough cough [sub][sub]gig em aggies[/sub][/sub] cough

Also, I was busy recording drum covers. So there's that.

Fluxlunanos

Forgot to remember to forget.
Jun 26, 2011
I was playing Planetside 2 a while ago (Strength in unity, Loyalty until death) when I received the order of "Superbowl lost power, lulz". That is how I found out,I'm not a fan of Handegg or any sport for that matter-the fact that I found out while I was playing a game says it all, doesn't it?

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Nah, sports just aren't my thing. Good for you if you watch it though. It must be nice to have a sport that you love to watch get such a big event every year.

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
I'm a Texans fan, but I was rooting for the Ravens tonight. (yay!)

Mainly because they beat the Patriots, screw those guys.