Poll: Survey no.2: Do you use IRC?

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
I'm scared of text conversations on the fly like IRC. I like this because I can plan out what I want to say, but with IRC, it's like Improv. Sure, we all just want to have a chat, so I can relax and just talk, which is great, but I feel that A) I am the least interesting person in the world with the least interesting views and interests in the world, B) I suck at conversations with people (Miracle I have a GF, I tell you) and C) I always forget I'm in conversations.

Seriously, talk to anyone I have IM convos with and I always drift off and just not answer for like half an hour because I have forgotten, regardless of who I'm talking to (Even my girlfriend which is still a miracle I have), I will forget I'm talking and leave the person hanging with an unanswered question, a one way conversation, or them saying "Guess what?" to a big bunch of thin air between my ears.

Adding to this, Months ago, I was invited by a friend into a big Skype conversation room where people converse on a daily basis. A lot of people, room is always open and doing things. I have not been there for months as I'm afraid they might reject me if I just show up again out of the blue. I'm not even sure what they're talking about half the time too, but I probably would if I hung around with them and I just wasn't so afraid of what others think of me. I wish I knew why I hate not knowing what people think of me. It's petty and I feel selfish for it. I wish I knew...
The conversation isn't normally as fast moving as you might think unless you're in channels with hundreds of people. You should definitely check it out anyway if you're feeling adventurous...or bored.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I use the the #escapist IRC via Trillian. I used to not use it at all, now it loads up automatically when my laptop starts.
They can be scary people at times but they are all big softies really.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Sevre said:
GeorgW said:
I've tried, but those of you who were there when the other mods bullied me to try it out can testify how bad I am at it.
What was your problem anyway? It's not nearly as difficult as everyone says. If you want to PM me I'll help you get it sorted out.
I'm sure I could get used to it if I put some effort into it, but I really don't see the allure. There are too many people talking at the same time.

Shemming

Jun 12, 2010
I wanted to, but never ever figured out how. Im smart like that. -bashes keyboard-

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I used to, actually, back when I played some text-based, team-based political MMORTS. We did all kinds of negotiating over IRC, talks that sparked wars, made alliances, planted daggers in people's backs, the works. Good times...
Erana said:
It breaks my brain a bit to think that there are escapist users now who are too young to remember a time before broadband and cell phones, when using the internet and the telephone were mutually exclusive.
It gets worse. My little sister, who is 13, can't actually remember a time before social media, let alone before broadband internet. I kinda feel sorry for parents today, when one set of parents can have children that are born in completely different eras. Talk about rapid generation gaps, the poor things just can't keep up.

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
I think you know the answer to this question, Sevre.
(That's a yes.)

I probably spend too much time on there really. >.>

pilf

Apr 23, 2008
I really want to use IRC more but, as with any online community I' a member of, I often get distracted or even neglect the comunity for prolonged periods of time, which makes me feel more than awkward when re-entring a channel.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Erana said:
Sevre said:
Those of you old enough to remember the internet in the '90s (when downloading the Doom demo cost as much as the actual game)may have used a handy little apparatus called Internet Relay Chat. Better known as IRC.
Oh GOD the 90's internet. It paaaaaaains me.

It breaks my brain a bit to think that there are escapist users now who are too young to remember a time before broadband and cell phones, when using the internet and the telephone were mutually exclusive.
*breaks your brain* >///>

OT: I did for a bit...but I'm too lazy and to be honest that many conversations at the same time is a little scurry.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
All the time. And I credit my improved typing speed to the realtime responses I was forced to make through it.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Out of boredom I'm currently logging onto #escapist for the first time. Let's see whether anything interesting is going on.

EDIT: It even works. Guess that's another source of late-night entertainment then, if y'all are so kind to provide.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
You don't have to grow up in the 90's to like that now, I'm from 1994 and it's pretty much how I spend my empty hours (when I'm not gaming with the clan, watching movies, listening music, working or learning)

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I know what it is and will pop up in channels related to things I like (such as the Escapist channel), but I'm shy and don't do well in environments where a bunch of people I don't know are talking.

It's great for RPGs, though.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I used it to some limited extent back in the early 2000s (when the film matrix actually came out) and honestly by that time it was already rather archaic compared to things like Bolt, AIM, Yahoo, ICQ

Now, it really seems like entirely too much of a PITA to bother with setting up, even via trillian. Granted yes it is more robust than most chat clients, but it really doesnt seem worth the effort.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
I used to, but I don't anymore. Forgot why I did actually, it was probably for some forum I don't belong to anymore.

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
Can't say I've actually got into. Been on a few before, might start, but if it's not a for a game, i don't tend to stick around.