Poll: Susan Arendt is gone...do you wonder if the Escapist is hurting?

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Honestly, I think her reviews are bad and her attempts at humor are sad. She might be a great editor though. Escapist news articles are often borderline uninformed propaganda, but some of the daily features are awesome. I think she has a good eye for emerging talent, if nothing else.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
I reckon there's a jinx on the job, like the Defence Against the Dark Arts teaching job at Hogwarts. Only one person could be responsible for this foul sorcery...KROSS!

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
She called me a dick once. I don't think the Escapist will suffer from her loss. How'd she get bumped?

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
It's not like everyone is jumping ship all at once. That's when you know things are getting bad.

I've always liked Susan, her professional persona (don't know what she is like in person) seems to reflect a philosophy I try to live by, the "I'm glad this stuff exists because some one somewhere is enjoying it. I might not get it and that's okay."

Like many people I was introduced to The Escapist via ZP, but I can honestly say that Susan was one of the reasons I registered.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
That's a shame, she will be missed. I wonder what keeps making people leave the escapist without much explanation.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I think it'll hurt The Escapist a little, but I think it'll ultimately bounce back pretty quick.
If we lose Tito...I'll be baffled. Our PodCat will be unanchored and adrift...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
soren7550 said:
Slightly off topic, but would Susan still be allowed to come by and post on the forums? Or is she banished for leaving the circle?
I'm pretty sure they open up a new circle of hell to banish you to.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
There were a few other who also left after the new owners, so while just Susan leaving probably won't affect the site too much, having so many of your talents leave in a short time is not good. The podcat is definitely more interesting with Susan at the helm. I hope she'll stay in the industry and we'll see her work elsewhere soon.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
She was a vital component sure and will definitely be missed but we won't die without her, positions tend to be replaceable and even greats need to step down from time to time but well I think it's too soon to say. That said I'm disappointed she's not staying any capacity, she was a nice link between the members and the staff so it's sad that we lose that but we'll live.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The loss of Susan is already pretty obvious in the two podcasts if nothing else. That said, I don't know that it means anything at all for the site in the bigger picture and the long term.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
TomPreston said:
I will say this, after listening to the latest couple of podcats, I really REALLY miss Susan's ability to keep everyone on topic.
God YES! Lately I was actually interested in the podcasts where she wasn't there because she often dominated the podcasts(which isn't necessarily a bad thing). It allowed a new crew to take over and keep things fresh. But she kept everyone on track. I really wish Justin or someone else would speak up and say, "Let's get back on topic" more often.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
I don't think it's necessarily that the Escapist's hurting, but from what I can tell, once someone has gotten up to EIC here, they've always moved on to bigger and better things. Pitts when to Polygon, and took John Funk with him, Steve Butts became EIC of IGN, which I'm sure pays a hell of a lot better, and Susan's moved on to Joystiq.

Rob Robson

Feb 21, 2013
I have been thinking this, not because of Arendt leaving, but ever since they started using the scummy type of ads on the bottom of pages that only the equivalent of internet drug dealers would want to be associated with.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Funny this comes up today, because on the Minecrack podcast [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp4W28kxq0w] today they had former Escapist contributor Bruce Willakers, who just like Susan and Russ, went on to bigger and better things after the Escapist. He talked a bit about some of the bad decisions the Escapist made in the old days (namely throwing way too much money at their contributors), but I'm guessing that's no longer the case these days.