Poll: Team Fortress 2: Why you no have Females?

Sulgoth

Aug 16, 2010
they'd never get it to look good and keep the balance, TF2 is considered competitive, probably not going to happen.

Guy32

Jan 4, 2009
For the most part they would have to make them all muscular and/or fat to fit in with the rest of the game, or make them hot, which would be ridiculous (and not in the tf2 way).

additionally, you can always play that Chinese tf2 ripoff

The Cor

Jun 21, 2011
It wouldn't improve the game, it would only make it more "female-friendly" and add diversity but after that there comes a long list of things valve should do to add females to TF2 and balancing problems. It is simply not viable to put effort into it, though I really love the picture you posted there OP would be awesome if it was possible to play one of those characters but sadly it's not viable.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
Those girls have quite the armor in that picture. I can't really take this seriously if that's the picture your using. Think of it, look at the heavy there. She should be a big, serious person, and with the character's set up would it really be as funny?

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Jennacide said:
No, we don't, for a very simple reason. The concept of the game is that it takes place during the quazi 1950's. A period where women did not really serve in the military, let alone in the front lines. If you want female models, they've been made, go grab them. Especially those by Chemical Alia, which are very well done, and remain tasteful, unlike 95% of the female pyro ones, which are gross and tacky.
What is it with the lot of you and magically turning back the clock a full decade? TF2 takes place in the mid to late 60s.

And are you all really that afraid of men NOT being the hero for a change? As long as they have more or less the same hitbox then I'd really welcome female characters as long as they are their own entities and not just girls wearing the costumes from the guys.

Although the idea of the female Heavy being one of those Russian women who could pretty much carry their own tractor out to the field is definitely hilarious.

That said, there's so many female fanmade models out there that Valve should just consider grabbing the nine best, hiring a number of voice actresses and giving them their own little background and personality. If they can add fanmade maps, hats, weapons and modes to the official roster, why not player models?

Zmerc

Aug 20, 2011
Its most likely pyro is a female. If you check the lockers, sometimes right next too the pryo mask is a purse. check it out on some of the payload maps.

Natetahgreat

Aug 3, 2011
I'm against this to be honest. Not only that without good checking of the models and silhouette's would it make it hard to see who is about to pop lead/explosives/fire into my anus but it would be a bit cheap for somebody to have a smaller hitbox for using the female Engy instead of the male Engy which could then open up the possibility for men to say "Well, the women are getting special benefits, what about us?!".

To be honest, 'I_french_fry' of Deviantart did the Female thing best with this: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/205/9/1/TF2_FEMALE_ENGINEER_by_I_French_Fry.png

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
I'm not entirely agreeing with that. I have more confidence in gamers and am sure that they can remember 18 silhouettes easily. I mean, with all the hats and accessories in the game you can pretty drastically alter the silhouettes of some of the classes as is.

The weapons are also a key identifying tool as well, surely the flamethrower, sniper rifle or sticky launcher are iconic enough to be recognised at any range in anyone's hands.

While I do think their hitbox needs to take up about the same volume as their male counterparts (and if need be, just make the hitbox larger than the actual model, it happens in some cases as is, the engineer's hitbox for his head is MUCH larger than his actual head when viewed from certain angles), the silhouette should be free to be changed so that they can be their own characters rather than just the guys in drag or girls dressing up as the male team. While still making sense of course, you can't make the female Heavy all svelte while still carrying the 140kg Sasha around no problem, for example. (If this were an anime styled game that would be less of a problem though, heh)

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
ElNeroDiablo said:
xXGeckoXx said:
the charismatic british sniper
Sniper's Australian, not a bloody Pom. As if half of his crap didn't point to him being an Australian anyway.
Actually let's make a thread about it as it is an interesting topic I want to know about.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Pedro The Hutt said:
Jennacide said:
No, we don't, for a very simple reason. The concept of the game is that it takes place during the quazi 1950's. A period where women did not really serve in the military, let alone in the front lines. If you want female models, they've been made, go grab them. Especially those by Chemical Alia, which are very well done, and remain tasteful, unlike 95% of the female pyro ones, which are gross and tacky.
What is it with the lot of you and magically turning back the clock a full decade? TF2 takes place in the mid to late 60s.

And are you all really that afraid of men NOT being the hero for a change? As long as they have more or less the same hitbox then I'd really welcome female characters as long as they are their own entities and not just girls wearing the costumes from the guys.
So far that's all that people are asking for, is female reskins. It serves little to no purpose. And before you got on your high horse, go ahead and click my profile link. And I STILL believe that it should remain the men. Why? Because it ruins an already proven aesthetic. What baffles me more, why do people honestly want these reskins? That just means they'd be female versions of the same characters, not having their own, and they are all (except maybe Sniper) BATSHIT CRAZY. And why is it only TF2 that gets this arguement? Why not Battlefield 3? Women serve in the army in modern day, why not complain that you can't pick your gender there? Or MW3? Why is TF2 held to a different standard?
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Jennacide said:
No, we don't, for a very simple reason. The concept of the game is that it takes place during the quazi 1950's. A period where women did not really serve in the military, let alone in the front lines.
Women worked as spies and medics on the front lines during world war 2 and often as engineers in occupied areas such as Port Alexandria. Sorry but It's kind of insulting to their memory to say that.
How is it an insult? Those aren't the front lines at all. The whole point of being a spy is you worked in the inner workings of the enemy to get information and perform sabotage, not join the soldiers on front line shooting at each other from trenches. So yeah, you could justify 2 of the 9 classes to have female members, but what of the other 7? They just don't fit.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Jennacide said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
Jennacide said:

So far that's all that people are asking for, is female reskins. It serves little to no purpose. And before you got on your high horse, go ahead and click my profile link. And I STILL believe that it should remain the men. Why? Because it ruins an already proven aesthetic. What baffles me more, why do people honestly want these reskins? That just means they'd be female versions of the same characters, not having their own, and they are all (except maybe Sniper) BATSHIT CRAZY. And why is it only TF2 that gets this arguement? Why not Battlefield 3? Women serve in the army in modern day, why not complain that you can't pick your gender there? Or MW3? Why is TF2 held to a different standard?
Oh trust me, it annoys me to no end that you can't pick a female skin in Modern Warfare or Battlefield 3, but my guess is this is about recognition, and really, in TF2's case I see it as an opportunity to introduce 9 more wacky (if not indeed, downright crazy) personalities to the TF2 roster. I wouldn't be happy with simple rule 63 versions of the boys, as I've posted several times in this topic now.

And hey, the fact you're a woman yourself sadly doesn't mean much anymore these days, what with women like miss Bachmann proclaiming that a woman's rule is to be submissive to her man. So I'm afraid that there even are women who are afraid of strong female protagonists, but it's a comfort to know you're not one of those.

And I'd say Sniper's at the very least is a bit quirky, seeing how he delights in turning "everything above your neck into a fine red mist".

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
That'd be really cool, awesome art. But why are they all so damn skinny? The good thing about TF2 classes is how recognizable they are just by their silhouettes. Heavy girl needs to be a heavier girl.

Kiwilove

Apr 2, 2011
I don't see why not. Girls can be nuts. Girls can use guns and explosives. Girls can wear hats.
Having to double the number of silhouettes and voice actors or add new characters would be a pain for the programmers, though.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Been said lots already, but character design.

On top of just being far too bloody hard to make easily reognisable silohuettes for male and female for each class, female silohuettes just don't vary as much, even when stylised.

It really isn't neccessary though.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Eh, I can't see why not. Granted I can't see why either. It'd be a nice addition if they worked it out right (The whole silhouette rule, they need to be immediately identifiable and varied in body type.)
but as it is right now, it certainly doesn't kill the game to not have them.

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
Rex Dark said:
Pyro is female.
Pyro is the announcer.
That's what I was going to say.
The Pyro is female, or so the legend goes...
So why a female version of a female character?

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
The announcer is a female.
Jennacide said:
And why is it only TF2 that gets this arguement? Why not Battlefield 3? Women serve in the army in modern day, why not complain that you can't pick your gender there? Or MW3? Why is TF2 held to a different standard?
Good question. How about this? Make them all robots. That way...no one can ***** about it anymore.