Poll: Tell us your favorite game genre.

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
I love Action- adventure games as well as action- RPG's (I can't get enough of dungeon crawlers) and point and click adventure games (King's Quest, Full Throttle, and now Zack & Wiki for the wii).

MrKeroChan

Oct 3, 2007
I perfer Adventure/RPG types. System Shock 1&2/Bioshock/The Witcher/most Zelda games

When RPGs are written well, I'll forgive them their pacing flaws (Disgaea, Suikoden V, i'm looking at you two)

Hellgiver

Oct 10, 2007
RPGs all the way. I wouldn't mind more games that were like Hellgate: London, using an RPG system with shooter.

soladrin

Sep 9, 2007
RTS hands down :) still play lots of warcraft 3 ^^ how can you not put RTS on the list, but you do have sidescrollers and such...

Azile

Dec 16, 2007
I'd have to say Adventure, point-and-click and all of that. Too bad the genre itself has been efficiently erased.

These days I probably play more RPGs or Shooters, but real adventure games still holds a very special place in my heart..

Condorbeta

Dec 15, 2007
soladrin said:
RTS hands down :) still play lots of warcraft 3 ^^ how can you not put RTS on the list, but you do have sidescrollers and such...
As said, only 8 options.

I hit myself for not thinking about RTS before, but I don't think that I can do anything about it now :(
Ah well.

Vaare

Dec 20, 2007
90% of my games are RPG for one reason, and one reason only: I have no friends. Seriously. When ya need a game you can always have fun playing by yourself, RPGs will always be there for you. I love you Final Fantasy, Dragonquest and Shin Megami Tensei. *cuddles*

mcknifey

Dec 21, 2007
love taking my anger out on someones face with a bullet to the head on CS:S or maybe even a knife to the throat, lovely peaceful gaming for the whole family =D

dl_wraith

Dec 21, 2007
Shoot 'em ups were always my favourite, ever since the days of Scramble ;)

Side scrollers always seemed best. R-type, Gradius, Parodius, Salamander, Defender...the list goes on. Shame there's precious little of this sort of shooter knocking about these days (I feel the japanese have ruined the genre with too many bullet-happy, effect heavy vertical scrollers in recent years).

I am very partial to other game typer....except RTS games and quiz/puzzle games. If I want to do RTS, I'll go and play a tabletop wargame. If I want a puzzle or a quiz, I'll get a real one or play a parlour game. Video gaming should allow us to do what we can't do easily in 'real life' (race a car, fly a jet, travel space, go on a quest, blah blah blah). If it doesn't then it's pont is diluted somewhat.

FPS shooters don't hold the same appeal for me as traditional shooters.....but I do love a bit of Unreal Tourney ;)

rawlight

Sep 11, 2007
I put adventure games even though a real adventure game hasn't come out since I hit puberty.

Oh wait, that new Sam and Max game is really good. But that's more of the exception that proves the rule.

Projekt Spartan

Dec 19, 2007
Definitely RPGs although it depends on what one. Shooters come in a close second for me too, and sports games are next.

edinflames

Dec 21, 2007
Shooters first, not because I like all of them, far from it, its where I spend most of my game time though.

RPGs in 2nd, only beaten by shooters because most RPGs of last few years have not interested me.

Rent

Nov 26, 2007
My vote goes too RPG. Those are usually the games with the best stotylines, and i just cant play a game i really dont get understand what im doing

Condorbeta

Dec 15, 2007
mrcheese said:
RPGs. I like to get value for money. Dunno about you guys, but I feel a little cheated when I pay out £3 for a game and finish it 6 hours later. RPGs pretty much guarantee you 30 hours of play at least, with more for optional content.
Yeah, that's part of the reason that I'm for RPG's as well. Normally a good game would keep me interested, but an RPG lasts forever. It's a great way to get the real bang for your 'buck.

portuga-man

Dec 23, 2007
Platforming. nostalgia contributes a bit, but remember that some of the most memorable games are platformers.

is it just me, or people are mixing up shooters (gradius, ikaruga, un squadron...) with FPS's (css, halo, etc etc etc)? maybe I'm an idiot, but aren't shooters and fps's considered different things?

anyway shooters (gradius, ikaruga, super r-type) are a close second, followed by rpg's. i used to like fps's a lot more, but it seems that everyone found out they're a gold mine and i just can't be bothered to play all fps's that came out.

Laniatus

Oct 25, 2007
This is a pretty hard one for me but I'll have to go purely by the game closest to me. So I'd have to say RPGs seeing as they have the longest life span and (usuall) some interesting game features to arse about with.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
I like a game that involves you inside a story. Just doing something because the game says it must be done (Quests in RPGs, killing things in pointless shooters) I don't find all that fun.
Star Wars Battlefront Exempt.