Poll: Terran, Protoss, or Zerg?

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I actually enjoy all of them. The thing I loved about Starcraft was its ability to immerse you in whatever race you were. That's something I think Warcraft 3 didn't do so well. With Starcraft you felt like the race with your values being different depending. Meaning you were either interested in: Honour, Survival or Eating.

I like Zerg the most I guess. Protoss are super cool but I'm pretty bad with them and I'm just plain terrible with the Terrans. My strategies in each usually revolve around: Guardians, Carriers w/ Arbiters and a whack of infantry backed up by a few siege tanks. It was pretty fun.

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
Gormourn said:
I wonder if there will be firebats for terrans in Star Craft 2.

I like fire =D
That would be like if they didn't have Goliaths. Pure heresy! Kill the heathen swine who dare get rid of any of my terrans!

I do hope they keep some of the original voices. I can still get a high from hearing "Goliath online".

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
Toss.. There is something special about elite units..

(Which is tossed out to the wolves if you seen a decent micro'ed toss army. 30+ zealots and 50-60 dragoons.)

needsmosleep

Mar 22, 2008
I personally play zerg, I like the flexibility of the race and I don't have the patience to play PvZ or the apm/micro to play TvZ. And protoss is by far the easiest race to start out on, terran are very b/o driven and unless you know what your doing your going to find yourself overwhelmed. I 100% stand by the statement that it is the best game ever made (sc>chess) and I would recommend everyone to try out the mutliplayer on Sc; I would say sc1 but its very hard to start playing competitively.

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Aardvark said:
I'd go Space Marines or Tyranids. Eldar suck.

Oh wait, wrong game...
They ripped off Starcraft. You see Starcraft is so godly its coolness goes back in time, and even the first cave paintings rip it off.

Gota love protoss, always outmanned, never outgunned.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Bulletinmybrain said:
Toss.. There is something special about elite units..

(Which is tossed out to the wolves if you seen a decent micro'ed toss army. 30+ zealots and 50-60 dragoons.)
That's almost at the population cap right there.

From what I've seen so far:

Terran: easy to get into, but clutters up your base like there's no tomorrow. However, flying structures are great when you absolutely need to evacuate.

Protoss: needing only one worker to build an entire base is cool, but you have to take into consideration the placement of pylons. That, and expensive units. It's also got the best crowd-clearing attacks in the game (Psionic Storm).

Zerg: very fast and can amass a sizable army in no time. As a Zerg player, it's in your best interest to end battles quickly. You'll be at a serious disadvantage if the fight drags on. And you have suicide units. Perfect for destroying your enemy's air force.

-------------

All these will probably change once SC2 comes around. There's a bigger emphasis on unit combinations now. I'm guessing that some tactics from SC1 will get carried over, while most will be rendered obsolete (or an easy workaround can be used).

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Well, the easiest is Terran, the middle class is Zerg and hardest is the Protoss.

Terran is easy because if you ever played some RTS you are mostly familiar with their concept: marines, snipers, tanks, fighter jets...etc. It's pretty easy to master, especially the turtle tactic (and play for attrition), because only the Terran buildings and units could be repaired and they have superior air and ground defenses compared to the other races. They are the most balanced race in the game. Also, they have NUKES! BWAHAHAHA! ;) There is no better feeling than hearing "Nuclear launch detected!". Well, only if you have the nukes :)

Zerg is fairly easy, and really use one tactic: MOAR! They can pump out massive hordes of units in relatively short time, so if you mow down 100 Hydralisks, don't get your hopes up, because the next 100 should be just around the corner. Their secret is speed, early expansion and rushing. 80% of the time, a Zergling rush is responsible for finishing a game before it even starts. The Zerg is best used with "hit & run" guerrilla tactics. Their drawback is the weak units and buildings. No Zerg base can stand a full blown attack, that's why you should have more than one base. Also, the Guardian is essentially cheating, because it has a longer range of fire than any other unit or base defense in the game. :)

Protoss is the hardest. Their units, buildings and especially upgrades cost a fortune and they are slow and bulky as Hell. Building units and buildings is a hassle and takes forever. But, they are insanely strong and versatile, especially when fully upgraded, a few Protoss units can turn the tide of the battle against insurmountable odds. They have regenerative shields, killer attacks and their air force is the best in the game. (You can't survive a full squad of Carriers when they are teleported straight into your base by an Arbiter. :)) The Protoss rely more on the individual unit tactics rather than full squads or groups, so they require a different approach compared to the other two races. They are bit hard to master, but when you do, you'll be unbeatable. Plus, they look awesome :)

These are just my observations, hope that helps.

EDIT: you can never beat a Korean. Don't even try :)

magicmuffinman

Dec 30, 2008
Zerg. Sending waves of units to their death is so fun.

"You 3000 zerglings! GO FIGHT FOR YOUR LORDS! VICTORY IS IN GRASP!.... Ok now you second group of 3000, I had NO faith in group 1. But your different! GO GET EM!"

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
TheSapphireKnight said:
Kukul said:
This thread is pointless, none of us played the game. You'll decide once you finish single player campaigns.
I'm asking for everyone's opinion based on their experiences playing the original.
If you mean to play like a tool, pick Terran.

If you mean to play competitively, pick Protoss. Protoss is BY FAR THE EASIEST race to play at a competitive level in its current form. Terran is extremely micro-intensive, as is Zerg, with TvZ being the most difficult matchup in the game. Protoss is very simple most of the time (ie: make a bunch of shit, attack move. Maybe you have to psi-storm a bit, or do some not-too-hard reaver micro, but still, a-click works fine)

Terran you need to be doing siege tank micro, vulture micro, understand mine placement, understand building placement (much less forgiving than the other races. Terran bases take a lot of room.) Etc, etc.

Zerg, you need to have very very good flanking micro, air-unit micro, scourge micro, etc. It's also very difficult to pull off unless you have a good concept of game mechanics and abusing hold positions, burrows, traps, fast mouse movement, etc.

Protoss is the easiest to get a hold of, by far. Powerful units means if you get attacked and you're looking away, you don't lose like 6 before you notice (zerg), or you don't lose the two units that make your army useful (terran).

edit: Every race is balanced if you play them right. Protoss is just the easiest to play right.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Playbahnosh said:
Zerg is fairly easy, and really use one tactic: MOAR! They can pump out massive hordes of units in relatively short time, so if you mow down 100 Hydralisks, don't get your hopes up, because the next 100 should be just around the corner. Their secret is speed, early expansion and rushing.
I'd disagree. The secret to playing the Zerg is knowing which unit to use to counteract the units your opponent uses. Speed and numbers are important, but 200 Zerglings aren't going to do crap against a fleet of Carriers, or even a group of High Templars controlled by a good micro-player.

For example, let's say Zerg vs. Terran. Whuzzat? He likes Battlecruisers and Valkyries? Time to slip out of the Zergling tease and build up some Devourers and (my personal favorite) Scourge.

You can't survive a full squad of Carriers when they are teleported straight into your base by an Arbiter. :)) The Protoss rely more on the individual unit tactics rather than full squads or groups, so they require a different approach compared to the other two races. They are bit hard to master, but when you do, you'll be unbeatable.
I call blasphemy and call upon the name of the Carrier Killer and Defiler. A few fleets of Scourge with cleanup from some Hydralisks with Defiler support can take out a sizable fleet of Carriers.

They're hard to master, yes, but unbeatable? Please, they may be able to rip apart your average Zerg player, they'll have it rough against any Terran player with a decent microing ability. Three Science Vessels with a couple squads of Valkyrie and a Ghost locking down half of the Carriers before the battle really rolls? DEVASTATION.

/rant

Anyways, LIVE FOR THE SWARM.

Although I do love playing the Terran every once in awhile. A wall of Siege Tanks is my best friend.

*EDIT* Woo, I'm in the minority! I always thought Zerg were unpopular, but I suppose this proves it.