Poll: Text Speak: Spoken?

LogieBear

Mar 19, 2010
Have you ever been with someone and something funny happens and their response is actually saying the word LOL?

Or when someone leaves the room and says BRB?

That is personally something that ticks me of, in my opinion that kind of language should stay in text, it's demeaning and annoying to use it in spoken english

keybird

Jun 1, 2009
Yes, yes it.....wait......you play alot of fucking Genre Wars

Sorry, focusing. It really annoys me when people don't use correct grammer

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
Only once did I hear someone saying "LOL". Imagine a 19 year girl blonde girl from California that you usually see in cartoons/movies.

Audemas

Aug 12, 2008
I actually know a few people who talk like this and I can't stand it. I completely agree with that it should stay in text and I wouldn't be against getting rid of it all together.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
My friends often say LOL and BRB in a spoken form annoying at first but I got used to it after awhile, doesn't make it any less stupid though.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
I hear a lot of

"el oh el"
"Bee tee dubs" *CRINGE*
"rofl mao"
"dubyou tee fuck"

It drives me to vicious murder.

The worst offenders are my friend-who-is-a-girl and sister. They're lucky I love them a lot.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
When I'm deliberately being obnoxious or a dick to friends, I'll insult them then just say "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!" loudly and continuously so they can't say any retort. It shits them right off. Otherwise I don't usually do it.

Criquefreak

Mar 19, 2010
Unless we're in the middle of a war zone I will cold stare a person for using text speak, even on a text message (yes, this involves waiting to see them in person sometimes). Either communicate properly or expect to be shunned for sins against language on a conceptual level.

The purpose of both written and spoken language is to communicate an idea, text speak fails that as it tends to create far more confusion due to misused or unknown popular culture references and abbreviated ideas that even a mind-reader would be second guessing. If a person doesn't take the time to communicate properly then they should expect their ideas to be dismissed as useless, annoying tripe.

Angry Caterpillar

Feb 26, 2010
I have a friend that used to do this all the time. I say "used to" because every time he did it I hit him in the arm. When the bruises started, he stopped.

ctrl-alt-postal

Nov 16, 2009
Only to annoy those it will. Not as a valid grammatical progression in true sentences.

I was tempted to put some text-speak in a communications assignment just to see the teachers response, but a laugh is not worth losing x% of my marks.

CloggedDonkey

Nov 4, 2009
well, I don't like it, but I can how the fuck did you do all that in Genre wars in a little over a week?

LogieBear

Mar 19, 2010
CloggedDonkey said:
well, I don't like it, but I can how the fuck did you do all that in Genre wars in a little over a week?
Why people going nuts over my Genre Wars achievements? Haha it really isn't that difficult
Game is easy lol

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
people who do that (speak slang acronyms) are just about as sad as me when I hunt for uranium ore in my local community

Inco

Swarm Agent
Sep 12, 2008
I personally dislike it, but at least I know what they are on about.

Its the people who text speak when writing on either facebook or forums that drive me insane. You don't have a limit for time or space when writing, so there is no excuse to type like that it just looks plain stupid. Not to mention confusing.

"for all u dick heads out there that think water has a taste well im here to proove u rong hahaha it is a fact that humans can not tase water only cats n doggs and some mammals so poke my tounge out to u all"
Also noted on the example, someone actually said that and has not been altered in anyway.