Poll: "That girl is hot"- Words a Boyfriend should/shouldn't say?

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
So, whenever a particually attractive girl surfaces on the televison or movie screen (like Liv Tyler) and you are watching the entertaining feature with your other half, is it appropriate to comment on the hotness of the lady in question?

I ask this because my other half makes a habit of pointing out to me that Syler (Zachary Quinto) from Heroes is very attractive on a near enough regular basis when he appears on tv to eat his precious hero brains. But when i say "Well in that case, Maya is hot." she gets all huffy. Another example of gender inequality or just a rule of relationships i was not told about. Lets get some discussion on this.

(Maya is hot though...)

Oh and a cookie for your vote!

ShadowStar42

Sep 26, 2008
I'd say in this situation she's being unreasonable, if she makes a habit of pointing out attractive males then she should expect you to respond in kind. That being said, it doesn't matter if she's being unreasonable, if it bothers her and you care about her feelings you should stop. Similarly if it bothers you that she finds Sylar attractive let her know and you should expect the same respect.

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
Fuck yes-- in fact, if you don't comment, you lose man-points.

Women need to get over themselves. Just because they feel inadequate doesn't mean we should be restricted from saying what we are biologically hardwired to say-- "Holy shit, that chick is hot."

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
Its not like she gets epicly upset. Usualy i just get a
"No, you don't get to think that."

And her pointing out Sylers attractiveness bothers me not.

(Edit due to terrible grammars lawl)

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
I voted yes, but with exceptions. Allow me to elucidate.

First thing's first, and by no means should this be taken as an "only" situation, this is a very "based on my experience" comment. Women are usually fickle, insecure little creatures. When they're not, they're usually distrusting. Assuming you see a stranger walking down the street, and it is early on in a relationship, her first instinct will be to get angry, jealous, and quite suspicious. The reason for this extreme of reaction, I can't imagine, but it's been an easy thing to understand that these things happen.

Secondly, consider the opposite role. While not always a good indicator of the level of irritation, move the extreme slider up and put yourself in her shoes (wear socks, heels cause blisters pretty bad). Would you feel alright with your girlfriend looking at a tall, muscular dude in a bar and saying, "I want him inside me, will you still be here in a few hours?" That is the kind of thing that is sometimes assumed (via subtext) whenever a guy says a girl is hot. Therefore, if that's what you say, that's also what you mean to imply, regardless of whether or not you meant to do so.

Thirdly, subtexts. Women read them, from everything. Every little thing has a subtext to it, so start thinking about what you're implying as you're speaking. It doesn't matter if you mean to, you still are.

Aaaand, that about sums it up for me. No cookie necessary, although I'm very likely going to get flamed to hell for this. (I'm not sexist, just speaking from my observations.) That is all, carry on.

AntiAntagonist

Neither good or bad
Apr 17, 2008
Hmmm.... Most of the girls I know/dated would either agree or are bi.

Basically: if the relationship is in a rocky situation (long distance, someone cheated, etc) it's not cool. Otherwise the 'other half' needs confidence/trust. Whether that confidence comes due to your intentional devotion or they find it themselves is, at least partially, up to you.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Well since you are offering cookies...
Actually I see no problem with it. Both my boyfriend and I point out the exceptionally attractive people we see, regardless of sex. This may be because of the difficulty in spotting the hottie, due to our combined distaste for modern fashion, or just because we're both secure about ourselves and each other.
So I personally think the problem stems from self esteem rather than anything else.

scarbunny

Beware of geeks bearing gifs.
Aug 11, 2008
Hell yes its a good thing, to be honest its normally my missus that points out sexy ladies. Hmm maybe this int a good thing but it makes me happy :)

Nom Nom Nom cookie

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
If a girl says "that guy's pretty hot" when I'm dating her, I'd take a look and cast my opinion. Generally they have the presence of mind to not say things like that when we're hanging out, but if they do it's a "Hell yeah I'd hit that, high five!" Because it's the response they don't expect if it's the first time they say it. After that it's a casual "Yay or nay" on my part. They can think what they want, I can think what I want. I know relationships are all about communication, but bugger that.

Don't ask, don't tell. I won't make comments about attractive ladies, you won't make comments about attractive men.

errorfied

May 11, 2008
I don't there is ever anything "wrong" with pointing out attractive people on the TV. But I think it's highly likely that some girls would think it was not appropriate.

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
I think its kinda hypocritical that we can point out beautiful artworks, poems, songs, landscapes, buildings, sunsets etc but not beautiful people. Whats the difference? I am saying this as a man though, I know loadsa women have a different opinion.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
AuntyEthel post=18.73676.804050 said:
I think its kinda hypocritical that we can point out beautiful artworks, poems, songs, landscapes, buildings, sunsets etc but not beautiful people. Whats the difference? I am saying this as a man though, I know loadsa women have a different opinion.
I was explaining a similar point to my friends a few weeks back after some drunken shenanigans in the local park. I don't think any of them quite got it though. :(

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
NewClassic post=18.73676.804012 said:
Would you feel alright with your girlfriend looking at a tall, muscular dude in a bar and saying, "I want him inside me, will you still be here in a few hours?" [
That made us both laugh... epically. Cookie for you.

This argument seems to stem from the whole "Are men and women equal?" question of which i feel would be better answered in another post... if at all (some things are best left to float in the aether of our minds/cake. I want some cake... or a muffin. I have to work with muffins all day and i get to have none? Is that fair? But oh look, I deviated... again)

And a cookie to everyone else that replied :D

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
I had the same problem. My ex had a huge poster of Orlando Bloom hanging on her door because she thought he was hot. Over the two and a half years we dated, she never took it down. told her countless times I didn't like it (mainly because I found it disconcerting to have Orlando Bloom watching us at all times we were in there) but she never bothered to remove it.

I have an odd taste in music; I love hardcore metal but I will listen to stuff like Shakira because I like songs sung in another language. I have Suerte on my Ipod (Whenever, Wherever in spanish to those who don't know) and it came on while we were driving in my car one day. About halfway through the song I realized she seemed kind of upset so I asked her what was wrong. Basically, her problem was that I had that song on my Ipod. She thought that I liked it because it "sounded sexy" and was jealous of it. She then asked me to take it off my Ipod.

How exactly is this fair?

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
DC_Josh post=18.73676.804011 said:
Its not like she gets epicly upset. Usualy i just get a
"No, you don't get to think that."

And her pointing out Sylers attractiveness bothers me not.

(Edit due to terrible grammars lawl)
I see this problem a lot with men today. Women think they have supreme control over everything that goes on in a relationship, including shit that goes on in our heads.

To all men: stop being such pussies. Stop wearing those gay polo shirts because your girlfriend tells you to. Stop paying for every dinner or movie. Stop listening to whatever music she wants when you're in the car.

Yes, chivalry is dead. It was a shitty idea in the first place-- women don't deserve to be eternally pampered and treated special just because they have a hole where their penis should be.