Poll: The 12-year old Screaming Kid Myth

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Plenty. The last time was while playing TF2, it was some russian kid that just wouldn't shut up even though the wast majority of the players didn't even speak Russian.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
What's with this "myth" thing? It's a very real plague on every platform that accepts microphones.

But anyway - I get the occasional squeaker on a game that supports VoIP, and indeed a disturbing majority of them are immature wannabes and all that other nasty stuff. If they won't stop screaming at everyone, that's what the Mute command is for.

ObserverStatus

Aug 27, 2014
I don't play CoD, but I have a brother who told me about one of the squeakers he encountered while playing MW2. I don't know if he was 12, but he was giving everyone a hard time for several games, before he got in an argument with his dad because he was grounded or something and he wasn't supposed to be playing, and by the end he was crying. Top fucking kek.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
DizzyChuggernaut said:
It does seem to be a console phenomenon, and beyond that related to Call of Duty and Halo.

Play Unreal Tournament or Doom online and you'll experience far less of that shit. Probably because the games actually demand your attention.
I think its because in the PC you can type the shit you want to scream.

Xbox has more reputation for the screaming kids because it came with a mic by default, something that the PS3 didnt do. The early years of the 360 didnt had a party system too so anyone that wanted to talk (almost everyone) had to share it with the entire lobby. Most players used the mic and some didnt had anything worthwile to say other then screaming.

Now it isnt normal to find players even using the mic since most of them talk inside a party with their friends.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
I don't think merely having ever met one justifies the stereotype.

I could have very well only met one screaming 12 year old my whole multiplayer career, meaning that even thought I've met thousands of players who are not 1 years old and screaming, I am lumped in to the same data point as someone who meets them everyday> I just don't consider that a fair representation of the facts personally.

It's not as bad as some people make it out to be, It's actually a rare CoD match that had a pre-pubescent on the mic, but it's a fuck of a lot worse than it should and could be.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
Though I would argue the PC userbase is on average in a higher age bracket, there is still enough kids to have multiplayer players witness this on a daily basis. This is especially the case for free games, such as TF2 and Dota2(in low mmr brackets).

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
Squeakers exist (and with the amount of parents buying these games for their kids how couldn't they?), but for some reason they seem to be far more common on console FPS. I've even heard quite a few that sounded not even like 10 years old. I'd make some quip about parents and letting their kids play such games, but I was allowed to play Wolfenstein 3D and Doom 1 with 6 or 7 years, so that would be kinda hypocritical. :p
PC has its fair share of them, too, but there they seem limited to "high profile" games like CounterStrike and Team Fortress.

Related anecdote:
I went to gamescom 2014 together with my brother who was wearing a shirt printed with his CS name and clan-tag and some friends of us (some also clan-tagged).
While we were sitting in one of the resting areas munching some burgers there was a small group of perhaps 13 or 14 year olds at the table next to us who kept staring at us and arguing to each other.
Listening in on their (quite loud, even against the background noise of the convention) argument it turned out they were recognizing my brother as "the guy who made one of them rage a few days ago" (pretty much a direct quote) and were discussing what the names of the other clan members of his in that game were and if they might be amongst the others in our group.
Pretty funny and we had a laugh about that for weeks.

--------------------------------------------
Captcha for this post: "Urban myth".
Haha Forum, very funny. Nobody likes a smartass.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Myth nothing, my friend's younger brother sadly fits the stereotype to a T.
I've seen all of this in person:
-Plays CoD (on Xbox 360)
-Trash talks like an asshole when he's winning
-Whines like a screechy ***** when he loses

They're out there.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't play games online at all anymore. I used to back when Halo 3 was still a new thing and the last time I was able to play games online I played Mass Effect 3's multiplayer on the Wii U. Under those circumstances, the worst I ever encountered were squeaky-voiced kids who didn't know how to properly use the mic: nobody screaming. Although I did once get a picture of a cock with a bunch of cock-rings on it after beating some guy in Halo 3 match-making but that's a different issue.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
A couple of times.

But the screaming adults are far worse.

The phenomenon is not limited to any age group (maybe gender?), 12-year old is just the insulting label given to them because that is how they behave regardless of age.