Poll: The 3DS - Definitive, Must Play Games

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I would say that it absolutely has must-play titles but then I really like Nintendo games to begin with.

Fire Emblem Awakening
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Kirby: Triple Deluxe
Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (I would rate this higher than the two classics but I'm in the minority there)
Legend of Zelda: N64 classics (Ocarina and Majora's Mask, both fix issues present in the N64 versions and I'd say are the definitive way to play those games)
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (I would recommend this one much more than Dream Team. Not sure if I'm the minority there or not)
Mario Kart 7
Pokemon (pick your poison)
Super Mario 3D Land
Super Smash Bros Fo(u)r 3DS

If you haven't played Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii, I would recommend that and I hear Hyrule Warriors Legends has a better feature list than the Wii U version. I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS and I wouldn't recommend that anyway since I don't like MMO style JRPGs personally and don't know how it performs on the handheld. I would recommend Codename S.T.E.A.M. though since it's cheap, has a cool art style and plays like an over-the-shoulder X-Com. Shin Megami Tensei IV is another game I would highly recommend due to its difficulty and traditional JRPG play style. Bravely Default and Bravely Second are also great if you're a JRPG fan who wishes Final Fantasy would get back to being Final Fantasy. I'm one of those people who liked Mega Man Legacy Collection even though it's missing out on nearly half of the main numbered Mega Man franchise (I expect a sequel is forthcoming) but that's a multi-platform release and you can get those games separately if you don't care about the special features in the bundle.

Then there's Monster Hunter which I can't quite get into but has a huge fan following. Apparently Generations has a ton of new customization options and there's a demo which nearly sold me on the game.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Not one of the New 3dses with the stronger processing power? Xenoblade Chronicles should be avoided. It's just not compatible.

Well, doing a lot of stand by to stand by, I've amassed a lot of games I like, and some have already been mentioned. You might wanna invest in a 126 gig card upgrade. I've gone pretty heavy on the digital.

Scribblenauts Unmasked Puzzle Solving using words to summon objects, and/or people. It has a fairly solid database of DC comic characters.

Senran Kagura Burst It's actually 2 games in the Senran Kagura series as a bundle. It revolves around a LOT of fan service, some surprisingly good writing, and some solid brawler controls. You can only play as female characters.

Senran kagura Deep Crimson (If you get it physical, shoot for the DD version. The sound track is worth it, imo.) The Sequel to Burst, it improves on the brawling, adds some giant monster bosses, and lets you play as a guy via DLC or data from burst. Again, pretty solid writing, immense fanservice, and solid gameplay.

Lego Batman 3 If you've played a lego game, you've played this, more or less. Melee enemies with a watered down Arkham combat system, have access to dozens upon dozens of assorted DC characters, find hidden stuff.

Style savvy Trendsetters It's a fashion game where you run your own store! Beneath all that it's a pretty solid puzzle game, management game, and there's a lot of character customization, though you can only play as a girl.

Tomodachi Life It's a somewhat interactive fish bowl where the fish are actually little avatars that do zany things!

Fantasy Life A pretty great RPG.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse A solid platformer, great writing, nice character design. The series has something of a cult following for a reason.

Retro City rampage It's like a top down saints row minus the heavy character customization, though you can get codes to change your appearance.

Smash Bros It's a solid fighting game with a massive roster, simple controls, an added dungeon mode of sorts where you run through a maze and try and get as much powerups as possible to prepare for the final battle with the rest of the dungeon crawlers.
there's amiibo support allowing you to train your own AI fighter.

Street Fighter IV Not a whole lot to say. It's Street fighter IV but with some 3d options, and the ability to assign 4 buttons on the touch pad.

Fire emblem Awakening A solid tactical RPG.

Fire emblem Birthright, Conquest, and Revelations these improve on the formula.Birthright, and Revelations have a more free battle system, while Conquest takes up a more traditional approach to fire emblem where you don't get much freedom in mission choices rather it focuses on fighting through a plot.
All 3 are parts of a whole.
there's limited amiibo support for Roy, Marth, Robin, and Lucina (*Shakes fist angrily at the heavens for making a Lucina Amiibo so hard to find in a physical location.*)

Pokemon Battle World In this you control a wind up toy version of a pokemon, and scoot around an area fighting, and capturing other pokemon. Unlock stuff, there's a simple plot.

Pokemon battle Trozei It's pokemon through a match 3 style game. There's gimmicks to some pokemon, and gimmicks to some battles.

Pokemon Picross I can't super recommend this, but it's free. You use numbers to decode where dots go to make something of a picture.

Pokemon Shuffle A free version of Pokemon trozei, but not quite as robust.

As for a main game pokemon, waiting for Sun and Moon might be optional, if not X/Y and/or OR/AS are all good.

Pokemon bank. For 5 dollars a year you have access to an online service that lets you move pokemon from OR/AS, and X, and Y. Likely Sun and Moon as well.

Project Xzone gets a little tedious due to the pacing of the battles, but seeing the chaos on screen as multiple game characters from Darkstalkers to Xenoblade, street fighter to tekken just combo the crap out of targets is pretty neat, imo.
Project Xzone 2 does ok in fixing the pacing problem.

Rune Factory 4 Create a character, help grow a farm, fight monsters, improve equipment, and skills in a real time top down RPG.

Mighty Switch Force is a game where you solve mazes to arrest criminals by alternating blocks to be in the foreground, or the background.

Radar mission It's a cheap, gameboy emulated Battle Ship game with variants on the rules.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles 3 Third person brawler that puts you in the shoes of a character you create and then experience the battles that helped unite Japan.

Hyrule warriors legends A third person brawler that puts you in the shoes of assorted Legend of Zelda characters including impa, Zelda, gannon, Toon Link, Linkle (A girl that dresses like link, and believes she's the chosen hero thanks to an artifact in her family. She mauls enemies hard with her dual auto-crossbows... and she has an army of Cuckoos), Fi, Marin, Sheik, Tetra, Volga, Wizzro, Darunia, Medli, King daphnes, and some characters created for this game in specific such as Lana a sorceress of light, and Cia who is a sorceress of darkness. I still haven't unlocked all the characters.
There's a neat adventure mode.
Lots to do.
Also it has Amiibo support. It mostly unlocks rewards like weapons, rupees, and materials that help in making your warriors stronger.

Basically any Zelda game.

Puzzle Quest Challenge of the warlords. A match 3 RPG where you blend quests on an overworld map with the aforementioned match 3 with some strategy behind it as each battle is a duel and what colors you match matter.

Terraria It's like a 2d minecraft with more direction. the maps are smaller compared to Console, and PC versions, but it's serviceable.

OlliOlli A side scrolling skateboard game that charges you with doing assorted tricks.

Nintendo badge arcade A more fair crane game simulator with some occasional free plays that lets you win themes to decorate your 3ds, and badges that you can likewise decorate with by placing them in icon sockets, or on folders. It's free to play and fairly entertaining. you can buy extra plays if that's your thing. It requires internet connectivity.

Kersploosh You help guide assorted objects around obstacles down a well to the bottom.

Final fantasy Explorers is a little rough but still nice. It's a 3d brawler at a casual pace. Kill stuff, get better equipment, wash, rinse repeat. there's online multiplayer that works well.

Starship Defense is a variation of tower defense where you place assorted turrets on "star ships" which kinda gets to be a stretch as thins go on to fend off assorted smaller starships.

Zombie incident is a platformer. I hadn't gotten too deep into it honestly, but the price point is low.

Demon King Box A cheap quasi-moba where you create an army of monsters, and/or robots, summon them on a lane, and try to get them to the end so they can beat up the boss on the other side.

Adventure Bar Story You play as a girl looking to open a restaurant which also involves going out and fighting monsters for ingredients.

Monster Hunter Generations releases today. Finally, one can play as a Palico, aka a Nyanta. Kind of a big deal to long time fans. You create a hunter, go out into one of 4 villages, fight monsters, scavenge their corpses, build better equipment to go out again.
Some of these monsters include frikking ginormous wyverns, a T-Rex sorta monster, furry giant wolves, giant horned rabbits that can wreck your shit, a woolly mammoth, an so forth. It takes tactics, and talent. It's one of the few games where you do not level up your stats, rather rely on better equipment (Or, heck, you can go out with no armor what so ever if you're confident) to be more efficient at killing.
There's over a dozen weapon classes to pick from, and multiple fighting styles of each. Huge swords, massive guns, bows, hammers, horns, lances, and so forth.
And you get to play as cats!
And online Multiplayer!

Rusty's Real Deal baseball A game revolving around a sad old dog guy that loves baseball and sells videogames revolving around baseball. The first minigame is free! You can haggle on the price of the rest.

Mini Mario and friends Amiibo challenge. Got any Amiibo? May as well get this for free. Guide windup toys across a map. the toys have various abilities depending on the amiibo used.

Side Vs Pocket is an old gameboy game that can be downloaded. It's a pool game with some tournament stuff.

There's a vast array of Megaman games now.

Of course there's a massive amount of DS games at your disposal, and generally really cheap, too, like Final fantasy tactics Advance 2, Civilization, etc. There's more than a few lists of some of the greatest DS games out there.

I'm exhausted (Not from making this list, I was exhausted before I started). that's about all I can think of. I really hope that if you do get a nintendo handheld it brings you lots of joy!

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
Well, I finally bought it. Was fighting with myself all night, then decided fuck it, 200 bucks is worth going to sleep at this absolute moment. Much like shopping while hungry, I'm worried I may have made a bad decision, but its done.

Picked up Shin Megami Tensei IV as my first game, though for some bizarre reason, it seems half of Amazon's 3DS games (And all the Japanese developer ones. No, not imports) are located in a weird warehouse where Prime shipping passes too close to a black hole and takes 4 days instead of 2 to be delivered. So I suppose I'll have to make do with my inevitable digital purchase of Pokemon Red until Monday (Assuming I get the 3DS on Friday as promised. Prime Day and all, so, you know... shit happens).

Also, this experience has reacquainted me to the concept of supply and demand. Some of the games you guys suggested cost a fortune.

Anyway... thanks for the help, guys! Feel free to throw more suggestions around.
if you enjoy SMT 4 you might be interested in knowing that there's a sequel called Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse set to come out over here september 30th I believe

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
IF you don't have a 3DS, then there's NO reason to NOT get a NEW 3DS XL.

I've found older games play better, and freaking Xenoblade Chronicles is worth getting the New system.

So good...so, so good.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
So my personal list of best 3ds games includes

1. Fire emblem Awakening: There is no other 3ds game Ive spent more time playing and felt more attatched to the actual characters and story. Ive actually finished the game 4 times and with each playthrough Ive discovered something I didnt find before

2. Bravely default: A different companies take on the old final fantasy formula with new features added in. Its the absolute best that could have happened with that formula and it works very well.

3. Fire emblem fates: I was a little dubious about fates being released at first as 2 different games and then 3 different games (thankfully they were smart and made them DLC purchases at half the price of a retail copy). The plot of fates is youre a noble who was kidnapped and raised in another kingdom who is at war with your birth kingdom. Then early in the game you have to make a choice. Do you side with the family you grew up with but who arent your real family, do you side with your blood related family who you barely know, or do you side with neither and find a different way to end the war between those two kingdoms. That said, Birthright, conquest, and revelation all have a different approach on the story so they technically are 3 different games. Much like awakening Ive found new things through each playthrough but the price tag of a wopping $80 ($40 for the game and $20 x2 for the two DLCs) is a lot to ask. Ultimately I thought it was worth it, your mileage may vary

4. Monster hunter 4 ultimate: OK the new monster hunter comes out tommorrow so you may want to skip this one. However MH4 gave me months worth of fun and challenging fights with friends and strangers. Its a great game but from what Ive seen Monster hunter generations is going to be much better in a lot of different ways

5. Devil survivor 2: Record breaker: Its hard to say anything about this game without spoiling it so the best I can do is say if you like the Shin Megumi Tensai series or especially Persona series in particular this games going to be right up your alley.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Rebel_Raven said:
Not one of the New 3dses with the stronger processing power? Xenoblade Chronicles should be avoided. It's just not compatible.
It's the 'New' 3DS XL. I simply slipped up on the name, something I think I can be forgiven for. The 3DS platform variety is, quite frankly, retarded. There's, what...

DS (Had one of these an age ago, no idea where it went, probably lost in a move or destroyed during some tree falls last year)
DSi
3DS
3DS XL
2DS
New 3DS
New 3DS XL

This is getting downright silly, as is the fact that I had to buy the charger separate.

totheendofsin said:
AccursedTheory said:
Well, I finally bought it. Was fighting with myself all night, then decided fuck it, 200 bucks is worth going to sleep at this absolute moment. Much like shopping while hungry, I'm worried I may have made a bad decision, but its done.

Picked up Shin Megami Tensei IV as my first game, though for some bizarre reason, it seems half of Amazon's 3DS games (And all the Japanese developer ones. No, not imports) are located in a weird warehouse where Prime shipping passes too close to a black hole and takes 4 days instead of 2 to be delivered. So I suppose I'll have to make do with my inevitable digital purchase of Pokemon Red until Monday (Assuming I get the 3DS on Friday as promised. Prime Day and all, so, you know... shit happens).

Also, this experience has reacquainted me to the concept of supply and demand. Some of the games you guys suggested cost a fortune.

Anyway... thanks for the help, guys! Feel free to throw more suggestions around.

if you enjoy SMT 4 you might be interested in knowing that there's a sequel called Shin Megami Tensei 4: Apocalypse set to come out over here september 30th I believe
One of the reasons I picked it. Seems pretty cool, only 20 bucks, and if I do like it, Primes got a discount on pre-orders (Assuming the Japanese version is well received, and they're still getting their copies first).

As to everyone else, thanks! I'm reading your suggestions, checking them out, and making a list of games for later acquisition. Going to get them in burst, not all at once. I don't need another 'Steam Backlog' situation.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
Rebel_Raven said:
It's the 'New' 3DS XL. I simply slipped up on the name, something I think I can be forgiven for. The 3DS platform variety is, quite frankly, retarded. There's, what...

DS (Had one of these an age ago, no idea where it went, probably lost in a move or destroyed during some tree falls last year)
DSi
3DS
3DS XL
2DS
New 3DS
New 3DS XL

This is getting downright silly, as is the fact that I had to buy the charger separate.
No argument here.

I like my 3rd party charger, though. It lets me recharge my 3ds through usb ports so I can use the cable in walls, or car lighter usb ports.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Get Smash Bros.
This is not a suggestion, it is a requirement.

Both Kriby games are perfect distillations of the Kirby formula.

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a reminder of how much better the series used to be, and how great it could be again if it dropped that damn third dimension that has done nothing but hurt the series. The only flaw is that the boss fights are kind of lame with the exception of the insane final boss.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is a pretty sub-par entry to the series, but it's bad pizza in New York; better than the best pizza anywhere else in the world. Fates (I only played conquest so make of that what you will) is a mechanical improvement over awakening, while having the dumbest writing I have ever seen in any video game ever. I am in no way being hyperbolic there. It's laughably dumb until the last 5 chapters, at which point it becomes painfully dumb.

Mario 3D land is the best 3D platformer I've played in years. NSMB is a very solid cookie-cutter'd 2d platformer.

Luigi's mansion is solid, but it gets old, and there are some hardware gimmicks.

Starfox 64 is exactly that: Starfox 64 but portable. The circle-pad works great for 3D movement, and the arcade-y structure works well for a handheld.

Pookemanns is exactly like every other pookeymann but with more pookeymanns to catch and shiny new graphics.

Project X Zone is something that should be experienced at least once. I can't promise you'll think it's good, but I will say it's worth playing. Can't speak for the sequel, but it looks like more of the same.

Attack of the Friday Monsters is a download-only game that I cannot provide a good explanation for. It's quite good.

Shovel Knight is a very solid NES throwback platformer. It should be experienced by everyone once.

Cave Story is Metroidvania for people who like Undertale.

I'm told there's a really good Resident Evil game that I've never bothered with because Resident Evil. It's one of those "Re"titles.
Like Revelations, or Requiem, or Revenge or something.

Your enjoyment of Kid Icarus: Uprising will depend on if you enjoy Adventure Time. Similar style of writing. The gameplay is very hit or miss, but it's a fun ride.

That's off the top of my head. I'll be back later with more.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
i like the 3DS but why should i convince you?

figure out for yourself if you're interested in the games or not.

Souplex said:
Get Smash Bros.
not really. hardly anyone plays Smash Bros 3DS. Wii U Smash bros is where it's at.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Yoshi178 said:
i like the 3DS but why should i convince you?

figure out for yourself if you're interested in the games or not.

Souplex said:
Get Smash Bros.
not really. hardly anyone plays Smash Bros 3DS. Wii U Smash bros is where it's at.
What nonsense are you speaking broom?
Nobody has a WiiU. I know both of the WiiU owners on earth, and only one of them even plays Smash. Everyone has a 3DS, and everyone with a 3DS except the for one human being who also has a WiiU plays Smash on it.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Not counting stuff that's already been mentioned:

Kid Icarus: Uprising -- A fun and unique third-person shooter/beat-em up. There may be issues with controls, however. Indeed, if you read the reviews, you often find that the controls are the difference between a good and bad review. But IMO, it's worth trying out.

Shantae series -- You should be able to get the entire series, from the GBC original to both Digital games.

Original DS games:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow/Portrait of Ruin/Order of Ecclesia
Endless Frontier: Super Robot Wars OG Saga
Metal Slug 7
Mega Man ZX/Advent