Poll: The Airsoft vs. Paintball Thread

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Paintball. Airsoft. Two very similar sports with very dedicated players, they are also the subject of heated debate between fanbases. So lets settle whatever arguments are to be had on the Escapist. I was going to go over some differences between the two, but it's late and I can't be bothered, so instead I'll just put some videos here of the two.

Paintball:

Airsoft:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I prefer paintball. It just feels a lot better visually seeing when you've gotten a hit, rather than relying on your opponent being honorable and admitting you've hit him. With airsoft it's also too easy to not notice when you've been hit, especially for those guys who play with a lot of "tactical" protective gear on.

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
I like paintball more because it feels/looks more like a game/sport, airsoft looks more like pretend army. I have admittedly never played airsoft so I may be wrong, but if you watch airsoft videos it sure looks like that.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I prefer airsoft because of the seemingly stronger focus on playin' sojers. Somewhat cleaner too and I like the way it uses RIFs instead of the clumsy paintball guns that are top-heavy with those hoppers (that are just begging to burst open and spill our ammo on to the wet ground). I also like the greater variety in available weapons - standard rifles, pistols, shotguns, sniper rifles, light machine guns - and the choice between electric or gas. As a UK resident it's about as close as I'll likely actually get to firing a 'real' gun like that and yeah, it's cool having the noise and (admittedly tiny) recoil of a gas pistol.

Sure, you have to rely on folks being honourable and owning up when they're hit but that's good as I see it. The times I went airsofting I was lucky enough to go with a reliable bunch of guys; that's way more fun than being lumped with a bunch of dicks who play dirty. Having to rely on someone being smeared with paint before they'll take a hit is a good indication of a day that's not as fun as it should be.

Juste Goose

Aug 1, 2013
I prefer airsoft guns, because they look more realistic and are easier to just take out in the back yard and shoot without a lot of prep, seeing as most are electric or spring powered.

I think paintball is more fun though. Less argument about whether or not you actually got hit, and it's easier to put people on similar footing. There's such a huge gap in price and quality with airsoft guns, from $7 to hundreds of dollars.
The guy with the 1:1 scale electric M60 made from real metal is going to crush the guy who can only afford/is only passionate enough to buy a spring-powered pistol. It's a lot easier to go somewhere and rent a bunch of paintball guns.

And before I get home to find 50 quote notifications, there's probably plenty of places to rent airsoft stuff. I just haven't seen any near me, but I honestly don't care enough to look.

Playful Pony

Clop clop!
Sep 11, 2012
I prefer airsoft, because where I live the airsoft people are a lot more mature and pleasant. We had loads of unpleasant situations in paintball, such as people standing well off the battlegrounds with no mask and gun being shot at by other people ALSO standing in the "sitting-around-area" without their own masks on, and people freezing their paint balls. I guess I must have found the right airsoft people, because we never had anything even close to that playing airsoft. It's always fun and the people are nice and pleasant. People honor the rules too!

I don't play very much though, and I have only 1 airsoft gun w/ equipment.

White Lightning said:
I like paintball more because it feels/looks more like a game/sport, airsoft looks more like pretend army. I have admittedly never played airsoft so I may be wrong, but if you watch airsoft videos it sure looks like that.
Yea, some people take it very seriously, but I also think the guys making the youtube videos are also the same bunch that DO take it very seriously =p. There are a few like that where I play, but most are pretty casual. Some games will have "kit rules and restictions" which I find really annoying, because they expect you to have the right uniform and the right gun for every occasion it seems! Luckily they usually split us into "bluefor" and "opfor", so I just make sure to get into opfor and I can wear pretty much whatever I want and use my gun without any problems =3 (because those guys are supposed to be the insugrent/militia bunch I guess). A lot of the guys will bring walkies and such, but I don't have one so I just yell X3. Doens't make me seem very stealthy, but I'm very light on my feet so I just have to keep my mouth shut and nobody knows where I am D=.

Best of all, it lets me run around a lot (which makes for a good workout session) and shoot my friends (which is fun)!

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Playful Pony said:
Yea, some people take it very seriously, but I also think the guys making the youtube videos are also the same bunch that DO take it very seriously =p. There are a few like that where I play, but most are pretty casual. Some games will have "kit rules and restictions" which I find really annoying, because they expect you to have the right uniform and the right gun for every occasion it seems! Luckily they usually split us into "bluefor" and "opfor", so I just make sure to get into opfor and I can wear pretty much whatever I want and use my gun without any problems =3 (because those guys are supposed to be the insugrent/militia bunch I guess). A lot of the guys will bring walkies and such, but I don't have one so I just yell X3. Doens't make me seem very stealthy, but I'm very light on my feet so I just have to keep my mouth shut and nobody knows where I am D=.

Best of all, it lets me run around a lot (which makes for a good workout session) and shoot my friends (which is fun)!
Essentially this, especially the last point.

For me, airsoft weapons are far more fun to use than paintball guns. They look better, feel better, they are more accurate, and ammo is considerably cheaper. 3000 BBs for £8 as opposed to £8 for 100 paintballs. Most paintball sites I've been to have been dominated by Stag Parties too, and that's not much fun to play with people that just want to get pissed and shoot one person.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I freaking love Paintball.

I do not love getting pelted by them though, Airsoft hurts a lot less than Paintball does, doubly so when you're playing against pro types with modified regulators, 450ft/s leaves a lovely bruise.

Legal issues happen too, the rules on airsoft guns in the UK are a bit restrictive compared to the markers you can get.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I prefer paintball. Although admittedly I haven't tried airsoft.

The reason is because paintball is more suited to a close environment 'sport' or game. It can be faster paced, and is more suited to 'cover based fire' than airsoft.

From the videos I have seen of Airsoft it looks like it is attempted to be played a lot more covertly... which doesn't sit well in military scenarios! Strange when it looks like that is what it is mimicking! Covering fire and fire to keep enemies heads down works best in Paintball... as was displayed at the last Escapism UK event! :p (We did one game with some great plays... we had to secure 3 out of 5 objects... with a couple of simple plays that we discussed before the match we managed to get all 5, and had half the match left to just defend them!)

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I'm more airsoft than paintball. The guns are more realistic, ammo isn't half as expensive, and, in general, airsoft clubs are home to more mature players than paintball (I'd make some CoD - Battlefield reference, but with the latest Humble Bundle, that is no longer a good equivalence). Airsoft is as much a game and sport like paintball is, however the play typically tends to be much different in realism and pace.

The only real thing paintball may have over airsoft is the fact that you know when you've been hit. Airsoft relies on honourable players taking their hits. Of course, dishonourable players in paintball can very easily wipe paint off, I've seen it multiple times. So both games have honour elements, one just relies on it more than the other. At my airsoft site, if you're caught/reported to be not taking hits, you get one warning, and then after that you're banned for life from the site.

Collegeboy21

Jan 26, 2010
I'm an airsoft guy all the way. Better looking/feeling guns, you don't need a full face mask (just eye protection), and it just feels better atmospherically.

Ziggy109

Feb 20, 2010
It all depends on the people you play with, to be honest. I've done my fair share of paintballing, but I never got into it because the paintball crowds around where I live aren't fun to play with at all. They're elitist, dishonourable, and above all else, rude. It's just not fun. When I play with friends, and only friends, it is a complete blast. Going paintballing with my friends from high school and university is some of the most fun I've ever had, but it takes a long time to plan.

In the end though, I personally prefer airsoft. The "unrealistic" nature of paintball doesn't bother me that much, but it is certainly fun to have guns that look like, well... guns. The big factor in my situation though is the group I play with. They're some of the nicest, most relaxed, all-around great guys I've played with. There's hardly ever any disputes, and when there is they're taken care of in a very professional manner. The entire atmosphere is great so if we have eight or so guys show up one evening and we've never met each other before, we'll still have fun.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
Paintball provides a much more sport like atmosphere, easier detection of hits to assign points, wins and losses, and a much more established foundation as a competitive sport.

Airsoft is much more a recreational simulation, designed around teamwork, tactics, and smart movement. It has less to do with outright competition or points, and more to do with the experience and application of skills and tactics. Much more cooperative, especially as Airsoft usually takes place on much larger fields than Paintball.

I prefer Airsoft because of the application of military tradecraft, experience and tactics. Besides, it'd be hell trying to wash paint out of my Marine stalker suit.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
I prefer paintball. It just feels a lot better visually seeing when you've gotten a hit, rather than relying on your opponent being honorable and admitting you've hit him. With airsoft it's also too easy to not notice when you've been hit, especially for those guys who play with a lot of "tactical" protective gear on.
This. I was going to write it out, but you said everything I wanted to. It really is nice having a coloured spot showing if they've been hit or not. kinda hard to argue that you weren't hit when there is a big blue spot on your shirt

stupenderifous

Aug 9, 2011
I have played both and, while it is more expensive, I prefer paintball. I find that, at least at the tournament level, people are generally friendly, helpful and there is a lot of camaraderie among teams. Most of the airsofters that I knew were friggin idiots who I wouldn't trust with an airsoft gun. God help us if they ever get real guns. Granted, that is not the sport of airsoft's fault, but it soured the experience for me, sadly.

Aug 1, 2010
Having played both, I much prefer Paintball.

Airsoft is fun, but it just feels like a softer game. More dress up and toy guns than actually avoiding being shot. Also, there's the problem of knowing when you've been hit. With thick enough clothes, it's a rather annoying problem. I've missed kills, not because they're cheating, but because they just didn't know.
To be fair, my airsoft experience was a bit amateur, but still.

Paintballs have impact. They feel so visceral. Having someone shooting at you and actually seeing the lethal paint splattering all around your position is amazing.

Also the hit detection is better.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
When I was in high school my friends and I always played airsoft against these guys we knew at school. Our team was the most ragged looking team, no "tactical gear" just whatever we thought would make it hurt less, while they had all this great gear and camo. They also played extremely dirty, and would keep shooting you even if they and you know you got hit. They also would spend hours "training" before our battles and we would just sit around playing video games and eating junk food until a few minutes before we started. It was fun, minus the assholes on their team.

I've never played paintball though.