Poll: The Aliens Series

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, Alien: Covenant will be released this week, and chances are there'll be a discussion about it here. In pre-emption of this, and in the spirit of the recent Terminator discussion (two film series where the first two films are great, and the rest...aren't necessarily), thought it would be fun to discuss/rank the films up to this point. And when I say Aliens films, I mean the first four, the two AvP films, and Prometheus.

So, on that note:

7) Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

Fuck this movie.

No, really, I'm serious. I hate this movie. I hate how dark the cinematography is so that I can barely see anything. I hate the sepia in the daytime scenes. I hate how broad the characters are, and how it's desparately trying to invoke Aliens with the army mother/daughter, and failing. I hate how Wolf's morality is as flexible as a xenomorph's tail. And above all, I hate how sadistic this film is. The Aliens series has had moments of gore, but it made those moments impactful, silently acknowledging the horror that was going on at the time (e.g. Kane's death). Requiem revels in its gore. It revels in its human sufferring. It presents me with scenes that are less "oh my god, this is horrifying," and more "blood, ain't it cool?"

The only kudos I can give this movie is the shootout at the end (of course, a pizza guy knows how to use an automatic rifle), and two hospital scenes, where we see one scene of patients being evacuated, yet when the protagonists arrive, the parking lot has overturned wheelchairs and whatnot - that's good, implied horror...that's ruined by the maternity wing scene. I...I don't...I can't...

Fuck this movie.

6) Prometheus

I feel guilty that Prometheus is so low on this list. It's still way, WAY above Requiem, and more ambitious then the next two films on this list. And make no mistake, Prometheus deserves props for its ambition, as well as its visuals. Michael Fassbender also deserves kudos as well for his portrayal of David. However, ambition doesn't quite translate into execution. I'm willing to forgive the film for retconning previous Engineer/Space Jockey/Mala'lak lore up to this point, as the Xenopedia universe has always been iffy when it comes to consistency. What's harder to forgive is the bone-headed decisions the characters make, and how things don't quite...fit, if that makes sense.

I feel the moment where Shaw tricks the Engineer into being assaulted by the trilobite is indicative of the film. This is a film that tries to deal with human origins, science, spirituality, etc. Shaw facing the Engineer is potentially powerful, because she's literally facing her maker. Man vs. God, and all that. Instead, a monster does the job for her, in B-movie horror fashion. Prometheus wants us to remember that, yes, this is an Aliens movie, in the Aliens universe, and therefore is obliged to have Alien-like things. Which would be fine, if the film could properly execute its ideas/questions. Because by the end of the film, we have few answers and more questions. Covenant apparently answers some of them, but taking the film by itself, it feels hollow.

So, Prometheus, to me, you're a mess. A beautiful, ambitious, lovable mess, but a mess all the same. You get points for effort, but not execution.

5) Alien: Resurrection

Ask someone what the best Alien movie is, and they'll usually say Alien or Aliens. Ask them what the worse is, and they'll usually say Alien 3 or Resurrection (unless they're counting the AvP films, at which point things get more varied). Looking on the 'net, it isn't hard to find defences for both films, but for me, Resurrection is the weak link in the original quadrilogy. It's separated by time, by character (Ripley 8 is not Ellen Ripley, so zip it), by setting, and, IMO, quality.

That's not to say it's a bad film, but it's by no means a good one either. It's slightly below average. The characters are...fine. Bland, unmemorable, but fine. The 200 year jump is a headscratcher, but it doesn't break the film. It's easily the most light-hearted Alien film there is of the original four, veering away from the most grim (Alien 3), but while I'm not fond of said tone, it's not a dealbreaker. However, this film is...weird. Like, artsy weird. Like, Ripley 8/Newborn/xenomorph tongue weird. It's not even an interesting weird, more like a "...huh?!" weird. And I have to ask, if Earth is such a shithole, why even care if the xenomorphs get there? How the heck is a marine corps of two centuries prior better at taking them out then soldiers of the 24th century?

Resurrection feels unnecessary. It's telling that the Colonial Marines remain iconic, and have inspired the aesthetic of soldiers in other medias (Halo, StarCraft, etc.), while the USM remains obscure. Even the Xenopedia EU makes little use of this era, and in canon, Weyland-Yutani even overthrows the USM - yep, they're really that unloved. So, Resurrection is, at the end of the day, bland. Interesting in some areas, but not in engaging ways.

4) Alien vs. Predator

I've always felt that AvP gets an unfair rep. It's not a good film mind you, but for me, it's not bad either. It's just plain average. Slightly better than Resurrection, but the two are interchanable. AvP is more generic than Resurrection, but it's less bizzare as well. It's...fine, I guess. Lex isn't the most engaging protagonist in the world, but she's still likable. The film does have some gravitas, such as when she's forced to shoot Sebastian, or when two trapped explorers discuss getting back to their children (neither of whom make it). The fight scenes are nothing special, but nothing offensive either.

I will say that the lack of gore doesn't bother me. Gore, to me, is like cake frosting - it's worthless by itself, but it adds to context. The gore of the original Predator works, for instance, because the actions it's related to are horrific in their own right - it's the act of skinning a corpse that's horrific, not the fact in of itself that it's skinned. And the yautja here aren't here to hunt humans, they're here for xenomorphs, so there's no reason for them to waste time skinning anyone.

So, AvP is fine. Average. Enjoyable in some areas. It's...fine. That's all I can say.

3) Alien 3

Alien 3 is underrated.

There, I said it. It's underrated. Or at least, the Assembly Cut is - I've never seen the original version. It isn't as good as its predecessors, but for me, it's a damn solid film in its own right. I love the aesthetic, the atmosphere, the nihilism, the closing of the trilogy (Resurrection aside). Alien 3 feels like its own film, coming off two films that also felt like their own films. I'm even fine with Hicks and Newt dying - the universe is cold, unfeeling, and it doesn't care how Ripley is affected by this. It doesn't care that Weyland-Yutani is still around, and doesn't care that all the innmates of Fiorina have to die, to potentially save mankind from an even worse fate. The EU kind of negates this sacrifice, given that Earth temporarily fell to the xenomorphs, but taking the movies in isolation, Alien 3 does feel like a good capoff. No-one will sing the praises of Fiorina or Ripley, but they did good in their last days.

Is the film perfect? No, not really - the innmates are better characters than other films on this list, but at in some sense, Alien 3 is too grim for its own good. Clemens is by far the most interesting, but dies early on. Aaron is likable, but dies. Dillon is okay, but dies. Only Morse survives, and if you forgot his name, I don't blame you. Also, the swearing - yes, I get it, they're former prisoners, but if you swear every other sentence, it starts to get tiresome. Also, the film doesn't quite have the same level of 'oomph' that its predecessors had, not to mention that while the Runner xenomorph is interesting (introducing the idea of xenomorphs taking on the traits of their victims), it hasn't aged as well as the practical effects of earlier films.

Alien 3 is flawed. It isn't quite up to snuff with its predecessors. But I think it's a solid film in its own right.

2) Alien

As I said earlier, ask someone what the worst Aliens movie is, and it would be 3 or Resurrection. Likewise, ask them what the best is, and it'll usually be Alien or Aliens. For me personally, the divide between Alien and Aliens is similar to Resurrection and AvP, in regards to pacing. But while Resurrection and AvP are average movies, both Alien and Aliens are excellent movies. That Alien comes in at #2 tells you which one I think has the edge, but let's not sell Alien short.

This film is a masterpiece of horror and sci-fi. I...do I need to explain? The characters, the atmosphere, the aesthetics, the isolation, the horror, the sense of the alien being utterly...well, alien, how there's no clear protagonist (anyone can die), etc. Oh, and the theme of defilement/rape - take notes Requiem, you can convey rape analogies in a manner that doesn't feel like schlock. Later material went on to flesh out the xenomorphs and Space Jockeys, but Alien still works as an example of how sometimes leaving mysteries works. We don't know much about the Derelict, the alien is unknown, etc. It is, IMO, a masterpiece, and in Ridley Scott's resume, second only to Blade Runner in my opinion.

1) Aliens

Let's get one thing out of the way first - Aliens, when compared to Alien, is a more conventional, more crowd-pleasing, more action-focused film. Perhaps more notably, Ripley is the bona fide protagonist, when in Alien, anyone was fair game. However, Aliens, I think does have the edge, however slightly. Which means that I'm going to both praise it, and compare it to Alien.

The film is well paced, well shot, and it takes its time - not a single shot is fired until well over the thirty minute mark. The marines are fleshed out, at least to the extent of the Nostromo crew, or at least, the ones that survive first contact. Ripley is more or less guaranteed to survive, but the others are fair game. It isn't quite as much of a horror film as Alien, but it does have horror nonetheless, such as the motion tracker. And the action is less "ooh-rah," and more fighting just to survive.

Aliens also explores different themes than Alien - Alien is more the sense of the unknown, and 'defilement'. Aliens more explores the potential parallels between humans and xenomorphs, such as 'which species is worse?' and the theme of motherhood - it's seen how Ripley interacts with Newt, how the queen interacts with Ripley, and how the xenomorphs interact with the queen. These aren't deep themes in of themselves, but are still noticable and appreciated.

I think what really seals the deal for me with Aliens is that Alien does one thing very well (horror), Aliens does two things very well (horror and action). It's also noticable that Aliens gives us a sense of the wider universe, and has been the de facto template for most EU works, and inspiration in other sources. It's arguably the more accessible film, but I don't think that diminishes it. Both Alien and Aliens are excellent, but for me, Aliens just has the slight edge over its predecessor.

But that's just me. Who knows where Covenant will fall into this list?

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
ive seen them all so far and only consider alien and aliens to be part of my head cannon as in my opinion none of the rest live up to the first two films

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I chose Aliens because I automatically thought you were referring to the Director's Cut. If not, I'd probably still choose it.

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
For me, the films go on a downward slope in terms of quality along the chronology with the exception of Prometheus. So my list is

1) Alien
2) Aliens
3) Alien Cubed
4) Prometheus
5) Alien Resurrection
6) AVP
7) AVPR

Alien Cubed is still a good-but-should-have-been-great movie from my perspective and a fine finish (or it should have been) that was marred by behind-the-scenes bullshit. Given how great Fincher turned out to be, I feel vindicated in believing it should have been as good as the first two.

Prometheus was a script that Scott should not have had control over. As a fun fact, David Giler has been a producer for every Alien-related film including the AVP movies and Scott's upcoming entries, so I'm not sure if he'd make the best decisions either. I just wish it wasn't given to whoever did write it as they didn't do a good job. Frankly, the basic idea of explaining the alien spacecraft is a bad one as it can only diminish Alien by association. I also fear the ship Fassbender and Rapace took in Prometheus is the ship on LV426 or is somehow responsible for it. Simply put; Kane was humanity's first contact with the creature and that's how it should have remained.

Massive dip when Resurrection comes up. A sheer cliff face with the AVP movies which should not have been made.

The Alien franchise needs to stop.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Aliens, Alien, Prometheus, Alien 3, Alien 4.

I like them all. I'm not that picky when it comes to movies. The internet is funny sometimes. It loves to shit on everything like it's the worst thing ever, and it also loves to praise something like it's the best thing ever. There's no middle ground. I think Prometheus, Alien 3 and 4 are all pretty ok.

Both AVP, however, I honestly don't remember anything about them, I'm not even sure I saw AVP 2. I remember one where some explorers (I think) find something under the ice (I think). Then as always, shit goes wrong. I thought it was ok at the time.

I wanna see Covenant, but since I'm not interested enough, I don't care if the trailers spoil anything, which they totally do. You could probably make a 20 minute film with the amount of trailers, teasers, look at this, look at that.

Mar 30, 2010
Alien was a brilliant thriller, Aliens a brilliant action film, AvP had some potential but they should've kept it set in the future era like the books - think Aliens vs Predator and you've just about got it. Alien 3 was a good attempt to recapture the thriller theme but suffered from horrible effects - the alien just didn't seem real and therefore not threatening, which killed the attempts at suspense. The other films in the series are just plain bad, and don't even get me started on Prometheus.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Always preferred the original Alien. I find it to be the most artsy and the second scariest of the lot. I sometimes use images from that film as my com background.

Then I choose Alien: Resurrection because I still find it to be the scariest and I reckon it has the most creative death scenes in the series.

And then Aliens which I find the most fun but it's slowly gotten worse to me over years, not that it's bad at all. First it bothered me to see how the aliens function, and then seeing the queen in action now just feels clumsy.

Dec 10, 2012
I had to go with Alien as #1 and Aliens #2, I just have too much appreciation for how good the horror and fear of the original is accomplished. It's such a pure movie; by that I mean it has a clear goal, everything in the film is aimed at that goal, and it builds to and accomplishes the goal perfectly. I believe it's the second best horror movie ever, after John Carpenter's The Thing.

Not to say Aliens isn't also great, it's just a little looser in its structure and less masterful in pursuing a single and complete goal. Definitely a close second and a classic by itself.

After that I'm really not sure where everything goes. Probably Alien 3, then Prometheus, AvP, then Resurrection. None of them are great movies, though I am confident in saying 3 is a much better film than the fourth one.

I have not seen AvP: Requiem, but my movie expert friend says it may be the worst movie he's ever seen, so I'll take his word for it :b

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ok then, here goes:

1. Alien/Aliens
3. Alien 3
4. AvP
5. Prometheus
6. Alien Resurrection
7. AvP Requiem

Alien and Aliens share the top spot. Both are massively influential landmark movies, but each in very different ways. Alien is a titan of suspense and horror, delivering a thick atmospheric soup of tense dread and fear of the unknown. Aliens, on the other hand, is one of the all-time great action movies, packed with memorable characters, scenes and juicy oneliners. Their legacy cannot be denied and if either were never made, cinema would've been poorer for it and I will stand by that statement.

Alien 3 is somewhat of a wild card. A partly failed attempt to return to the horror thriller style of the original, injecting some new ideas and themes into the mix, but ultimately one that was horribly marred by studio intervention. A sad case of too many cooks in the kitchen.

AvP I don't really hate like some, but I don't really like it either. It has some great ideas, but doesn't really do anything with them. Some action scenes that would've been neat with better cinematography. I like the set design tho, it's not an ugly movie.

Prometheus bored me and does the one thing a franchise like Alien should never do: explain too much.

Alien Resurrection. Unnecessary sequel. That is all. AvP at least added some new and interesting ideas to the Alien/Predator universes. Resurrection doesn't.

AvP Requiem ... sigh. Remember how I said AvP is not an ugly movie? This one is, assuming you can fucking see anything to begin with. Also, it's dumb. Like, inexcusably dumb. Whose idea was it to take awesome concepts/monsters like the xenomorphs and predators and turn them into teen slasher movie fodder, Freddy and Jason style?

Don'tDeadOpenInside

Mar 18, 2017
I never saw AvP2. Other than that I basically agree with Hawki's order, though I wouldn't be so kind to Prometheus. Resurrection and the first AvP are a bit underrated, as they're not actually bad films, they're just ok. They're only viewed so negatively through disappointment and the association and comparisons with the first two masterpieces.

Prometheus is the one film I would call bad. It had the potential to be a great movie with its premise, its vision, its cast. It's not a great film, it's not a good film, and it's not even an ok film. It's severely lacking in its basic narrative. It's a collection of events happening to a bunch of people you couldn't give the tiniest shit about. Even the lacklustre Alien films get the basic flow right; you build suspense, you go into a crescendo, then you conclude. Prometheus tries to reap crops without first sowing the seeds.

Alien and Aliens: both masterpieces. I picked Aliens, but seriously flip a coin. Both great in their own right.

Ogoid

Nov 5, 2009
PainInTheAssInternet said:
For me, the films go on a downward slope in terms of quality along the chronology
This, pretty much.

Alien is just a brilliant film on every score. Aliens... eh, I guess it's not bad, but it's a James Cameron action movie, far too removed from the first's quasi-Lovecraftian horror for my tastes. Alien 3 felt like a lot of good ideas wasted on a lackluster execution... and, quite frankly, I don't think any of the later films even merit discussion.

I think over the years I've been slowly becoming opposed to the very idea of "franchises" in the first place. In my experience, it almost unfailingly leads down the path of The Simpsons.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've come to dislike Aliens more and more as I've grown older, and it's fair to say I flat-out hate it when it comes to the Director's Cut.

First of all they turned the Alien from a terrifying creature into a space bug that you just blast away. The movie is supposed to show that all these high tech marines are no match against the Aliens, but... they kinda are. All they had was just a couple of unlucky moments resulting in them basically being crippled from then on. Had they not been taken by surprise and been relieved of most of their ammo they would've cleaned that place up. Heck, Ripley is able to gun down a horde of them by her lonesome later on. In this respect Predator is a better Aliens than Aliens.

Than we have Burke who is stupidly greedy in the face of almost certain death, because evil captitalism. In the first movie the message of big corporations not giving a shit about who they have to step on to get what they want worked, because the corporation in question was a faceless entity that was lightyears away on Earth. And who's only "loyal" employee was an android with a distain for its own masters. I don't care how much of a corporate shil you are, when faced with countless alien monsters coming to rip you apart/impregnate you with its alien spawn you don't get dollar signs in your eyes and proceed to screw over the only people standing between you and said aliens. Unless ofcourse you're written by James Cameron.

It also copies the first movie beat for beat, but then that's seemingly the only way Cameron knows how to make a sequel. He did the same with Terminator 2.

And that's just the vanilla version, the Director's Cut... Ugh, don't even get me started. Not that the Director's Cut of the original was much better.

So yeah, Alien all the way.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If we count the AVP movies, should not the Predator films be counted as well?

In any case, agree with the OP, only I liked Resurrection more than Alien3, and AVP second lat.

AVP:R was unforgivably awful, a rubbish attempt at a teen slasher film that Aliens and a Predator wandered into by mistake.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Really nice write up Hawki. I've got to say, I agree with pretty much all of your points and would probably rank the movies exactly as you have. Although, I am ashamed to say I've never seen Alien 3. My dad exposed me to these movies when I was younger and I think as a relatively sensitive guy and parent he found the nihilistic and oppressive tone very disturbing and we skipped over it. I've seen them all on my own/with others since but just never got around to watching 3. I'll have to remedy that.

The only thing for me is that while I do agree that Alien takes the second spot, I do think it's a little slow. It's a visual masterpiece and the sense of claustrophobia and anxiety still comes through all these years later, but every time I watch I start to fade about 3/4 of the way in. Believe me, I don't mind a slow burn, but this previous Halloween I watched it with the girlfriend and she agreed, it's a bit of a crawl in the middle. It's just not a movie I can pull out casually over and over- I need to plan ahead for it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
First of all they turned the Alien from a terrifying creature into a space bug that you just blast away. The movie is supposed to show that all these high tech marines are no match against the Aliens, but... they kinda are. All they had was just a couple of unlucky moments resulting in them basically being crippled from then on. Had they not been taken by surprise and been relieved of most of their ammo they would've cleaned that place up. Heck, Ripley is able to gun down a horde of them by her lonesome later on. In this respect Predator is a better Aliens than Aliens.
Damn right. That's how I've always felt about Aliens. They made these intimidating intelligent mysterious creatures into cannon fodder with a very restricted 'population growth' system. It stopped being a horror series with that in mind because it's giant weakness.

It's also one of the reasons I prefer Resurrection, because some of the visuals in that were horrifying enough to make it a horror again.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Yeah I think the op pretty much nailed my opinion on the series, with Requiem and Prometheus being by far the worst (I have many, many more complaints about Prom and how stupid it was that I will not go into) and Alien and Aliens being the best. In fact Aliens is probably my favorite film of all time, alongside Terminator 2, especially if we're talking directors cuts of both, though I prefer the original theatrical versions of all the others.

And after the absolute disappointment of Prometheus (I got dragged to the cinema even though I just knew deep down it was going to be terrible and ruin everything, was annoyed the entire way through, but also strangely felt that I had to watch it just because I'm such a huge fan of the series) I can safely safe that I am now done with the entire series. Prometheus killed Aliens for me. Of course, Covenant might be a perfectly fine movie that rectifies all the faults and makes everything ok again, but I don't care because I refuse to see it. AVPR was bad enough, and Prom was the last straw, fuck anything else that comes after, none of them have been able to hold the quality of the first 2 anyway, and the steady decline has reached rock bottom and is never coming back.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
Aliens is my favorite film of all time, so I gotta go with that for #1, but Alien is a close second.

And I LOVE Prometheus, so that's #3. I know, I'm basically on an island with my Prometheus love. But it's the movie I wanted Alien 3 to be. Okay, not entirely true -- Neil Blomkamp's Alien 5 treatment is the movie I wanted Alien 3 to be, but I always wanted an Alien film that provided backstory about the creature as well as more questions, because questions are always more fun that answers.

Hawki said:
6) Prometheus

I feel guilty that Prometheus is so low on this list. It's still way, WAY above Requiem, and more ambitious then the next two films on this list. And make no mistake, Prometheus deserves props for its ambition, as well as its visuals. Michael Fassbender also deserves kudos as well for his portrayal of David. However, ambition doesn't quite translate into execution. I'm willing to forgive the film for retconning previous Engineer/Space Jockey/Mala'lak lore up to this point, as the Xenopedia universe has always been iffy when it comes to consistency. What's harder to forgive is the bone-headed decisions the characters make, and how things don't quite...fit, if that makes sense.
Two things: first, I don't think you can call it retconning because it's unfair to expect expanded universe content to be honored by the movies, and the Mala'kaks never appeared in any capacity in any movie, only novels and comic books.

Second, I hear you about the bone-headed decisions. But I always felt that was part of the point of the movie, for better or worse. In both the Jon Spaihts script (which is good but reads like an Alien reboot, BTW) and more so in Damon Lindelof's rewrite, there's a theme of the major characters (Shaw/Watts, Halloway, Weyland, and even Vickers, etc.) being so hellbent on on finding the Engineers, that they risk everything to obtain the power of knowledge, leading them to make incredibly foolish decisions. Hollaway even says it himself when David asks what he'll do for answers: anything and everything. I mean...the movie is called "Prometheus." They play with fire, and before they realize they're making the same mistakes the Engineers themselves made, they get burned. So I never had a problem with the dumb or reckless decisions they made (except for Millburn approaching the worm -- while there's a deleted scene where he finds a harmless native worm/bug earlier in the film, which sort of explains his lack of caution in the film, the finish film has no such scene and doesn't really make a lot of sense that Millburn would be so cavalier about it considering it's already been established that Millburn is scared shitless).

As for the other movies....they're basically garbage. Alien 3's "Assembly Cut" is a HUGE improvement over the theatrical version, but the movie still isn't good and I'll never forgive it for killing the Aliens characters off screen. Fuck them and the ship they flew in on.

Alien Ressurrection is an unintentional comedy.

I don't consider either of the AvP movies to be true ALIEN movies. And I'm not kidding when I say that Requiem might be the single worst major release film I've seen in the last 20 years, maybe ever. It's that bad.