Poll: the "attack" on the dutch royal house

Wormthong

Jan 4, 2008
Ok as some of you know and in case you don,t ill make a short explenation here so you can follow.
Feel free to skip this part if you are up to date on what happened.

Today is the dutch koninginendag one of the biggest events every year.
It hosts lots of activities like selling things from a stand in town to just partying a lot.
the biggest activity by far are the various concerts and events in every city/village.
However today a tragedy happend on koninginendag becouse a man atempted to drive his car in to the royal coach during one of the parades in this "attack" on the dutch royal house 4 people died and around 35 people got injured.
This happend at around 12 o clock
he didnt even come close to the royal coach however becouse he slamed into a statue.
now ill skip some lines so the people that skipped this can read the rest.

I just want to say I feel very sorry for what hapened and I hope it never happens again.
However the way our goverment reacted is kind of stupid in my opinion becouse they banned all concerts and activities after 6 o clock which means that everybody that was at those concerts needs to just go home (that is including me) whats your opinion on this.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
that's BS. Punishing everyone for the actions of one person is never the right answer. If it was a big wave of people trying to run over royalty then maybe but they're acting like middle school teachers.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
i think they should've done it the other way around
cancel the rest of the parade in case the guy had a backup plan, but carry on with the later events, its not fair otherwise :(

BloodNukeHelp

Apr 29, 2009
On the other hand, the cancelled events are a sign of respect to the people who lost their family/friends today or have been hurt otherwise.

And as of now, 5 people have died.

Also, you've put the word attack between " marks, which suggest sarcasm. I assure you, the tragedy that has occured today is very severe and because the driver said its intentional, it is considered an attack.

For those who want to see what happened, here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-JLwtbbeM8

See and judge for yourself.

DestroytheTyrant

Dec 17, 2008
I think it would be ignorant to carry on with the concerts .How would you feel if your relative died during that ? Then saw people carry on at concerts smilng and having a good time not giving a crap about your grief ?

Sorry if I was a little too blunt .

Wormthong

Jan 4, 2008
yes i agree but a whole country of 16 million people becouse 5
people died is a little bit over the top in my oppinion

chomesuke

Sep 22, 2008
I was there, and saw people being given mouth-to mouth. A pregnant woman died. An a lot of people where lying on the streets bleeding. I completely agree to cancel all of the festivities, it was just a horrible sight.

Also the reason of the festivities is to celebrate the monarchy, it's very much something nationalistic, and I myself coulnd't party anymore, it was just too much.

And don't go using sarcasm, it is not appreciated.

kwaker

Mar 3, 2009
I'm dutch too and i get why they canceled the official events and concerts and such however there were plenty of other things you could have gone and do. Dont get me wrong it's horrible what happend and nobody except for that crazy guy wanted this but me and alot of other people still went on with the rest of the day, i only heard of it about an hour after it happend.

CosmicGrenade

Feb 11, 2008
Well seeing an the dutch royal family saw what happened, I think they would of been a but shocked by it and they were when the dutch Queen Beatrix was very shaken on TV afterwards.

Police officers who questioned Mr Tates before he became unconscious said he had told them he had targeted the royal family. He has now died.

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
First off, I didnt participate in Queensday yesterday.

I think they could have continued the fests, but at 20:00 they should have held a moment of silence.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
I think that they did okay in cancelling the festivities. Not because of the safety of the royal family though, but out of respect for the families of those who've died.

Police officers who questioned Mr Tates before he became unconscious said he had told them he had targeted the royal family. He has now died.
I thought he was only braindead...

And is it just me, or is this guy pretty stupid for trying to kill 20 people in a bus with a suzuki swift?

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
Alleged_Alec said:
And is it just me, or is this guy pretty stupid for trying to kill 20 people in a bus with a suzuki swift?
Yeah, I don't buy that story. He might've put a dent in a bus, but that is about it.

As for cancelling the official festivities, seems like the good thing to do at a time like that. Queensday is a day we celebrate the monarchy and this monarchy was allegedly attacked.