Poll: The Best RPG of This Generation

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Sadly, this generation there's been a considerable lack of J/RPGs. But of the few there are, many are great, great games, and I've played quite a few. So, I was wondering, what you believe to be the best RPGs of this gen?

Fallout 3: Bethesda's controvesrial addition to the Fallout series
Oblivion: Bethesda's controversial addition to the Elder Scrolls series (A pattern?)
Lost Odyssey: The Final Fantasy of the Xbox 360 and perhaps this generation
Tales of Vesperia: A reimagining of an old idea
Mass Effect: Not quite an RPG, but it's so good it deserves to be here
Fable 2: Again a controversial game that was a great game once you got past the disappointment
Valkyria Chronices: The PS3 exclusive steampunk-y RPG
Other: Things like Blue Dragon and Enternal Sonata maybe? Just not Two Worlds...

So, which is your favourite? Please explain in a post why you like it, the poll doesn't really tell a lot on its own!

I would have to say Fallout 3. It's been such a time-sink for me, 60 hours on one character and I haven't even purchased any DLC yet. I've enjoyed it so much that I've even go so far as to get every achievement for it, something I haven't been bothered to do with many games thus far.

shwnbob

May 16, 2009
Fallout 3 because the quests are great and the DLC adds more quests plus raises the level cap by 10 levels.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
For me its Fallout 3. I have one character with over 70 hours. Its just an amazing game.
And how is Mass Effect not quite an RPG. It fits all the criteria for an RPG and is my third favourtite on that list. (Oblivion is number 2)

keyper159

Dec 13, 2008
Other - Demon's Souls which is possibly one of the few games I have ever imported from Japan. Of course I'll be re-purchasing the NA version when it comes out in October just for some of those extra goodies Atlus is giving away with it.

Cahlee

Aug 21, 2008
It'll always be Oblivion for me. It's stolen more hours from me then I dare count ><

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
clicketycrack said:
Oblivion was contraversial?
Well, fans of the original Elder Scrolls moaned over it.

I'm not sure why, it's a great game, and didn't change the who structure of the game like Fallout 3 did.

It's just not as well loved amongst Elder Scrools-ites as Morrowind.

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
I'm going to have to go with Mass Effect. Having recently finally completed Lost Odyssey I do love that game, but it doesn't really do anything new. Fallout was too much of a shooter (but still awesome mind you) and for some reason I just didn't enjoy Oblivion that much...

notsosavagemessiah

Jul 23, 2009
I've got to hand it to Fallout 3. It was a streamlined and improved upon version of oblivion. A large expansive world, interesting characters, plenty of side quests, and a story that while simple, was immersive. Add on to that the ability to play using any number of play styles, and hilariously awesome weapons, and you have a recipe for success. All I can say is that fallout 3 simply left everything else in the dust. But if you want a sleeper hit, check out persona 3 on ps2. It came out this gen, but because was on a last gen machine, generally wasn't as noticed, well, that and it didn't have the words FINAL FANTASY on it.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Easily Lost Odyssey. I've written to much on said game to bother to explain why its brilliant again.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
I'd say Oblivion, Mass Effect is actually my favourite game out of those choices but Oblivion is more of an RPG.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Fallout 3, not even World of Warcraft is that engrossing and as much of a time sink.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Titan Quest. it has an awesome story, great graphics, Diablo-style gameplay, good music, great voice acting and epic bosses. what more could you want?

scrambledeggs

Aug 17, 2009
I love Valkyria Chronicles.

It's something I've never played before. I normally don't like strategy games but this one is gorgeous.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I'm stuck between Mass Effect and Lost Odyssey. It's a tough choice, both stories are great, but I felt a little more connected to those of Lost Odyssey so it gets my vote.