Poll: The Consequences of The ME III Endings

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
Having replayed ME III to it's conclusion I have begun to comptemplate what would of happened to the galaxy after your path is chosen. My opinion is that the worst possible ending for the galaxy would have to be the Synthesis ending as as all organics and synthetics are now all a mesh of the two types of organisms. This will wreck with all modern medicine as the newly meshed species will be prone to viruses of the computer kind and it will be unknown how long it would take to fix this from happening or what the computer viruses would cause to the organic halves of the individual. The former Husks now have their minds back , which I imagine were probably better off as mindless beasts unaware of what has happened to them. There is probably more I am missing here but I need to elaborate on the other endings.

Destroy the Reapers: This would seem the most reliable choice as this is what you originally set out to do but depending on your level of Galactic Readiness this can utterly destroy the Mass Relays abandoning billions of Soldiers of more than 6 species to live on a already cramped Earth not to mention the planet is already war-torn so it would be under a mass effect (heh pun)of famine worldwide caused by the destruction of the reapers.

Control: My main problem with this one is that no one man no matter how capable should have that much power as absolute power corrupts absolutely now imagine this after shepard takes control , all of his grief anger and pent-up rage from all that has happened hits him and while dealing with that quickly succombs to the other reaper consciousess.

Defiance: Whilst I like this idea , all of the species melding together into a singular force to protect their very existences after many losses eventually arise victorious with a new age of Galactic Peace and famine will sweep through the galaxy.

I can not think of any-other consequences at the moment but these are my musings, pleas tell me your own opinions and vote your own opinions.

Now for curiosity's sake on the subject of the star-child. My understanding is that it is supposed to be a collective of the entirety of the Reaper force to talk to the one being they fear and respect that are giving this 'one' person a chance to prove the woth of organics. This would have been better if instead of being on the form of a child it should of had a form based on the amalgamation of the reaper force or constantly shifting to different reaper forms.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
the worst consequence is all of them and none of them, because its all so needlessly vague you really have no means of predicting anything. we dont even know what the fuck synthesis is, what exactly destroy destroys, or how control controls. the best option is the one with the extended cut, the meta-choice where you say "fuck your nonsense, im leaving".

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
Frotality said:
the worst consequence is all of them and none of them, because its all so needlessly vague you really have no means of predicting anything. we dont even know what the fuck synthesis is, what exactly destroy destroys, or how control controls. the best option is the one with the extended cut, the meta-choice where you say "fuck your nonsense, im leaving".
I believe that one would be defiance.

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
My head canon is that the crucible was actually a reaper-designed device to use the mass relays to indoctrinate every sapient being in the galaxy, and that by submitting to the starchild you are essentially falling for indoctrination yourself.

Unfortunately, I'm not a good enough writer to come up with what happens after.

If we assume that the starchild is completely honest about everything, though, then I'd say synthesis is the worst. You're essentially turning everyone into husks without their consent, including the geth, which shouldn't be possible seeing as synthetics don't have DNA, but not only that, it's completely unnecessary. Starchild claims that it's the only way to get peace between organics and synthetics, but you can easily disprove that at Rannoch. It's not necessary for galactic peace, and it's not necessary to stop the reapers either as you have other options that don't involve committing atrocities on innocent people.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
I always took Control, mainly because I like the idea of using the Reapers as a labor force to repair the damage and in my head canon, Shepard then flies all the Reapers into the sun :p

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
I always saw Destroy as the worst option, as it destroys all technology available to the galaxy. At least with Control and Synthesis there's hope of using the Reapers and their technology to rebuild galactic society and reestablish communication, but with Destroy it seems everyone's isolated from each other for a much longer time.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
Daget Sparrow said:
I always saw Destroy as the worst option, as it destroys all technology available to the galaxy. At least with Control and Synthesis there's hope of using the Reapers and their technology to rebuild galactic society and reestablish communication, but with Destroy it seems everyone's isolated from each other for a much longer time.
Well to be fair it would only destroy all electronical or machine based technology not wrenches or cranes ,since people already know how to build things it would only take a few decades to rebuild the lost technology.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Synthesis strikes me as the worst option. Aside from the logical failings and the crappiness of the graphical execution (ermagherd, green eyes), forcing the entire galaxy to become part-organic part-synthetic hybrids without consulting ANYONE seems pretty abhorent to me, and goes against everything we've stood for throughout the rest of the series.

I'm all about Destroy. We built EDI and the Geth once, we can build them again. We met the Leviathans, hopefully we can be smart enough not to repeat their mistakes.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
AD-Stu said:
Synthesis strikes me as the worst option. Aside from the logical failings and the crappiness of the graphical execution (ermagherd, green eyes), forcing the entire galaxy to become part-organic part-synthetic hybrids without consulting ANYONE seems pretty abhorent to me, and goes against everything we've stood for throughout the rest of the series.

I'm all about Destroy. We built EDI and the Geth once, we can build them again. We met the Leviathans, hopefully we can be smart enough not to repeat their mistakes.
Speaking of the melding I always wondered exactly what that ment. I mean are the physical componants of the merged changed or halve of their DNA computer code now . .. .it's not really explained well.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Whoa... For a second there, I thought the OP posted twice and quoted himself. 0-o

OT: For me, I chose Destroy, it just felt like the best option at the time. Too bad, the Geth had to be destroyed in order for this to work.

Darren Carrigan

Mar 6, 2012
Willinium said:
Having replayed ME III to it's conclusion I have begun to comptemplate what would of happened to the galaxy after your path is chosen. My opinion is that the worst possible ending for the galaxy would have to be the Synthesis ending as as all organics and synthetics are now all a mesh of the two types of organisms. This will wreck with all modern medicine as the newly meshed species will be prone to viruses of the computer kind and it will be unknown how long it would take to fix this from happening or what the computer viruses would cause to the organic halves of the individual. The former Husks now have their minds back , which I imagine were probably better off as mindless beasts unaware of what has happened to them. There is probably more I am missing here but I need to elaborate on the other endings.

Destroy the Reapers: This would seem the most reliable choice as this is what you originally set out to do but depending on your level of Galactic Readiness this can utterly destroy the Mass Relays abandoning billions of Soldiers of more than 6 species to live on a already cramped Earth not to mention the planet is already war-torn so it would be under a mass effect (heh pun)of famine worldwide caused by the destruction of the reapers.

Control: My main problem with this one is that no one man no matter how capable should have that much power as absolute power corrupts absolutely now imagine this after shepard takes control , all of his grief anger and pent-up rage from all that has happened hits him and while dealing with that quickly succombs to the other reaper consciousess.

Defiance: Whilst I like this idea , all of the species melding together into a singular force to protect their very existences after many losses eventually arise victorious with a new age of Galactic Peace and famine will sweep through the galaxy.

I can not think of any-other consequences at the moment but these are my musings, pleas tell me your own opinions and vote your own opinions.

Now for curiosity's sake on the subject of the star-child. My understanding is that it is supposed to be a collective of the entirety of the Reaper force to talk to the one being they fear and respect that are giving this 'one' person a chance to prove the woth of organics. This would have been better if instead of being on the form of a child it should of had a form based on the amalgamation of the reaper force or constantly shifting to different reaper forms.
It is also theorized that species like the Elcor,Vorcha and Volus would not be affected by Synthesis.
I'm half asleep so can't remember the exact reasoning but it was something like:
"Blast wouldn't reach Elcor homeworld"
"Synthesis would be treated as a virus by Vorcha immune system and prevented"
"Volus suits would protect some of the gene altering but not all"

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Destroy was the only choice that made any sense to me. The reapers are master mind controllers and it seemed likely they would end up gaining control over Shepherd if he chose either Synthesis or Control. Destroying was the only way to be sure that this long and hard fight wasn't for naught. The Geth were acceptable casualties to save organic all life.

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
scorptatious said:
Whoa... For a second there, I thought the OP posted twice and quoted himself. 0-o.
Don't worry I myself made the same mistake at first, heh, and I am the OP shows you how tired I am eh, speaking of the Geth I have never once had to destroy them on Rannoch I think that is because while my Commander acts all tough he really is a huuuge idealist ,well and the fact that I always did right by Tal ( I think it's her accent and voice acting that makes me care). Why did you destroy The brethren of Commander Legion.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Synthesis, man. I don't trust the star child for shit, and it's the option he keeps pushing. Also, based on that abomination at the end of ME2, synthesis is what the reapers have been going for all along. Not to mention all the organics all of a sudden being half-machine against their will. Thinking about this ending still makes my head hurt.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
There's no reason Control can't be Destroy without consequences for the Geth.
Just make the Reapers fly into the sun.
Plus in the control ending you basically kill the starchild.

xPrometheusx

Aug 9, 2011
the worst consequence is now that Bioware got away with it as "artistic integrity" other people can do the same thing.

Wait... that's what this thread's for, right?

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
xPrometheusx said:
the worst consequence is now that Bioware got away with it as "artistic integrity" other people can do the same thing.

Wait... that's what this thread's for, right?
While it was meant to talk about the in universe consequences feel free to talk about real life consequences for the gaming industry and how it has changed it either for better or worse.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
Willinium said:
and famine will sweep through the galaxy.
What's your deal with famine? They mastered space travel, I'm pretty sure they mastered how to make food a long time ago

On topic, I chose synthesis because I like the idea of all the species in the galaxy being united and connected as one. So I'm a sap, sue me. I would have preferred an ending where Shepard beat the living shit out of the Reapers through the power of galactic friendship but that didn't happen.

Speaking of the power of friendship, does anyone else notice the eerie similarities between the Mass Effect trilogy and Persona 3? Your relationships with others determines your strength (Mass Effect 2's loyalty), an all powerful god-like enemy that you can't defeat...

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
PoolCleaningRobot said:
Willinium said:
and famine will sweep through the galaxy.
What's your deal with famine? They mastered space travel, I'm pretty sure they mastered how to make food a long time ago

On topic, I chose synthesis because I like the idea of all the species in the galaxy being united and connected as one. So I'm a sap, sue me. I would have preferred an ending where Shepard beat the living shit out of the Reapers through the power of galactic friendship but that didn't happen.

Speaking of the power of friendship, does anyone else notice the eerie similarities between the Mass Effect trilogy and Persona 3? Your relationships with others determines your strength (Mass Effect 2's loyalty), an all powerful god-like enemy that you can't defeat...
Sorry about the famine thing I having been rereading the Elenium and the prologues of the books kept on mentioning it as a consequence of the war with Zemoch. Anyway famine would make sense as the reapers would know to target food supplies and to initiate a scorthed earth policy on the planets they invade to damage the enemy and to decrease resister morale.