Poll: The Elder Scrolls Online and its Payment Model

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Alright I thought I would create this thread to get some peoples opinions on this particular subject,

I am wondering what payment model you hope Elder Scrolls Online Will use,
Not necessarily speculation, just what you hope they will use.

With that said here is my two cents:

I hope for a Buy to Play model similar to Guild Wars 2, I am a huge fan Of Guild Wars 2, particularly is payment model and so far Guild Wars 2 has been a hit, '

I hope that Elder Scrolls Online takes the same path, because if done right I will buy it in a second,

If they do a F2P Model Ill try it out and see if I like it,

If they go subscription...

I'm sorry I swore I would never buy a subscription based game so, no matter how good the game is, subscription=deal breaker

Call me spoiled or cheap, but I'm not rich and I don't play MMO's alot,

Another thing to consider is that Elder Scrolls Online will bring in ALOT of people that played the elder scrolls series, and a Buy to Play model might benefit them immensely as it would be more familiar.

But thats just me and my two cents what do you people think?

EDIT: To clarify for those confused

Free to Play: Should be obvious, free account and then microtransactions,

A model similar to DC Universe Online

Pay to Play: Subscription Based Payment Model

The old way of doing things similar to WoW

Buy to Play: Buy Once for 60$ and then have the optional microtransactions

Usually Buy to Play microtransactions are purely cosmetic think Guild Wars 2

Anthony Corrigan

Jul 28, 2011
Considering we will have to pay for PS Plus anyway to use it I HOPE its going to buy to own with Sony hosting the servers

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Count me as another hoping for the "Buy it once" option. I just wouldn't bother with it if it was a subscription model. Free to play I'm on the fence about. So long as they didn't then make it pay-to-win I'd be okay with that as well I suppose.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
I don't like F2P games, they just feel more cheap to me as the devs don't get money from it. Of course it'll probably be subscription, but if it is I won't buy as games are something I play a little and for a long time, so it'll cost me more. I'll probably only buy it if it's a one-off purchase.

Above

Oct 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure it's already been said (at least for PC) that its Buy to play, its going to be released in stores etc. and once bought, the game is free for the buyer indefinitely, like the way Guild Wars works

P.Tsunami

Feb 21, 2010
I'm not all that enthusiastic about MMOs, and I find Bethesdas RPGs to be so-so. I'm definitely not going to buy this. If it is F2P, though, I might try it out and see if I'm pleasantly surprised.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
I would prefer Buy to Play but if it turns out to be Pay to Play I would be ok with that too.

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
I am really hoping they avoid the free to play or buy once schemes. For the following reasons:

1)Not seen ftp pulled off nicely. They always try and nickel and dime you to death.
2)People have no attachment to their account. Basically means you will see more trolls. Oh so they got banned? Big deal.
3)Bug fixes: With cash flows from subs, they have a high incentive to fix things. (If they are a good company that is)
4)Content: Very slow release of new content for anything other then a sub plan. You will never see a new dungeon added for free. Or anything else. Also, because of reduced cash flows, expect any expansions to be fewer in number. (and more costly)

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Buy to play is easily the best model. Free to play turns into pay to win 95% of the time, and the other 5% are usually sub-par games. Subscription models are out completely, because I only pay once for a game.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
F2P play games piss me off. It constantly feels like there is a much better games inside this one that is waiting to be unlocked if you only pay the devs more money. If it is B2P, then I will pick it up with little issue. A subscription will have me buy it only if I get into the beta somehow to test it before playing.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I expect you're going to see primarily hybrid models going forward, with a BTP or FTP option, and a subscription option, with the subscription heavily incentivized.

ryessknight

May 30, 2013
At first i was leaning on f2p but after abit i realized that sofar most b2p mmos have not only sold well but have been better quailty mmos then alotta f2ps and even some sub games. Its worked for secret world , defiance and guild wars and guild wars 2 atleast to my knowledge. Not 100% sure that im gonna buy elder scrolls online though. Some of the "features" ive seen sofar in it have me worried that its gonna be a camp heavy bot heavy game like final fantasy 11 was. Well also if it is a sub model i wouldnt beable to mantain the sub very easily so it wouldnt be worth buying anyways. Still i do like the fact that its gonna be on ps4. I wasnt even considering buying it period no matter what model it was before cause it was looking to be pc only.

V1rax

Dec 10, 2008
I'd prefer subscription, mostly because I have a higher chance of getting better content long-term. Don't get me wrong I like Guild Wars 2, but it hasn't changed very much since I bought it day 1 and with that I get bored easily. When WoW came out I played in from vanilla to Wotlk because they always added new things in between expansions...

Now because I know how the internet will NOT like the subscription model, nor will they stick around long enough for a subscription model to be beneficial, i'd go Buy to Play. Simply because at least that way I know people will stick around long enough to create a good community for a long-term experience.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
I've had good experiences with the GW2 payment model, so buy 2 play with a currency for cosmetic stuff etc would be nice. Otherwise subscription will also go for me.

godofslack

May 8, 2011
Buy to Play. Pay to play is completely and utterly unsustainable, no one with high MMO literacy is going to pay to play, and no one with low MMO literacy is going to quit whatever they are playing right now. Free to Play suffers from a lot of terrible half developed games which sort of hurt the few and far between legitimate games that launch with that model, and it's very, very easy to fall end up nickel and diming players.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it will surely be at least a double dip with paying full price and then micro-transactions all over the place.

I'll maybe try it after a year when they are forced to go fully free to play.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
The two models that are working for various games are the Guild wars model where you buy it once and can play it without restriction and free to play with microtransactions. I dont know what their plan is, I havnt been following the game, but I personally hope its free to play with a large variety in optional things you can buy. Cosmetics and things like xp boosts are IMO the best way to run an MMO in the free to play market. Its even better if payed for items can be traded on the open market similar to Star treks dilitheium trading or in the case of raiderz where costume potions could be traded (those things were a hot item for a long time)

Subscription based games, well Im sorry but that idea just seems antiquated with a vast and thriving free to play market. If your game isnt of an extremely high quality or extemely different and engaging its just not going to do well

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
Either F2P or B2P would be fine with me, provided the B2P model allows some sort of free trial. I hate it when games demand you make an investment without knowing for sure whether you like it.