Poll: The Fall of Survival Horror

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
Anthraxus said:
Atrocious Joystick said:
Also, have you even played Call of Duty? Besides that you can shoot things and take cover to aviod other people shooting you, there is basically zero similarities between CoD and Mass Effect.
Ok, so he/she should of said Gears of War. Big deal.

The point is, that all the genres that used to have their own styles have now gravitated towards the shooter/action games that are making the big $$$$. We're talking GAMEPLAY wise here. Of course you can't romance your squadmates in CoD, and you don't have competitive MP in ME. Oh wait...
You don't think it's much more likely that Mass Effect 3's gameplay and Dead Space 2's gameplay are faster paced versions of their respective originals rather than Gears of War knock offs? There is no cover in Dead Space 2, there was also no cover in Max Payne, perhaps Dead Space 2 is a Max Payne knock off? Try playing Dead Space 2, then play Dead Space 1. You probably won't admit it, but in comparison, Dead Space 1 has pretty shit controls. Perhaps that is the reason they changed it?

It's also not like Cod and Gears of Wars were the first games to have multiplayer. Even the infallible pedestal that was Baldur's Gate had a multiplayer option. Survival horror never had multiplayer though, I'll give you that.

But then again, I never said it was a good thing they seem to be moving so far away from the scary in Dead Space, I just said that it is downright stupid to constantly call everything that isn't a turn based role-playing or Resident evil numero uno a CoD/Gears of War clone.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
*Points to DayZ*

No but seriously DayZ is pretty much the definition of survival horror, I think it's what we needed and I hope to see more things like it in the future. Horror is far from dead, I mean we have Amnesia: a machine for pigs coming out and I know I'm getting it, I love soiling myself in fear...

Bollocks to AAA, I say give the non AAA devs the money, and leave the AAA devs alone till they start making games worth our money instead of shit out sequels year after year....

>.>

<.<

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
Anthraxus said:
Atrocious Joystick said:
Anthraxus said:
Atrocious Joystick said:
Also, have you even played Call of Duty? Besides that you can shoot things and take cover to aviod other people shooting you, there is basically zero similarities between CoD and Mass Effect.
Ok, so he/she should of said Gears of War. Big deal.

The point is, that all the genres that used to have their own styles have now gravitated towards the shooter/action games that are making the big $$$$. We're talking GAMEPLAY wise here. Of course you can't romance your squadmates in CoD, and you don't have competitive MP in ME. Oh wait...
You don't think it's much more likely that Mass Effect 3's gameplay and Dead Space 2's gameplay are faster paced versions of their respective originals rather than Gears of War knock offs? There is no cover in Dead Space 2, there was also no cover in Max Payne, perhaps Dead Space 2 is a Max Payne knock off?

It's also not like Cod and Gears of Wars were the first games to have multiplayer. Even the infallible pedestal that was Baldur's Gate had a multiplayer option. Survival horror never had multiplayer though, I'll give you that.

But then again, I never said it was a good thing they seem to be moving so far away from the scary in Dead Space, I just said that it is downright stupid to constantly call everything that isn't a turn based role-playing or Resident evil numero uno a CoD/Gears of War clone.
Your talking about different mechanics instead of looking at the bigger picture. Even the first Dead Space was an action-y type horror game.

The MP in BG is going through the campaign co-op, alot different than a whole separate mode for competitive MP, don't ya think ?

Again, no ones saying they're the EXACT same thing, but they're a hell of alot closer to it than how the games used to be, and that's not good. For some ppl, they might as well be the same.

Don't you want games to be different ?
But mechanics are what we are talking about? If we aren't talking about mechanics and gameplay then what is the point is the point of trying to make any comparison with CoD or Gears of War? If you want to say that you think games are too actiony and samey today then say it. Don't try to blame two franchises for everything that isn't how you like it.

I agree that it's a sad think that truly scary horror games have become a thing of indie or low profile developers. It is one of my favorite genres as well. But I hardly think this can be attributed to devs and publishers wanting to make every game into Cod Or Gears.

I think its just alot more likely that horror naturally has a smaller audience than many other games. Basically everyone can enjoy a good shooter, some people just can't enjoy being scared. Same reason Pirates of the Carribean will always score more ca$h than even fairly big horror movies. EA will try to score the biggest buck they can when they have developed a successful franchise. The biggest buck is not in mind-wrecking horror, sadly. Got nothing to do with Gears of War.

Also, in the case of Mass Effect, what is so wrong about a third person shooter/RPG borrowing mechanics from a game that is superior at the shooter part?

Apr 5, 2008
Atrocious Joystick said:
First of, how the hell can a franchise that was EA's to start with be EA´d? (Dead Space that is). It was always ea´d.
Also, have you even played Call of Duty? Besides that you can shoot things and take cover to aviod other people shooting you, there is basically zero similarities between CoD and Mass Effect. The same goes for Dead Space 2, you could just as easily claim it has been Max Payne´d because they are both third person shooters.
There are like two big and well received military shooter franchises. Just because a sequel is faster paced and have smoother controls than the previous installment doesn't mean its Call of Duty.
It wasn't so heavily EAd before. Dead Space was like Diet-EA. Now it'll be Supersize-EA with a side-order of Origin.

Your missing my point anyway. I mentioned I was being a little melodramatic...the point is that CoD has set the industry down a path that now all games have to be made like it. ME3 however was a direct rip off with obligatory turret sections, military jargon, ranked multiplayer and map packs up the kazoo. Max Payne isn't popular enough nor was it as successful as CoD to have such an effect...excepting for the "Bullet-time" that it brought to the table almost a decade ago.

The point was that large publishers aren't interested in survival horror. Proven franchises/IPs are where shareholders invest. People who understand numbers, but neither games nor those who make or play them.

Apr 5, 2008
To clarify:

Something "EAd" has online passes, day 1 DLC (that is usually included on the disc), (ranked) multiplayer added into a formerly single-player game for no good reason, securom, some free wank DLC if you own another of their games, may or may not require origin and likely won't be available on Steam.

If a developer gets "EAd" it means they were bought out, had their best loved franchises dragged through the gutter, trodden on, re-boxed and sold. They are later shutdown. (RIP Westwood, Bullfrog, Pandemic).

If something has been "activisioned" it has been flogged to death, re-released annually with an incremented number, dumbed down and can charge a monthly fee.

A game that's "ubied" has precisely 4 bits taken out which you can buy back via uPlay. It also forces you to be online at all times.

A "rockstarred" title is one that was turned into a sandbox for no obvious reason. Mafia II for example was Rockstarred, even though they didn't have anything to do with it. LA Noire was also rockstarred.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
Anthraxus said:
Atrocious Joystick said:
Also, in the case of Mass Effect, what is so wrong about a third person shooter/RPG borrowing mechanics from a game that is superior at the shooter part?
I may not like it, but I'm not saying that there's no place for it and it shouldn't exist at all.

I know sci-fi was always neglected when it comes to RPGs, but where's our Albion, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Mars Saga or Centauri Alliances ?

They should have some amazing games now with the better technology but it's all going to waste making bullshit.

And DayZ is a mod for a game that I'm surprised even exists. Props to Bohemia for not selling out.
Well, great games have always been rare. We just tend to not remember all the mediocre stuff.
Although I sure would like a money-packed AAA developer to make something along the lines of DayZ or project zomboid. It would be nice to see a combination of the inovation that alot of good indy developers have, and the professionalism and just sheer ca$h that AAA developers have. And here I'm talking professinalism not as in moral business practices, but releasing something when you say you are, or if not informing of a delay and a new release date. And usually releasing a game at all. Not like many indie developers, who go "We'll release an update tomorrow, and by tomorrow we mean 3 months from now. And by release we mean abandon the project because we got bored. Wat u mean we unproffessional, we r indie. We r exempt from professionalism"

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Danyal said:
Haven't read the whole thread but *ctrl+f* says that nobody mentioned Day Z.

?!?!

Day Z is very popular survival horror right now, isn't it?
I did mention it, look up XD

Yes it is very popular, since it's the best thing to come out in gaming in the past 5 years IMO.

I can't wait till I graduate, then it's just DayZ for the entire holidays, woohoo!

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Anthraxus said:
And DayZ is a mod for a game that I'm surprised even exists. Props to Bohemia for not selling out.
I just like how a single mod like DayZ made Arma II sales shoot up by 500% (At least) and is still the top selling game on steam, things are looking up for Bohemia. :D

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
I've never been interested in survival horror games, but I really want them to stick around. They shouldn't be trying to make horror games that appeal to me, I'm not interested. They should be making them for people who appreciate them. they shouldn't dilute a genre out of existence because they want more people to play it. Because it won't get more people playing that genre, since the genre will no longer exist. It just leaves people who do want that genre with nothing. That should never happen.

KelsieKatt

May 14, 2008
I definitely agree that I'm sad to see what has become of Survival Horror lately. However, the bigger one I'm upset by is the Stealth genre. It's always been a very small genre to begin with and now what little is left of it is being destroyed a good bit. Splinter Cell and Hitman don't even remotely resemble what they once were and it really depresses me as there wasn't much left.

Hell, the craziest part is how few in total have been made over the years, I honestly don't think I could come up with a list of 20 stealth games, just 20. (For the record, multiple entries in a franchise don't count.)

As it is, it frustrates me how many times I've seen people make lists of their favorite Stealth games and they'll frequently toss in Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear Solid. Assassin's Creed has never been a stealth game, and the Metal Gear Solid games are more like action games with brief stealth sequences mixed in here and there between combat. They're fun games, don't get me wrong, but to classify them as "the best stealth games" seems like a bit of a disgrace to the genre itself.

Thankfully there were 3 games at this year's E3 which lessened the blow of the destruction of Splinter Cell/Hitman. Watch Dogs, Dishonored and The Last of Us all looked like they had a good bit of stealth potential. Hell, in the case of The Last of Us, it even seems to takes some inspiration from Survival Horror mechanics. Obviously it's not scary, but it seems to emphasize the feeling of tense desperation and "scrounging for supplies" fairly well.

As for Dead Space 3 though, the main thing that upsets me about is less in relation to the coop and more the fact that much of the footage looks like a mix of Lost Planet meets Gears of War. It doesn't even seem to be TRYING to be horror-ish at all anymore, it just wants to blend in with all the other straightforward shooters in the world.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well, Condemned 2 was scary, sort of. Until it hit the halfway point then... Oh. My. God. what the fuck just happened to my horror game?

Anyway DS and DS2 were never scary if you've ever played a horror game before. It's very good at making you always feel uncomfortable rather than always fucking terrified like Amnesia. I think someone somewhere called it "non-combat" that's pretty fitting.

Co-op in DS3 isn't that bad, now you can be uncomfortable together <3

DeathSwitch109

Jun 8, 2011
Yeah most of us are aware, my point was that it's success changed the landscape of gaming and survival horror more specifically.