Poll: The Great War

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
Long ago when many of us were young, and many not yet born, there raged a war of fans most brutal. On the one side was Nintendo, on the other Sega. Hatred was bitter, though often ignored during diplomatic missions to each other's homes. I myself was a neutral. My dad had a PC at home and he expected us to use it for homework, and do any game playing on it in our free time. No consoles in our house until we got jobs as teenagers and bought our own. Yet I got to know warriors from both sides of the battle quite well. Which side were you on? Were there any memories of the conflict you'd care to share?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I remember hearing there was conflict on various fronts. I never saw any myself. I had a N64 and PokeSnap and that seemed to be enough to garner a peace treaty with my neighbors who had a PS1.
If I had to choose a side I'd go with Nintendo, simply because that was the system my parents bought me. Not to sound shallow, but if they'd gotten me Sega or Playstation, I'd be rooting for them. I mean I was a kid, so I didn't care too much so long as the games were fun.

Perfect Dark was fun too. That earned more than a few peace treaties.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I didn't have any money back then I had to rely on christmas and my birthday to get a game and I would play that single game until next year so I din't really care what system it was on as long as it was a new game for me to play,

the only console war I was a part of was the PS2, NGC, Xbox war. In which I was all for the PS2... and I think we won

thoughtwrangler

Sep 29, 2014
The Console Wars were long and bitter. Like the Blood War in the D&D games, it was brutal, senseless and had no end, however it was the only thing keeping the Planes a-turning

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
As a member of the PC Master Race, I can confirm we watched the console wars of the 80's and 90's with bemused detachment. They were playground skirmishes between noisome children, and of little concern to us, ensconced as we were in our palaces of real time strategy and stately RPGs.

Then the millennia turned, and the consoles turned their eyes greedily to the heavens. "These Old PC Gods have grown complacent," they cried. "We shall topple their gilded kingdom, and divide the spoils between us!". And so they did, and one by one the edifices fell, and the Old Gods were forgotten. "The PC Master Race is dead!" went up the cry. "Now begins the Age of Consoles!".

But you cannot kill a God.

The day came when the skies boiled with dark and baleful clouds, and the earth rumbled like a dualshock controller. And yea, as the horrified people of Consoleton looked on, the earth did rend itself in twain, and from the conflagrant depths rose an atramentous Leviathan, with eyes of vermillion fire. The voices of Consoleton rose up in a single, desperate cry...for mercy, for forbearance. But the eldritch shadow beast knew naught of clemency, and strode forth, preceded by great jets of scalding Steam(TM). And as it moved the earth cracked beneath it, and the skies grew starless black. And all was cold. And silent. Forever.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I for one am against using "war" and such when referring to the business strategies of multinational consumer electronic companies, which for the sake of creating brand loyalty will have you believe you're somehow participating in a really, really important event, Obi-wan Kenobi (you're their only hope!).

There was no war. No sacrifices were made, no lives were changed, no triage was performed, no limbs were sawn off, nobody lost a parent or a child. There were no heroes, no victims, no deaths. Nobody left their homes, nobody got shortchanged on their way back from anywhere. You didn't kill anybody or watch your friend die next to you.

All you did was buy Coke instead of Pepsi. Well, your parents did.

Yes, it's fun in a childish sort of way to pretend there was a war and you were instrumental in the outcome (you weren't), or that you took the upper road and watched armies fight it out so you could collect the spoils later (you didn't). That's bullshit. That wasn't a war, any more than online communities are "armies" who fight from forums dubbed "trenches" and use their post-its as a means to "attack" other people with too much time on their hands ("enemies") and "flame" them (i.e. talk). Again with the make-belief scenario that you're doing something terribly important.

There was no war, there were no casualties, there were no survivors. You just chose between McDonald's and Burger King. One company made money, and the other company made more money.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Voted both.

I was a Nintendo kid. I had an SNES and N64. My best friend was a Sega kid. After school one day we'd go to my house and play some Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the SNES, then the next day we'd go to his house and play some Gunstar Heroes on his Sega Genesis.

Life was good.

And as we grew up and entered high school, we both ended up PC gamers and played a fuckton of StarCraft and Counter-Strike.

EDIT:
BloatedGuppy said:
Laughed my ass off reading your post, confusing a few of my coworkers that thought I was working. Thanks for that :)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I remember that war, and it was kinda stupid in hindsight.

But, my stakes were under the Nintendo banner. They were a gracious lord that bestowed the wonders of Mario, and JRPGs that were not seen under the Sega banner. They had that silly blue hedgehog who was rather rude, and never gave us Nintendo bannermen/bannerwomen a fair shake.

It was also around that time that I started courting the PC banner, and it was a wonderful relationship as well.

I was playing both sides and it was glorious will all the offerings that I was given by both lordships, and I regret none of it.

Now, I have left the Nintendo banner in all but titles since they've been acting silly as of a late, and my pledge to the PC banner is still there. It was strange times then, but I'm glad that it was gone since it was getting a little crazy and far too many sacrifices have been made in the name of 'X'. It's amazing what can happen when one gets drunk with power.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I'm afraid the war was winding down by the time I was born. The last I remember, the last, great bastion of Segas defense, the Dreamcast, was destroyed on all fronts. It was a hard fought defeat, but Nintendo had brought out Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask years before, and it quickly became a slaughter.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
I had a Sega and later Sega-CD. My, at the time, best friend, had a SNES. It was WONDERFUL! Whenever we were at each other's house, we would play whatever we couldn't get on our own systems. I remember going to his house, disappearing down into the basement and knocking out Turtles in Time or playing Earthbound for hours.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I was kinda like the Netherlands in WW1 when it comes to the Nintendo vs. Sega era. It just passed me by with little to no impact. I wasn't really into gaming back then, only owning my brother's second hand NES with, like, 3 games on it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
I was a sega kid for sure. First console was a master system, then genesis. I also had a super nintendo but preferred my genesis overall and spent more time on it.

That said though I lived through the time of the "war", I don't remember there being any big arguments or tribalism between sega and nintendo fans where I was from. When you visited a friends house and they had a nintendo/sega I don't remember anyone turning their nose and walking out in disgust cos you had the wrong console.

Way I remembered it, us kids were happy to be playing any video game, period.

When Ps1 came out though I became a total playstation fanboy.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I grew up in a Nintendo house but I loved going over to play with my friends Genesis whenever an opportunity arose. Those games were really different from what I was used to but I had the feeling that Genesis games couldn't be beaten for some reason...I was a dumb kid I guess. I stuck with Nintendo up until the Xbox/PS2/GC era when it seemed like the Xbox would be the most powerful console and in my head, more power = better games...I was wrong. I had fun with the Xbox but those things all seem to have died around the late 2000's...I can get mine to work sometimes but I've tried buying others since my original and always have really bad luck getting one of those to work compared to the Gamecube or PS2...oh well...at this point I'm back to Nintendo though I like playing around on my PS3.

esserin

Nov 10, 2014
I grew up with the SNES. Got my love of videogames thanks to a link to the past.

But I didn't know anything about the gaming world. Sega was basically nonexistent for me. So I'd go with neither perhaps favoring Nintendo if I'd known it even had competition. :D

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Wasn't even around when it initially started, and after I was born and began playing games often, I was more into Nintendo handhelds and Sony consoles.

It's also come back around to being that way now, though I spent the majority of my gaming in the past few years on PC.

Cidward

Jul 7, 2014
Nintendo at home, but my best friend's brother had a Sega, so I got to infiltrate the enemy on weekends. No regrets about not owning one of them myself, but a lot of the games were fun.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Neither. I was not allowed a console as a kid, it was 'too expensive' or 'you will just end up sitting inside all day' :(

Oh well, playing outside as a kid was fun I guess