Poll: The Holiday Season

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
Hello, Escapists

Me again, with a brand new 'nontroversy' for you all. Probably been done before, but let's rebirth it.

I known I'm not the only one to have noticed that the holiday season seems to be starting earlier and earlier each year. Decorations go up earlier and earlier (at least here in Australia they seem to be anyway) and the advertising becomes focused on the holiday season.

So my question to you, is two-fold. For the poll, when do you think the holiday season should start? Bearing in mind there is no right answer.

For the response, let's get a little more "controversial" and respond to the question: Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas or do you not care? For this one, PLEASE BE AS CIVIL AS POSSIBLE. This isn't a question intended for theological discussion (otherwise it would go to the R&P forum) it's simply a gauge of peoples caring about the terminology used, NOT WHY.

You can opt out of this question as always.

Poll answer: 1st of December
2nd question: Happy holidays.

Looking forward to the responses.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I don't mind putting up all the Christmas stuff in mid-November. Then again, I'd be sort of a hypocrite to mind it considering I already have a Christmas-themed wallpaper set on my phone:

However, I don't get placing up all the Christmas stuff before Halloween, which a couple stores around where I live certainly do. Thanksgiving and Christmas have always sort of gone together for me, so I don't really mind seeing Christmas decorations adorning the store that I'm currently shopping for a Thanksgiving turkey at. However, I've always found it odd to see Christmas decorations up at a store while getting Halloween candy. I know that both days are (somewhat) about giving, but they just seem to be as opposite as holidays get in terms of tone.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
For families putting up Christmas stuff, after Thanksgiving is my line of thought. In many places, there isn't even snow until then (I'm in Minnesota so we generally are one of the first groups in 'Merica to get heavy snow; we've had a tiny bit but nothing has stuck yet). Christmas decorations without snow is weird...(yes I know there are plenty of you who probably don't get snow period but my rules!).

For stores and whatnot, the day after Halloween is fair game. Many are gearing up for Black Friday so I can't exactly expect them to wait until the day after Thanksgiving but for God's sake stores, we don't need Santa chilling with the zombies with Halloween...

As for the "controversial" question, I say Merry Christmas because Christmas is what I celebrate. If you want to say Happy Holidays, Happy Hanuka, Happy Kwanzaa (or would you say Merry Kwanzaa?), whatever, I have no problem with that. Whatever you celebrate, say Happy/Merry that. If you're uncomfortable with that for whatever reason, say Happy Holidays. If you hate everyone, say Bah Humbug. Whatever floats you boat.

PizzaDJCat

Nov 4, 2014
From the 1st of December is just enough. We will start with the cozy decoration and scents to get ourselves in the mood. We will also get the presents together. Then we still have time for the wrapping, the meal-planning and stuff.
I love the Christmas Holiday Season, but it's sometimes overhyped.

And my wish is either Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, depends on if I see them till New Year's Eve or not.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I fucking love Christmas so I don't mind street decorations going up in November, it makes the place a bit more bright and cheerful for a couple of months.

I don't tend to do my own Christmas preparations until the last minute but I enjoy the Christmas atmosphere.

Also, I say Happy Christmas, in yo' face!

I know that it should be Merry Christmas but I've been conditioned to say happy.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Gotta vent here for a minute. While I don't necessarily hate Christmas, I hate all the fake BS that comes with it. All the people going around with fake smiles on their faces not because the are happy but because they have to keep up the illusion.

This video expresses how I feel better than I ever could. A bit NSFW

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
When it snows.

If it doesn't snow, it's not Christmas.

If it never snows, then no Christmas for you, you godless heathen from the Continent.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Personally I don't put up any decorations until about 2 weeks before Christmas day.For stores December 1st would be fine but unfortunately that's never going to happen.The store my brother works in(which sells household goods)started selling Christmas stuff in early September this year which is kinda taking the piss a wee bit

Second question: Either one is fine.I'm an athiest and I still find myself saying Happy Christmas so I'm not going to get pissy if someone says it to me

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, December the 1st seems fine to me. Any earlier than that means we get the adverts earlier and those can be quiiite obnoxious to a lot of people, even though some - like the annual John Lewis one - are apparently looked forward to.

Chalk me up for Pass The Fortified Wine.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
I like Christmas and the whole winter holiday feel but I would prefer it if it weren't as drawn out. If it started a week or two into December that'd be fine, though preferably I'd like it to start the week before the 25th and end on New Year's eve (as the clock hits midnight).

Seeing Christmas stuff getting sold in October just ruins it for me. Why not just make Christmas a year-long thing if you're gonna be that early?

Quality > quantity

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
DizzyChuggernaut said:
I like Christmas and the whole winter holiday feel but I would prefer it if it weren't as drawn out. If it started a week or two into December that'd be fine, though preferably I'd like it to start the week before the 25th and end on New Year's eve (as the clock hits midnight).

Seeing Christmas stuff getting sold in October just ruins it for me. Why not just make Christmas a year-long thing if you're gonna be that early?

Quality > quantity
There was a pretty funny topic in the How to Do Everything Podcast a while ago that had a guest mathematician walk the hosts through the rate of Christmas advertising creep. Iirc, at the current rate of advertising creep we will eventually be advertising next year's Christmas around 2080.

Edit: Found it! [http://howtodoeverything.org/post/60498980076/how-to-get-ready-for-a-tennis-match-plan-a-flea] It was also 2099. My bad.

OT: First question: December 1st. I like the idea of a month being reserved for the holiday season and it can go away with the new year. There's a week or so between American Thanksgiving and the next season, which I feel is a long enough break if you don't count the Black Friday phenomena.

Second question: I'm more used to saying Merry Christmas to folks since that was the only option growing up and I actually celebrate it, but I now say Happy Holidays because I found Merry Christmas too narrow in scope.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
For most of my life, maybe all, it's traditionally started the minute that turkey's bagged. I'm fine with that, if for no other reason than I'm accustomed to it. Roughly a month seems fine to me. When you're putting out tinsel in June, I will mock you.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
I think even December 1st is too early. I'd rather the whole hullabaloo hold off until mid-December. People like me can only maintain excitement for so long, and several months is too long. If everything Christmas-related didn't kick off until December 12th or something, I think people would be a lot more genuinely excited until and when Christmas does come along.

Can you imagine if Christmas was only celebrated every 2-3 years? It would so damn exciting every time.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
All of our Christmas decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving, which is definitely one of my favorite days of the whole holiday season. So I guess that is when it always starts for me. I don't mind if people get into the Christmas spirit earlier than I do, but I feel like it should start after Halloween at the very least.

As for my greetings, I'll either say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays. It depends on who I am talking to, for family and friends it's Merry Christmas. For strangers it is usually Happy Holidays.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
My Dad had a rule regarding Christmas back in the day. "Christmas music, decorations, etc., are not to be seen/heard until after Thanksgiving." I've since taken this rule to heart. The Holiday season has always started for me after Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving, I'll deal with the music and merriment as much as I need to.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I don't put up any decorations myself, but my mom used to start putting stuff up the day after my birthday(party) which is the 15th of December. So... about 2 weeks before seems about the maximum to me.

We tend to say "prettige feestdagen" which translates closest to "happy holidays" (literally "Enjoyable feast-days")

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
I've got a bit of a dumb question. Wouldn't "Merry Christmas" only be applicable on Christmas Eve/Day? From what little I know about the holiday's origin, it's supposed to celebrate Christ's birth. It'd be like wishing someone a happy birthday a week in advance, wouldn't it?

OT: Holiday season starts after Thanksgiving, ends after New Year's Day. Some think of Halloween as part of the season, I don't really see it.

And "Happy Holidays" seems best to me, considering there are a bunch of holidays that pop up round winter, and this is a good catch-all.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much December 1st. I mean yes it is colder before that month but that month is a slap on the face on me to say when it is Christmas especially when that month some people and kids are off for the holiday.