Poll: The next Elder Scrolls game and the obstacles it faces

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
Here's the issue that keeps coming to mind when I think about another Elder Scrolls game, location.

Morrowind is set in Morrowind (I know, shocking) which is home to the Dark Elves. Oblivion is set in mainland Cyrodil which is home to the current era Imperials. And Skyrim is set in, well, you know, and it is home to the Nords.

All of these games are pretty easily approachable to the average gamer. It's a heavy-fantasy based, medieval RPG. A genre that is quite common in video games. And all three games locations main inhabitants are very humanoid and also approachable. Elves, humans and bigger humans with fur coats.

Here's my thoughts, where can the next game possibly be set that won't be too lore-dependent/intimidating to players new to the Elder Scrolls?

Can the game really be set in a place like Black Marsh (argonian homeland) or Elsweyr? (khajiit homeland). Would non-Elder Scrolls fans be a bit too alienated at that point to join in? "you're a cat person, with magical spells and stuff. You're surrounded by hundreds of other cat people, now here's a rich lore-heavy main questline for you to attempt to follow."

---
TL;DR
I'm basically asking two questions here,
1: Are the bestial race homelands too foreign for non-Elder Scrolls fans to get into without them knowing basic lore bullet points?

And 2: Where would current fans want the next game to be set?

Hammerfell is open I suppose. We haven't had a mainly sand-terrain world map yet. Your thoughts?
P.S. Praise the Argonian master race.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Though there is a greater over-arching plot behind the scenes, no game in the series has expected you to know the world going in.

Arena didnt do it, Daggerfall didnt do it, Morrowind didnt do it, Oblivion didnt do it, and Skyrim didnt do it.

There is a reason you always start as an outsider.

Edit: I -think- Summerset is the most likely location, especially if they want to make the plot about toppling the Thalmor.

But I would -prefer- the next set in Black Marsh AND Mainland Morrowind.

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
Saelune said:
no game in the series has expected you to know the world going in.
Agreed. However, I do think the games become more enjoyable when you do have a sense for what's going on. Especially in a franchise with such intensive lore. I can't think of many games where 4 entire era's of detail are written down including the actual beginning of space and time.

Saelune said:
That's my preference as well. There's a lot of history between the Dark Elves and Argonians. Argonians are the playable race that we know least about in terms of politics and such. I'd like to maybe be a double agent of some sort in the main story. Maybe join the An-Xileel at some point.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Argonian alchemist said:
Saelune said:
no game in the series has expected you to know the world going in.
Agreed. However, I do think the games become more enjoyable when you do have a sense for what's going on. Especially in a franchise with such intensive lore. I can't think of many games where 4 entire era's of detail are written down including the actual beginning of space and time.

Saelune said:
That's my preference as well. There's a lot of history between the Dark Elves and Argonians. Argonians are the playable race that we know least about in terms of politics and such. I'd like to maybe be a double agent of some sort in the main story. Maybe join the An-Xileel at some point.
Well, thats why people need to get over it and replay the past games.

I am currently replaying Morrowind, and re-delving into the lore. I used to play skipping everything cause I knew everything, but this time I read everything. I learned alot I missed or ignored by reading every little bit Vivec tells you when you come to him for Wraithguard.

I am also currently collecting all 36 Lessions of Vivec cause I never actually read any of them.

I just want to see "modern" Morrowind, post Red Mountain erupting, post Tribunal, and seeing it now that Black-Marsh basically conquered it.

Plus having much of Morrowind, the mainland which we did not see in TESIII, allows more room since if they do Black-Marsh, they might only do half since much of it is near impossible for any non-native to traverse.

Plus I want to see what the hell a Sload is finally.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Saelune said:
Edit: I -think- Summerset is the most likely location, especially if they want to make the plot about toppling the Thalmor.
I hope they skip ahead in the future, to where that conflict is already over with, and we get to see the state the world is in.

That said, I just want them to go somewhere we haven't seen in a main game. That means Summerset is a contender, and it would be cool to see for sure. Valenwood would be cool, but obviously we don't have the tech to do that place justice. I think Black Marsh or Elsweyr would be a great choice. I don't agree with people who say they won't be able to connect with them because they are beast provinces. I always wanted to play in areas that were fantastical! After Oblivion and Skyrim, I want to see a place that is otherworldly, similar to Morrowind.

I hope they expand on the dialogue and choices though. The combat in Skyrim is fine, leave it alone and just give me some great stories!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Glongpre said:
Saelune said:
I hope they skip ahead in the future, to where that conflict is already over with, and we get to see the state the world is in.

That said, I just want them to go somewhere we haven't seen in a main game. That means Summerset is a contender, and it would be cool to see for sure. Valenwood would be cool, but obviously we don't have the tech to do that place justice. I think Black Marsh or Elsweyr would be a great choice. I don't agree with people who say they won't be able to connect with them because they are beast provinces. I always wanted to play in areas that were fantastical! After Oblivion and Skyrim, I want to see a place that is otherworldly, similar to Morrowind.

I hope they expand on the dialogue and choices though. The combat in Skyrim is fine, leave it alone and just give me some great stories!
As I said, there is a over-arching plot of the TES games. The Fall of The Empire has been growing since the first game. Hell, the character Wulf (supposedly the spirit of Tiber Septim) in Morrowind said basically "Maybe its time for something different than The Empire?"

If they intend on keeping that going, I expect very much we as players will topple the Thalmor, and possibly the Empire with it. Hell, one of the games may even go so far to make the player the next ruler or something. We've already become a Daedric Prince.

Game-wise, I just want more depth and quality like Morrowind. It seriously is hands down the best in the series.

Faaip

Move Along
Jan 4, 2009
After the huge success of Skyrim I don't think they'll have much of an issue selling the game regardless of where it is set. None of the TES games really require any understanding of the lore to jump in.. in fact a lot of people I know who love Skyrim didn't even realize there were four games in the series that came before it. I think that's one of the strengths of the series.. plus you can choose any race so people can still be human/elf if they want.

Personally I'd like to see the next game set in Valenwood or perhaps Hammerfell. I wasn't a big fan of what little of Black Marsh we saw in Oblivion. I agree with Saelune too though.. I'd love to see a bit more depth and emphasis on the rpg elements than we had in Skyrim.

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
Faaip said:
Personally I'd like to see the next game set in Valenwood or perhaps Hammerfell. I wasn't a big fan of what little of Black Marsh we saw in Oblivion. I agree with Saelune too though.. I'd love to see a bit more depth and emphasis on the rpg elements than we had in Skyrim.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was absolutely 0 Black Marsh playable area in any of the games (except "The Elder Scrolls: Travels"). I know in Oblivion we could reach "Blackwood" which was on the border of Black Marsh.

But the thing that makes Black Marsh unique is the Hist trees, which Blackwood had none of. They control the environment and what grows there, so it's really beautiful in a toxic swampland-deadly-to-everything-that-isn't-an-argonian kind of way.

Faaip

Move Along
Jan 4, 2009
Argonian alchemist said:
Faaip said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was absolutely 0 Black Marsh playable area in any of the games. I know in Oblivion we could reach "Blackwood" which was on the border of Black Marsh.
No you're correct. I was referring to the Blackwood/Leyawiin area in the southeast part of Cyrodiil. Its dark, scary and unpleasant so I don't think I could handle Black Marsh haha

I'm just not a swamp fan in most games.. whether its Dark Souls or Banjo Kazooie. Though I'm sure Black Marsh would still be an interesting region to explore, and I'd still play it :D

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
*reads*
You're not familiar with Morrowind's ecology are you? It's a strange alien ecosystem.
Personally I'd probably want a daggerfall style cut of Valenwood an Elseweyr. We could call it "Dominion".

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
Souplex said:
*reads*
You're not familiar with Morrowind's ecology are you? It's a strange alien ecosystem.
Personally I'd probably want a daggerfall style cut of Valenwood an Elseweyr. We could call it "Dominion".
I've finished Morrowind 3 times and have read the books. Rest assured, I am.

There are two big parts to every Elder Scrolls game. The location and it's main inhabitants. An alien ecosystem isn't as jarring for new players due to the entire map being filled with familiar, easy-to-understand humanoids that are very much like real life humans, just with slightly pointed ears, red eyes and a blue-ish complexion. This combination creates a nice balance.

Replace the inhabitants with Khajiit and what do you have? An alien ecosystem filled with humanoids that speak in third person and have 9 VERY distinct physical forms based on where the moons are in the sky when they are born.

One minute the new player will be talking with a Suthay-Raht (humanoid cat-like Khajiit) and the next moment they'll be having the exact kind of conversation with an Ohmes-Raht (Khajiit with human features). Then 30 seconds later a Pahmar (lion) walks up to them and talks plain english in third person to them as well. And all those people he just spoke to are literally blood-related and not different animals. Add all that on top of an ecosystem with alien plants and creatures and it'd feel pretty overwhelming for new players.

I thought I brought my point across pretty clearly in the OP.

God'sFist

May 8, 2012
Argonian alchemist said:
Bet family gatherings are a bit hectic not to mention when the housecat has a human-esque husband or wife.

Ot: I'm in favor of Valenwood simply because they're my favorite race. Started playing them in Oblivion because they where short and they like trees.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Argonian alchemist said:
Souplex said:
*reads*
I've finished Morrowind 3 times and have read the books. Rest assured, I am.

There are two big parts to every Elder Scrolls game. The location and it's main inhabitants. An alien ecosystem isn't as jarring for new players due to the entire map being filled with familiar, easy-to-understand humanoids that are very much like real life humans, just with slightly pointed ears, red eyes and a blue-ish complexion. This combination creates a nice balance.

Replace the inhabitants with Khajiit and what do you have? An alien ecosystem filled with humanoids that speak in third person and have 9 VERY distinct physical forms based on where the moons are in the sky when they are born.

One minute the new player will be talking with a Suthay-Raht (humanoid cat-like Khajiit) and the next moment they'll be having the exact kind of conversation with an Ohmes-Raht (Khajiit with human features). Then 30 seconds later a Pahmar (lion) walks up to them and talks plain english in third person to them as well. And all those people he just spoke to are literally blood-related and not different animals. Add all that on top of an ecosystem with alien plants and creatures and it'd feel pretty overwhelming for new players.

Fantasy is fun for the fantasy. I still remember when I first played Morrowind and saw a Silt Strider and got scared and turned off the game. (I thought it was an enemy).

I just think that it is kind of silly to worry that gamers are going to play this game and have some sort of existential melt-down.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I hope it's Elsweyr. Skyrim was great, but ultimately visually rather dull. The color pallet was essentially gray, white, darker gray, brown and occasional green. Ragged, snowy mountains can maintain interest only for so long. Maybe it's because I have a soft spot for Far Cry 2, or because the European model fantasy settings are horribly overused, but I would absolutely adore an Elder Scrolls set in lush jungles, savannahs and arid deserts. I haven't really played a game since Far Cry 2 that would have scratched that environment itch.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
bartholen said:
I hope it's Elsweyr. Skyrim was great, but ultimately visually rather dull. The color pallet was essentially gray, white, darker gray, brown and occasional green. Ragged, snowy mountains can maintain interest only for so long. Maybe it's because I have a soft spot for Far Cry 2, or because the European model fantasy settings are horribly overused, but I would absolutely adore an Elder Scrolls set in lush jungles, savannahs and arid deserts. I haven't really played a game since Far Cry 2 that would have scratched that environment itch.
I was hoping Skyrim would be snowier.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
And just to put it out there, I just defeated Dagoth Ur, so...you're welcome. (First time I beat Morrowind on PC, though I have beaten it on Xbox multiple times before)

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
bartholen said:
Fantasy is fun for the fantasy. I still remember when I first played Morrowind and saw a Silt Strider and got scared and turned off the game. (I thought it was an enemy).

I just think that it is kind of silly to worry that gamers are going to play this game and have some sort of existential melt-down.
That's not quite what I'm suggesting would happen :p
But I think it'd be harder to market a game set in Elsweyr than in, let's say, Hammerfell. But hey, I could be completely wrong. Maybe "The Elder Scrolls VI: Elsweyr" will sell more than Skyrim. But my gut instinct just says that it wouldn't.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Argonian alchemist said:
bartholen said:

That's not quite what I'm suggesting would happen :p
But I think it'd be harder to market a game set in Elsweyr than in, let's say, Hammerfell. But hey, I could be completely wrong. Maybe "The Elder Scrolls VI: Elsweyr" will sell more than Skyrim. But my gut instinct just says that it wouldn't.
I think you quoted the wrong person. It was Saelune, Nerevarine, that said that.

I think it worth noting that she's been playing Morrowind, and more generally, that Morrowind is/was a popular game. It is the ES game that looks least like the standard medieval fantasy setting. So I do actually think a Black Marsh / Elsweyr game would be popular. I'd like an ES game where I can be a big cat and climb trees etc.

Argonian alchemist

Master-level alchemist
May 5, 2011
Well judging from this thread it seems current Elder Scrolls fans are 100% okay with a bestial race homeland. I'd like input from someone who hasn't played any Elder Scrolls but that's unlikely to happen, not sure why they'd bother entering this thread.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Argonian alchemist said:

I think this is a misconception. I don't think a completely alien landscape and inhabitants is off putting at all. Videogames allow you to enter new worlds. People want new and exciting places.
Seeing lizard people with claymores is a lot more interesting and cool, than seeing a human with a claymore for the umpteenth time.

Maybe it's just me, but having humans always be the sole focus is really boring. Mass Effect, Kotor, Skyrim, Oblivion....They all are mostly human. In Kotor especially, I always wanted to make an alien species jedi. I don't want to play as a puny human, when in this fantasy world I could instead be an Iridonian like Darth Maul, or maybe a sand-person jedi.

And it's not like humans won't be prevalent in an Elsweyr game. There will be traders, and travellers and probably people who live there. If they are worried about people feeling alienated then they could set it up so you start in a settlement with a mainly Breton, Nord, Imperial, etc. population.

I want them to use their imagination. Now is as good a time as any.

/rant