Poll: The Old Republic: Will it fail?

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Yeeees, I resurrect this discussion many months after people forgot about those comments made by that person saying that The Old Republic is spunk and will blow as hard as the Death Star blew up (always with the Star Wars jokes, what's wrong with the world and myself?) so that I might get an insight into what the gaming community thinks of the upcoming MMORPG release.

There are reasons to both be optimistic and pessimistic. Some might putting their faith in Bioware and see it as a fresh spin on the MMO-formula with lots of potential for greatness while others might see it as an overambitious WoW-clone on a collision course with the Death St-Oh wait, I already made that joke. Fuck... Collision course with that donut in The Phantom Menace? Point is, people are divided on what to expect.

Personally, I think it'll go down like a *****. It's main selling point is fucking voice-acting and it looks like World of Warcraft IN SPACE but with far less development time, which is usually what kills every single MMO going up against that ************. And let us not forget that Guild Wars 2, the upcoming MMO that actually looks original and GOOD, is proving to be much more interesting than The Old Republic ever was.

But I'm Swedish and therefore my opinion is stupid, so why don't all of you talk about how you think The Old Republic will manage when it finally comes out? Unless you're Swedish, in which case everyone will ignore you because I'm spreading false propaganda about our nation being twats. Down with the establishment and all that crap.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
It has a good chance of being the best MMORPG out there after WoW, Bioware have a great history with RPGs, let's see how they pull off the MMO part. Also having EA around isn't encouraging. Part of Blizzard's success is the fact that they never skimp on quality and they take their time to make sure everything is polished. Sure, they do seem to be stretching themselves a bit lately. EA however is known for exactly the opposite, often rushing developers (See Dragon Age2).

I do hope however that it will be very good. As much as I like WoW, some competition is never a bad thing.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Cherry Cola said:
Fuck... Collision course with that donut in The Phantom Menace?
Obviously it'll pass right through the whole in the middle and be fine.

Also, not actually directed at you (well maybe a little), but I'm so tired of people bringing up Guild Wars 2 all the time when discussing TOR's possible financial future. The two titles are not competing for the same subscription base. Because GW2 doesn't have one. I, and many other people, will play GW2 in addition to a subscription title. Its not anywhere close to one or the other like two competing subscriptions.

And I've played TOR, unlike GW2, and can safely say that I will be purchasing it.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
seeing as how the pre-orders are selling like hot cakes, I think it'll do alright. besides, can you define 'good' and 'fail'? does it fail if it doesn't get the same number of subscribers as WoW? and who decides what makes an MMO 'good' anyway?

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
It's Bioware + Star Wars, it would take a tactical genius to get real failure out of that.

But I doubt it'll get WoW level subscribers. Not that it needs to.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
If by "fail", you mean "will it overtake WoW?" then yes, it will probably fail for a long time. If you mean "fail" in the sense of APB (that's an actual fail), then no. Not in the slightest.

I'm looking forward to it, reception from those who have been playing it has been very positive for the most part, so that's at least one subscriber they've got. Considering physical pre-orders have already run out for the time being, I think they're probably safe.

Having said that: £45 to pre-order a regular digital copy is a fucking rip-off. Fuck you Origin.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Floppertje said:
seeing as how the pre-orders are selling like hot cakes, I think it'll do alright. besides, can you define 'good' and 'fail'? does it fail if it doesn't get the same number of subscribers as WoW? and who decides what makes an MMO 'good' anyway?
It will fail if it doesn't turn in a profit, or if it loses its popularity within a year, and it's good if you like it.

Now ask yourself: Did you really need those two defined? Did you really? Really? I doubt it, considering that there's a clear separation between failing and being-of-poor-quality-but-still-making-money, leaving little options for a definition of failing other than the fact that it means that the product fails to turn a profit, so that one shouldn't have been a problem for you, and I shouldn't even have to point out the fact that in the context of my comment it is so painfully clear that I am asking of what people think their perception of the games quality is going to be when it comes out that the only person who needs to ask for a definition of good is either not paying attention, or is trying to look like a smartass but failing hard.

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Woodsey said:
If by "fail", you mean "will it overtake WoW?" then yes, it will probably fail for a long time. If you mean "fail" in the sense of APB (that's an actual fail), then no. Not in the slightest.
I mean an APB fail.
Tentickles said:
I love how biased your poll is. Will you upgrade it please?
No.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Cherry Cola said:
Woodsey said:
I mean an APB fail.
Well then obviously not. You'd need the mental capacity somewhere between that of a sperm and wooden cupboard to anticipate that.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
Cherry Cola said:
Tentickles said:
I love how biased your poll is. Will you upgrade it please?
No.
In that case your thread is fail, sir. You have no understanding of game economics and what constitutes a success in the game industry.

I suggest you wait until EA/BioWare release the approx number of people who have pre-ordered. The Collector's edition is sold out already and it's the 1st day of preorders?

It will not APB fail for 2 reasons:
Star Wars
Bioware

Bluntknife

Sep 8, 2008
It won't de-throne warcraft.

In the first month there will be a massive player base.
As every other MMO that base will dwindle down to only starwars fans.

I think it should keep enough people to remain profitable though.

Imper1um

May 21, 2008
Nothing will De-Throne WoW, but it will provide another base for people that don't like WoW (like me) and want to play an MMO.

I have played the game personally, and I really like it. It got me addicted, and I can't wait until I can play it...hopefully within then next year.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
It can't do any worse than star wars galaxies thats for sure.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
How I see it, it will have an initial boom of subscriptions that will drop down drastically in the first 6 months to mediocrity and then after a year or two it will turn ftp like everyone else. The process might be accelerated since ftp seems to be the fad these days, or maybe they're too proud for that and will try to hold it off for as long as they can but I honestly don't see it becoming a humongous comunity that would last for several years if they stay on subscriptions.

Tentickles

Oct 24, 2010
Cherry Cola said:
Personally, I think it'll go down like a *****. It's main selling point is fucking voice-acting and it looks like World of Warcraft IN SPACE but with far less development time, which is usually what kills every single MMO going up against that ************.
WoW Development time: 4-5 years
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/worldofwarcraft/news.html?sid=2810134
Started in 2000 released in 2004

SW:TOR development time: 5-6 years
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/star-wars-the-old-republic/news.html?sid=6199726&mode=news
12 Fulltime story writers have been working on SW:TOR since 2006

Kenami

Nov 3, 2010
It'll be good but will have trouble keeping people interested in 3-4 years. I think Extra Credits said it best that it's hard for an MMO to thrive even if its good because everyone's friends are playing WOW anyways. I love Bioware but I don't see the point in making a Star wars MMO, the appeal is certainly there and the cutscenes have looked fantastic but I view the game as an outside spectator mostly since I do not own a gaming PC, it's like a nice game I know I'll never play.