Poll: The Quick Force Awakens Poll!

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
It's a transition movie meant to usher in a new era of films, as well as create a bridge to an older one. As such, it has a lot to do, and not a lot of time in which to do it. It has pacing issues, and doesn't always make good use of its time.

It's also highly entertaining, and frequently captures the "feel" of "classic Star Wars". There is a clear understanding on display of what made the original films iconic cinema.

It is not in any way, shape or form comparable to the absolutely woeful prequels, which are among the worst films made in the modern era and demonstrate shocking incompetence on almost every level of their construction.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Mediocre at best, well not really, slightly better than mediocre I'd say, eh, it had too many problems to be truly good, Kylo Ren is an annoying villain[footnote]I do not agree witht the consensus that it's a good version prequel Anakin, it's done better but it's still done rather poorly.[/footnote] and JJ Abrams "Mystery Box" writing style is as annoying as ever, it was predictable and clich?, but it was done competently enough to be passable and the comedic timing was surprisingly very goo, the writing was still bad but the actors had enough charisma and skill to make it work, but just barely, if anything it's a good promise of incoming better movies and not much else.

I must also add that Han's death was both too obvious and poorly done, I wanted to feel emotional and to want to cry when it happens, but it just wasn't well done, I didn't see anyone cry at the cinema either, how can you fail to make Han Solo's death emotional, instead of feeling sad, I was rolling my eyes because the outcome was stupidly obvious.

Anyway, overall I'd say it's worth the watch but that the same critical phenomenon that happened with the prequels is repeating itself, basically the movie is mediocre but because it's Star Wars everyone is pretending it was great because we all want it to be great so bad, and it's working better than with the prequels because, it's not bad, it's just OK though.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I liked it. I was a little nervous when Luke turned off his targeting computer, though. At least they managed to rescue Leia before Vader killed Obi Wan.

Edit: The acting is a lot better than in either the original trilogy or the prequels. That can be a plus or a minus, depending on your point of view.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
It's a pretty good movie, and this is coming from a fan.

Except i'm not super uptight and can let things go. While there are some leaps of logic and flaws that can stick out, there's not very many of them, and the movie just works for what it is. Especially when you know that much of it can be answered in sequels, which is good or bad depending on who you are.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I voted the second best option. I really liked it a lot. It's not pure bliss to watch, but I recommend it to anyone, not just Star Wars fans.

Of course, I don't hate the prequels with a burning passion, so my opinion may be considered void by many people.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
After the first time I saw it, I'd have gone with the second option of "it's pretty good."

But now that I've seen it a second time, I think it's awesome. Definitely a movie that rewards repeated viewings, lots of little moments and shots and lines that got lost for me in the first viewing and which ended up adding a lot more to the experience the second time around.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Found it average and 'safe', but this is speaking as someone who loved the EU and was quite upset by the decision to scrap it, so much that I almost didn't want to see the movie. The first trailers made it look like a fan film.

Ren was the tipping point for me. Not only is he a subversion of the typical Sith Lord we've come to expect (the lack of a Darth title was kind of a giveaway that he's new to the role) but he's like a love letter to one of the most dominant plot arcs of the EU, that of Han's fallen son.

After he fell, Luke withdrew from the galaxy in grief and anguish... just like in the EU. He even looks like Jacen Solo, albeit with a bit longer hair, and several of his lines are direct-ripped from Jacen's most iconic ones ('TRAITOR!'). That had to be intentional, and it shows that someone high up in the production crew actually read the (good) books and is showing them due respect. After their little talk in the interrogation room, I started thinking of Rei as alternate-galaxy Jaina (tough young girl, ace mechanic, speaks Wookiee and Droid, heir to the Skywalker bloodline) and it all made sense.

Finn seems like the breakout character, even if he was the one showing a bit too much inner fanboy towards the old cast.

More generally, I hope the following episodes give us more detail about how the Empire's remnants transformed into the First Order and what/who exactly Snoak is (lots of theories). But, for someone younger who wasn't carrying all this past baggage around and only saw the movies and nothing else, I can see why they would enjoy it. I suppose I eventually have to let go and accept these changes at some point- overzealous attachment is the path to the Dark Side.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
The best Star Wars film since Empire, easily.

The plot was pretty conservative as far as Star Wars goes, but the characterisation got a much-needed kick up the backside. I'm genuinely invested in these characters.

I left the theater with the same reaction I had after seeing Mad Max: Fury Road. Actually had there not been any prequels (urgh), I'd say that the Star Wars films have a lot in common with the Mad Max films in terms of progression. You have the first film that had budgetary constraints, trying to break into a market that few had confidence even existed. Then there's the second which expands upon the first and really "establishes" the universe, and then there's the third which is equal parts fantastic and completely ridiculous. Oh, and then thirty years later there's another one that's miraculously good.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
I thought it was good as it could be. No one would expect to triumph over the original trilogy, but the minor annoying bits do not make the film less enjoyable. The effects were top notch, the aliens looked as real as in the originals and the fights/chases were quite enjoyable.

They opened a can of worms, but one I will gladly chew over until they hopefully explain most of it in Episodes VIII and IX.

I didn't like how they retreaded the original, but then I realized it makes sense. The whole set of trilogies are cyclical, the rise and fall. And if that's what it takes to make good-to-great Star Wars movies again, I'm fine with it.

I just hope the cliffhanger at the end of VIII is a good one.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
i enjoyed it, liked it more than the prequels and was good to see the old gang back having moments again, like the new characters of rey and finn, and the new droid actually had a range of emotions

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
It's worth at least one watch, I reckon. It's enjoyable enough, the characters are good as is the directing for the most part, but don't go in expecting anything ground-breaking or original on the story side of things.
It's basically a beat-for-beat retread of A New Hope in terms of plot.
I'd put it close to Return of the Jedi in terms of enjoyment; better than the prequels but not as good as the either New Hope or Empire.

Prepper247

Dec 15, 2015
I didn't like it because they didn't advance the storyline much but I understand it's to rope in a new generation so I'll give them a pass.