Poll: The term "gamer"

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Is it just me, or does the term "gamer" annoy anybody else? I can't quite fully articulate what I don't like about it, but I guess it annoys me because it seems like anybody who has touched anything remotely related to games is automatically labeled a gamer, and is assumed to be part of some quirky social order, as if there is some "Gamer HQ" where people dressed up as Gordon Freeman and Mario plot to take over the world.

Also, how cool would it be if Gordon Freeman and Mario took over the world?

Oct 19, 2008
I think that the term Gamer is too generalising, Gamer should be a word that's used only for serious gamers, or, we could be called Players. :) Which has a much better ring to it.
And yes Gordon Freeman and Mario would be awesome as overlords of all mankind.

mr mcshiznit

Apr 10, 2008
Honestly i'm totally cool being called a gamer. I mean its just like being called a jock or anyother label. This however this is coming from someone who is not bothered by 99% of the shit thats talked about him.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
It annoys me because I don't think it's a useful subcultural label. Games are so varied and tastes and experiences are so varied that "gamer" is pretty much meaningless.

I don't identify as a member of some kind of "TV-watcher" or a "book-reader" subculture, after all.

-- Alex

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
I prefer the term "gamer" over anything else.
It shows I'm smart enough to spend my down-time having some SERIOUS fun.

CeeJay

Jan 4, 2009
Alex_P said:
It annoys me because I don't think it's a useful subcultural label. Games are so varied and tastes and experiences are so varied that "gamer" is pretty much meaningless.

I don't identify as a member of some kind of "TV-watcher" or a "book-reader" subculture, after all.

-- Alex
But consoles aren't 'furniture' yet - even people who say they "don't really watch TV", still have a TV.
I think the term 'gamer' is valid. It's just like calling someone a 'film-buff'.

P.S. I'm not a 'reader' ;)

Cogings

Jan 15, 2009
I'm not a big an of being called a gamer, its more stereotyped in a negative way I feel!
WE NEED CHANGE!

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Alex_P said:

-- Alex
I'm a "watcher."

Anyways, I like it, it allows me to feel part of a sub-culture, and in leu of a better name for us it'll have to do.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Part of the reason it annoys me is it is just another example of society needing to give everything a label, and all we end up getting from it is a wierd, useless term that people can then exploit by targeting something towards the "gamer" subculture.

EDIT- See that period at the end of the last sentence? Yeah, that wasn't always there.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
I couldn't care less what someone calls me. It makes no real difference to me anymore. Maybe I would've cared in High School, but that's just because I hadn't had any real problems yet.

Mookie_Magnus

Clouded Leopard
Jan 24, 2009
I personally don't care if I'm called a gamer or not. I know that compared to my gamer friends, I'm not hardcore. But to anyone else, I say: 'Why the fuck should I care what you think about me?'