Poll: The Top Most Insulting Things Video Games Charged Money For--Are you guilty?

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
To sum up an article on cracked (http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-most-insulting-things-video-games-charged-money-for/):

The ten most insulting pieces of DLC are:

10. Horse Armour-Oblvion
9. Weapon Skins- Gears 3
8. Paying for Power-ups (Dead Space)
7. Warden's Keep (Dragon Age: Origins)
6. Rezurrection (Call of Duty: Black Ops)
5. Everything (Railworks: Train Simulator 2012)
4. Color Pack (Street Fighter III: Third Strike)
3. Buying Money (Godfather)
2. Pay Instead Of Play (Tales of Vesperia)
1. Snooki Hair (Avatar Item)

I gotta admit, I am guilty of getting some shotgun weapon skins on Gears 3 because...well...I wanted a pink shotgun and a shotgun with rainbows.

Anyhow Escapists, are you guilty of purchasing frivolous DLC? Are there any cases of DLC out there actually worse then the ones mentioned. Does anyone actually play Train Simulator??

EDIT: Well, I got the Warden's Keep DLC but I got the shiney new edition that came with Shale and whatnot. I'm not sure if that counts :/

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
The only one I have in that list is Warden's Keep, and that's just because I bought the complete edition on Steam.
So no, not really.

the spud

May 2, 2011
1. no
2. no
3. no
There you go. That article is a very fun read (I read it earlier) and I reccomend everyone go check it out.

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
Why was Rezzurection so bad? Its not like those maps where BAD, and not everyone had the chance to play WaW back when it was popular. Plus, the maps where by no means free back then, either, so you are actually getting a deal by buying them all at once for the new game.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
The sad thing is that they will continue to do these kinds of things of anybody at all buys them since they require next to no effort. I find the gears 3 dlc to be the most shameless, up to $50 for weapon skins? WEAPON SKINS?! are you mad?

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
If i had a credit card back when Dragon Age: Origins came out, i probably would have bought Wardens keep, but i did not, so i didnt.
But i'd hardly say it was completely frivelous, sure it was only like 1 medium length quest but it did add quite a few new stuff to the game, more than just aesthetically.. although it was Day 1 DLC which as we all know is a dick move...
I do however own Wardens Keep now seeing as i bought the Ultimate Edition when it was on sale on steam for less than the price of Awakening on its own.

In short, to answer your question: No.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I almost never buy dlc let alone pointless dlc. I don't have money to just spend on useless things which mostly includes dlc

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Yes, I'm guilty of the train one. I have spent over a thousand pounds on trains.

TRAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNNNSSSSSS!!!!!

xvbones

Oct 29, 2009
Brian Hendershot said:
To sum up an article on cracked (http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-10-most-insulting-things-video-games-charged-money-for/):

The ten most insulting pieces of DLC are:

10. Horse Armour-Oblvion
9. Weapon Skins- Gears 3
8. Paying for Power-ups (Dead Space)
7. Warden's Keep (Dragon Age: Origins)
6. Rezurrection (Call of Duty: Black Ops)
5. Everything (Railworks: Train Simulator 2012)
4. Color Pack (Street Fighter III: Third Strike)
3. Buying Money (Godfather)
2. Pay Instead Of Play (Tales of Vesperia)
1. Snooki Hair (Avatar Item)

I gotta admit, I am guilty of getting some shotgun weapon skins on Gears 3 because...well...I wanted a pink shotgun and a shotgun with rainbows.

Anyhow Escapists, are you guilty of purchasing frivolous DLC? Are there any cases of DLC out there actually worse then the ones mentioned. Does anyone actually play Train Simulator??
Just Cause 2 also features exquisitely bullshitty DLC:
You can buy guns. Better guns, significantly better guns than in the actual game - the Marksman's Rifle and Rico's Signature Gun.
Both are semi-auto, stupid powerful, hyper accurate, cost roughly $2 each....

And use their own unique ammunition.

If you don't have/don't play JC2, ammo pickups happen either from boxes containing specific ammo OR (much much more prevalent) only happen from touching the corpses of dudes who were holding a specific gun.

In essence, dudes carrying AKs will have AK reloads, dudes carrying revolvers will have revolver reloads, pretty standard.

Now, the DLC weapons, the DLC weapons are wholly unique. No dude in the game carries them.
Which means, by extension, there is no way to get ammunition for his weapon as part of normal gameplay.

Sure, you can just buy it again (from the in-game shop, naturally, because just because you paid real money for these guns doesn't mean you get them automatically in the game, you still need to buy them from the Chopper Shopper) at a hilariously outlandish price. And every time you run out of ammo? YOU CAN JUST BUY IT AGAIN FROM THE CHOPPER SHOPPER. AT A HILARIOUSLY OUTLANDISH PRICE.

And seeing as how you can only in-game shop when out-of-combat, if you dare run out of ammo mid-mission WELL THEN, SONNY MY JIM, LOOKS LIKE THAT REALWORLD/GAMEWORLD CASH INVESTMENT TURNED OUT TO BE A PRETTY FUCKING POOR CHOICE.

Gratz! You've just paid real money for something that will immediately turn out to be too much of an expensive hassle to actually use in-game!

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I might have bought the horse armor, but I can't remember. I was pretty enamored with Oblivion when it came out, so it's possible.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
The only time I've bought DLC was Killing Floor last year with its sale on the complete pack, which is the same game but it allows you to play as different characters (which has no changes on the gameplay in any way, even the voice actors are the same). It was stupid and cost more money, but it was on sale and only costed marginally more.

I have yet to buy the new skins since then, as the priest in London's Finest set is all I'll ever need.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I am a DLC whore only for NIS and ATLUS games...

...still waiting patiently for more Disgaea 4 DLC...

I got Warden's Keep/Shale bundled with the game so that doesn't count.

Mar 28, 2011
Definitely a DLC whore but only at those once-in-a-blue-moon times when i can put *a lot* of money on the PSN in one go. My Rock Band track listing is abominably big thanks to about ten different times of spending between £50-£100 on the store in one day. (Usually also buying games, but Rock Band is always my "what else can i buy?" fall-back.)

crazyfoxdemon

Oct 2, 2009
I'm guilty of both 10 and 7... Although, to be fair, that was a LONG time ago and I've gotten smarter since then...

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
The only DLC I've ever bought was Magicka: Vietnam in a 50% off Steam Sale. And it kicked ass.

I just went to Steam, searched train simulator 2012, went to DLC and clicked "see all". Add all to cart now = $1617.52 USD. My god. But the scariest part?
1,030 players recommend this game to their friends.
I just hope they weren't recommending the DLC to their friends. Most of them are $20 per train.