Poll: The Use of "Pixel Art" in Modern Games

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I'll always support pixel art in games, because I know from experience that it's not always a stylistic choice. It's so much easier to mess with a tiny person sprite than actually hand draw a large image, and it's something you can eventually get right even if you aren't great at art.

A lot of developers work solo, and it's their only real option if they want something that doesn't look like complete trash.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
Pixel art can be good or it can be bad.

There are some styles of pixel art that I dislike, such as when the 'pixel' size is so big that most details end up being lost (if a character's legs are 1 'pixel' wide even up close, you've gone too far in my eyes), or if the size of the 'pixels' is inconsistent such as in The Binding of Isaac Rebirth, where sprites can be scaled up significantly and lose a lot of detail relative to the backgrounds or rocks.

Most other stuff I'm happy with as long as the style is consistent.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Digi7 said:
It's great. I love pixel art, I use it myself, but I'm a little torn. It's beautiful as an aesthetic when you take it and do more with it, like cel-shading or watercolour.

It's simple, pure and expressive, but I personally dislike artists who just directly emulate the graphical style of the past complete with shitty colours and awkward 3-frame animation. It feels lazy, extremely overdone and gives the style in general a bad image.

Here's an example of GOOD pixel art:

I am so fucking excited for this game. Hyper Light Drifter, if you're interested.
See, that's funny. You just used the same sort of example I'd consider to be bad pixel art.

It's entirely up to taste so neither you nor I are wrong. But pixelated games like superbrothers sword and sworcery actually make the game difficult to play and enjoy for me. There are other sorts of games that use pixel art that I enjoy. Towerfall was great, DLC quest was fun, and I can think of several other titles that I enjoyed.

But whenever the graphics are so poorly defined that I'm not sure what I'm looking at then I don't like it. It's possible that if I played Hyper Light Drifter that the gameplay would be compelling enough to override that feeling. But Superbrothers sure didn't. I guess I grew up through the age where this was done from necessity and experienced the frustration of games that failed to adequately portray images that they wanted to. These are largely games lost to time or buried in landfills because no one wanted them.

If you can enjoy those games, then more power to you. But I hate the use of those graphics and that they prevent me from enjoying something I might otherwise love. It's the same reason I can't go back and play certain titles I used to enjoy when I was a kid because the graphics are so very outdated now.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Guilion said:
hermes200 said:
Guilion said:
You do realize that the simple geometric figures is THE POINT of that game? If the game had something more detailed than shapes, it would have lost half its impact and universality and most of the mechanics would fall apart.

Many games like Shovel Knight, Thomas was Alone or Minecraft are built around the aesthetic choices. If they went for realism instead, the result would have to be an entirely different game.
Honestly from what I played I believe Thomas was Alone was originally meant to be a simple puzzle game and THEN they added the story and claimed the simplistic design was to make the characters more relatable. I liked the game but I still found that it could be pretty damn pretentious at times.

Also I don't believe Shovel Knight or Minecraft were built around the aesthetics, instead I think they were built around the mechanics, originally Minecraft had no monsters and it was straight-up lego building with cubes and as such everything ended up looking like a cube. The same thing goes for Shovel Knight, the devs pretty much made a straight up 8-bit plateformer, the aesthetics are just part of the whole 8-bit package along with the level design and the limited color palette.
I can't speak for Thomas was Alone(though I do completely agree with Hermes) or Mincecraft but Shovel Knight was certainly built with esthetics in mind. The whole point was to invoke the graphics of the NES area, to the point where they used as close to the same color palate as they could. In addition the music, menus and gameplay are also very remencent of the NES platformers of the early 90s but with a modern spin.
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/03/every-day-im-shoveling-8-bit-nostalgia-done-right-in-shovel-knight/

Moreover, I'd argue Thomas was Alone, Shovel Knight, and Hotline Miami are all examples of pixel art done extremely right for enhancing the gameplay and story despite the style not being very detailed. I see your point though I feel that some games do only use pixel art becuase it is cheap.
What bothers me is when the artwork isn't consisant. Like it will be 8-bit in one area but 16-bit in another.

Apr 25, 2009
Lightknight said:
Digi7 said:
It's great. I love pixel art, I use it myself, but I'm a little torn. It's beautiful as an aesthetic when you take it and do more with it, like cel-shading or watercolour.

It's simple, pure and expressive, but I personally dislike artists who just directly emulate the graphical style of the past complete with shitty colours and awkward 3-frame animation. It feels lazy, extremely overdone and gives the style in general a bad image.

I am so fucking excited for this game. Hyper Light Drifter, if you're interested.
See, that's funny. You just used the same sort of example I'd consider to be bad pixel art.

It's entirely up to taste so neither you nor I are wrong. But pixelated games like superbrothers sword and sworcery actually make the game difficult to play and enjoy for me. There are other sorts of games that use pixel art that I enjoy. Towerfall was great, DLC quest was fun, and I can think of several other titles that I enjoyed.

But whenever the graphics are so poorly defined that I'm not sure what I'm looking at then I don't like it. It's possible that if I played Hyper Light Drifter that the gameplay would be compelling enough to override that feeling. But Superbrothers sure didn't. I guess I grew up through the age where this was done from necessity and experienced the frustration of games that failed to adequately portray images that they wanted to. These are largely games lost to time or buried in landfills because no one wanted them.

If you can enjoy those games, then more power to you. But I hate the use of those graphics and that they prevent me from enjoying something I might otherwise love. It's the same reason I can't go back and play certain titles I used to enjoy when I was a kid because the graphics are so very outdated now.
What? It's perfectly obvious what things are. Good pixel art is about abstraction, cutting out needless detail, large recognisable shapes and colours and tones. The purity and simplicity of good pixel art can make design and imagery far more lasting, powerful and alive than any hyper-realistic easily outdated 3D art can. I'm a strong believer in limitation lending to creativity. A good majority of the well-designed recognisable characters we see in video games these days have their roots in pixel art.

Either you get it or you don't. HLD and S&S do this stuff well.

And yes, I'm saying your sense of aesthetics is wrong.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
I don't mind it as long as it's not barely redrawn RPG maker sprites.

If you can't even put effort into making your own graphics then I'm sorry, I don't want to play your game, hypothetical developer.

Well done pixel art that's more than 16x16 pixels is fantastic.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Sometimes pixel art works really well, like in the Scott Pilgrim game or in FTL, and Minecraft has moments of looking absolutely fantastic with a very 8-bit inspired theme.

Sometimes though it looks like the developers were trying just way too hard to be "Indie retro".

Rayce Archer

Jun 26, 2014
I picked up Clickteam Fusion in the last big Steam sale and have been dinking around with it. I know crap-all about programming but with Fusion or similar suites it's pretty easy to turn out platformers and scrolling shooters and the like.

Most of these tools are designed with spritework in mind, so for a wannabe developer with a limited budget and no head for code, pixel art is kind of forced by the tools. That doesn't make it a scrub's IDE by any means; Heart Forth, Alicia up there is being made in Fusion, as was the exemplary Freedom Planet.

On the other hand, it would be foolish to deny that some games use low-def pixel art as a crutch to cover the designer's lack of artistic ability. A good rule of thumb is to hit Steam greenlight, any game pitch that mentions "retro graphics" before it says what genre it is PROBABLY sucks.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
Zhukov said:
I like pixel art that isn't trying to look like 8-bit pixel art.

8-bit games looked uniformly hideous, as does anything trying to imitate them.
I want to disagree as I feel that a limited colour palette can look good if used smartly, but sadly there aren't many, if any, examples where this has been done.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Digi7 said:
Lightknight said:
Digi7 said:

What? It's perfectly obvious what things are. Good pixel art is about abstraction, cutting out needless detail, large recognisable shapes and colours and tones. The purity and simplicity of good pixel art can make design and imagery far more lasting, powerful and alive than any hyper-realistic easily outdated 3D art can. I'm a strong believer in limitation lending to creativity. A good majority of the well-designed recognisable characters we see in video games these days have their roots in pixel art.

Eh, I get what they're trying to do. I just think it's poorly done and sometimes even lazy. The thing about the Superbrothers game is that I certainly wouldn't call it lazy and I'm sure they specifically designed it that way. But it did frequently poorly portray images they were trying to depict.

So I'm sorry if you dislike my opinion on this art form but you are by no means any sort of authority with any gravitas to try and claim whether someone likes or dislikes something for valid reasons. I'd recommend you tend to your own opinions and I'll tend to mine. You are basically being the guy complaining that someone doesn't like certain forms of abstract art. But guess what? I didn't like a lot of Picasso's paintings and certainly wouldn't hang them up in my home. Someone disliking what you like shouldn't automatically demand your defending of a genre. You've got to get to a point where my opinion doesn't mean shit to you and where you fully accept that my or anyone else's not liking something can't do squat regarding your ability to enjoy it yourself.

Ur mom iz wrong. [/joke, I'm sure she is or was a lovely lady]

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
SnakeTrousers said:
Zhukov said:
I like pixel art that isn't trying to look like 8-bit pixel art.

8-bit games looked uniformly hideous, as does anything trying to imitate them.
I want to disagree as I feel that a limited colour palette can look good if used smartly, but sadly there aren't many, if any, examples where this has been done.
Master System games don't look too bad. 8 bit Sonic, for instance, looks nice. The Master System was fairly advanced for an 8 bit machine though. Compared to the 16 bit consoles, it is the lack of sprites and parallax scrolling that are more noticeable, not the lack of colour.

Looking at NES games though, the colour limitations tend to show in a bad way. There are NES games that don't offend your eyes, but no NES games that actually look nice.

May 14, 2013
"Pixel Art" is just another type of artstyle. Some of it looks amazing, and can look even better than the most meticulously crafted 3D model. Or it can look like minimalist garbage.

This is like asking if watercolor is an acceptable form of painting in 2015.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
i think its acceptable, its a good way to make your game looks decent, without burning your limited budget on graphics

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I have nothing against Pixel art, although most of it seems to be an attempt to evoke SNES era consoles, so I have no particular attraction to it either. I'd certainly like to see less of it. I think a lot of them get over-praised for how 'gorgeous' the art direction is, when in all honesty it looks relatively mundane, and from a technical perspective it is demonstrably hideous and impossibly dated.

I mean, I can play a game like Neo Scavenger or To The Moon in spite of the graphics, but I'm certainly not going to heap praise on them. I thought Shovel Knight looked like shit. I thought Spelunky looked 20 years old. You can pack a lot of vibrancy and character into pixel graphics, but that doesn't make them good graphics. You can pack a lot of vibrancy and character into excellent graphics, too. Moreso, even.

Eh. I dunno. I'm a big advocate of art direction over technical fidelity, so I understand the argument for dated looking games still being beautiful, but I think there is a propensity in the gaming community and particularly in the gaming media to lavish unwarranted acclaim on retro or shoe-string budget indie titles. We crap on a game like Skyrim for dodgy textures, but we give a straight pass to a game like Shovel Knight? Call it "gorgeous" even? ************, please. It might play like nostalgic arcade aficionado's wet dream, but it looks like a Hobo's taint.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
So few people who have attempted to use it of late have done so well. It looks absolutely fantastic in Superbrothers when combined with modern lighting effects, so basically Mingi Taw and the moon grotto. It's dull and bland in the rest of the game. People seem to think that using it confers the art part of the phrase upon what they're doing. It doesn't. There's a reason graphics have raced forwards. However far you go on that path, make it past pixel graphics. They mostly wind up looking shit.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
It depends entirely on what you want your game to be. If you want to have a platformer that hearkens back to the older platform sidescrollers like Volgarr the Viking, then it should absolutely be allowed to use pixel art, and possibly encouraged. Pixel art on a game like Dota 2 or Assassin's Creed would probably be a major hindrance to the mechanics and should probably be avoided.

Brennan

Mar 21, 2014
It doesn't really do anything for me as a style in it's own right. To be honest, lazy hipster nostalgia bait is exactly what it looks like and little more.

I totally get where you're getting at with the comparison to things like impressionism. I feel similarly about older 3D stuff like the original System Shock or PS1 era low-poly 3D. There's a certain kind of openness, and, paradoxically, realism that I find in these old 3D games that I don't get in modern 3D stuff.

However I don't attribute that to the low res construction in itself. I think it's more a case of low res forcing a certain approach to environmental design, combined with unintentional visual side effects of the low poly/low res stuff to create a certain general impression or atmosphere.

I think modern games tend towards the visually over-designed: they try to maintain a certain high minimum level of detail density everywhere, and as a result there's types of interesting/cool composition you just never see. Everything has to be crowded and structured. Every surface and volume has to work hard to justify it's existence, or else be culled to make overhead room for more detail elsewhere. No space can be spared for visual pacing, as were. A long blank wall can't be plain, even if that would suit the composition best, because that much plain area is "wasted real estate" in the developers mind, and has to be broken or gunked up, and if it can't be broken or gunked up, that part of the map gets shrunk or cut to eliminate that real estate. I feel like this aggressive minmaxing for uniform detail density is actually part of why some franchises become more linear and boxed-in with each sequel. The devs think they're improving the level design by trimming fat here to add detail there, but they're actually making things increasingly compact and homogeneous 'till everything starts to feel fake and claustrophobic.

I think that same vibes I get from older 3D titles can be achieved with modern technology at modern resolutions, and I think the same is true of the impressionistic quality you attribute to pixel art. The art is in the feel of it, the way it communicates. The technical method is just carrier media for those things, not the art itself, whether it's brush strokes or pinch-blobs of clay or pixels or polygons or whatever. This is true of all art styles IMO (well, except for some weird stuff like mathcore music, but even there the notes are more the point than the instrument), but especially of impressionism in particular. The whole point of impressionism was to make images dithered out of abstractions, the way you see things in a dream or a memory. If you're focusing on the technical paintstokes, you're putting the cart before the horse at best.

IMO the better comparison would be pointillism. Pointillism is strongly associated with impressionism, but it's not the purpose of impressionism, nor is it essential to the function of impressionism. It's just the brush technique pioneered by impressionism. Pixel art is a kind of ultra-restrictive digital pointillism.

I'm also not really a believer in art shaped by limitations as an ideal. While great works have been shaped by limitations, I feel that seeking out limitations would say more about the artist than the value of said limitations. Relying on limitations to improve one's art seems a crutch at worst, a training exercise at best. A really good artist would be able to create the same feelings with the same impressionistic aspect as pixel art using unlimited/freeform tools, and to me that's what makes pixels just look like redundant outdated tech instead of a style. I feel like the only non-redundant thing it brings to the table is the purely technical aspect of being little squares. There's nothing it can do that can't be done with a regular paint program.

Now, use pixel art as pop art instead of impressionism, and you might be onto something. But then pop art is basically a hipster irony Inception loop of the high-art world smirking at itself in the mirror, so while it might make more sense, it might not make it better.

Mind you I'm specifically talking pixel art here, not sprite-based gameplay, or low-tech indie games. I can totally understand some indie games needing to go low-tech, but no one needs to go as far as pixel art anymore. Modern systems have zero trouble with high res sprites, and low poly 3D animations are if anything just as easy or easier to make these days (one of my favorite indie games of the past couple years is Shadowrun Returns, which is tiny low-poly 3D toons on painted isometric backgrounds) so pixel art is obviously being done for it's own sake, not for technical reasons.

In extreme cases it works. I love FTL, and I think the pixel art works fine there because it's SO simplified that it's almost a total abstraction, like a chess board. At higher resolutions is still looks more fake-retro than arty though, so I wouldn't mind having higher res assets for larger monitors, and the bigger you go, the less justified the pixel art feels even for an abstract style. As is it's the world's most perfect mobile game, though.

Apr 25, 2009
Lightknight said:
Digi7 said:
Lightknight said:
Digi7 said:

Eh, I get what they're trying to do. I just think it's poorly done and sometimes even lazy. The thing about the Superbrothers game is that I certainly wouldn't call it lazy and I'm sure they specifically designed it that way. But it did frequently poorly portray images they were trying to depict.

So I'm sorry if you dislike my opinion on this art form but you are by no means any sort of authority with any gravitas to try and claim whether someone likes or dislikes something for valid reasons. I'd recommend you tend to your own opinions and I'll tend to mine. You are basically being the guy complaining that someone doesn't like certain forms of abstract art. But guess what? I didn't like a lot of Picasso's paintings and certainly wouldn't hang them up in my home. Someone disliking what you like shouldn't automatically demand your defending of a genre. You've got to get to a point where my opinion doesn't mean shit to you and where you fully accept that my or anyone else's not liking something can't do squat regarding your ability to enjoy it yourself.

Ur mom iz wrong. [/joke, I'm sure she is or was a lovely lady]
I'm just being facetious and deliberately abrasive buddy, no harm done.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I'm not a fan. I think simple vector art is both easier to do and looks better. But "acceptable" is kind of an extreme word. It's certainly acceptable. Just not ideal, even IMO at the low end of indie.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I love 2D art in general, Pixel art I usually consider to be more of the crunchy 8-Bit or 16-Bit style, but 2D art isn't limited to this, I've enjoyed games with gorgeous graphics that are limited to a 2D perspective (Dragon's Crown is a good example)

My top 2 favorite RPGs from the PS1 era still look GREAT today thanks to their choice of going with 2D art over 3D: Suikoden II and Legend of Mana. Not sure if either qualify as Pixel Art.

As for it's retro appeal, I think if applied as a STYLE then it works well. I absolutely love the look of games like Terraria or Freedom Planet. There are however cases where the choice seems more out of lack or artistic talent than deliberate intent. Regardless of whether you're going 2D or 3D I think it's important a game has actual artistic talent behind it. I mean for every ugly poorly drawn 2D game you show me, I could dig up an equally hideous 3D one.