Poll: The Value of a Human Life

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I would save the dog. Why? Because a life is a life, no matter what it is. The only bias for me is how well I know them. I don't know a stranger, so I'll save my dog.

I'm not delusional to the point where I actually believe a human life is more important than any other life. All life is equal in value.

Dr Hammer

Aug 26, 2011
Crippled by this 'moral maze' induced paralysis I would probably just sit there and enjoy the view (this is still happening up a mountain, right?).

If the person had seen me and starts crying for my help I'd feel forced to take action and put in my headphones. In the unlikely event of not having my headphones with me I'd have to take more extreme action and gaffa tape the persons mouth before resuming my contemplation of the view.

Mobynick

Nov 6, 2009
This is my Randian response: why would I save a complete stranger who means absolutely nothing to me when Cpt.Awesome, my dog, has given me a life time of happiness and deserve better than to be callously "let go of"?(racism? o_0)

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
It's a question that's much more complex than syntax or subject alone can show. It might be easy for me to save a complete stranger if I'm not attached to the dog - even if that dog is "mine" on a legal or social standpoint - but any serious emotional connection to either of them would make things very difficult.

We tend to give our pets anthropomorph qualities without even being conscious of it. Spend a few years tending to even a rabbit or a hamster, and you'll start to gauge its moods, wants and needs in the same way you would a human being you've known for a long while. The dog will never speak, he'll never write poetry, solve math problems or get a job, but he can very much come to mean more to you than any human life you might be familiar with. In that case, I'd save the dog.

The same thing really applies to people. There's always a tipping point where you realize that this or that person isn't just a tool you use or an acquaintance. If they were, they're not anymore. They've gained a tremendous amount of value, to the point of imagining your life without them being a little difficult. In that case, I'd save the human.

Unfortunately, most of us are geared to have empathy towards people who suffer or who are fearful of something. In a knee-jerk situation where I'd see *both* a human and a dog holding on for dear life?

I honestly don't know which one I'd save. It's not something I can pick apart rationally. I think my higher thought processes would just go bye-bye and I'd pick the coward's way out as a sudden means to ensure my continued existence. If there's two people about to die by falling off a cliff, who's to say it won't happen to me if I try to help them?

I don't know. As sensitive as I am (and I really am a big softie), I think I'd be unable to do anything. Not because of callousness or evil or selfishness - just because I'd be afraid, and because that underlying complexity would be too much for me to handle in a split-second.

Crazycat690

Aug 31, 2009
There aren't many people who would make it if I'd get to choose between saving them or my cats. I've never been a big "people supporter", I mean, I wouldn't and don't want to kill people, but if I had to choose between animal x and human y the human is pretty fucked unless it's a family member or close friend :p

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
To be honest it depends, if it was a person i didnt know and my animal that i love id save my animal, if it was an animal i didnt know and a person i didnt know id save the person, if i didnt know either id save the person and if i knew and loved both of them....i dunno....im gonna go cry and drink whiskey in the corner now.

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
My dog would trust me with his/her life and do so much for me. I don't think it's right to save a person just because it's the same species as I am. I'd save my dog first, but I'd also try to save the person if I could.

doggie015 said:
Aris Khandr said:
doggie015 said:
Animals can be replaced. People cannot!
People and animals are replaced in the exact same way.
Not true. You can't easily find another person that looks, acts and sounds just like the person that died (I'd even go so far as to say that it's impossible!), however you can easily get another animal that looks, acts and sounds just like the animal that died!
Of course this is just my opinion, but I don't think you know your pet that well if you really think that. I have good memories of each of the dogs I knew when growing up and there isn't any other dog like them, just like humans. That also applies to the cats and hamsters my girlfriend has.

Amaury_games

Oct 13, 2010
Old Father Eternity said:
All life is valuable, therefore the correct question should be *Whose survival in any given situation benefits the greater good more?*
Same thing can be extended to inanimate objects as well e.g a data carrier containing the only existing cure for a fatal disease vs a innocent bystander.

Sure it would be nice if you could get both but one must look at the big picture.
I like your way of thinking, although I've already chosen my answer. Seems very objective (I know I may have chosen the wrong word here but that's the one that comes to my mind when I see your answer).

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
I'd let the murderer/paedophile die, if the case was they were proven to have committed those crimes. I feel that the world would be better off without them.

Then again, it depends on why the murderer killed the person/people he killed.

Then again, I do love my dog.

Paedophile can fall and live another 30 minutes in pain and suffering with his guts and rib cage in plain view of his own eyes for all I care.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Depends on both parties involved. There are a myriad of little points that could be brought into this scenario to change what my answer might be.

But just as a broad kind of thing:
If it's between a strange person and a strange dog, I'll probably save the person. OP said it was their dog, so in that case, assuming I didn't know the person, it would be the dog I'd save. Probably. Again, there are too many different factors involved for me to be able to say for sure.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
doggie015 said:
Aris Khandr said:
doggie015 said:
Not true. You can't easily find another person that looks, acts and sounds just like the person that died (I'd even go so far as to say that it's impossible!), however you can easily get another animal that looks, acts and sounds just like the animal that died!
People are animals. Sillyheads.

Personally I'll always save the more intelligent lifeform.

Man vs dog? Man

Dog vs hamster? Dog

Hamster vs Beetle? Hamster

Beetle vs yeast? Beetle

Man vs super intelligent alien? Alien

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
The person.

The amount of grief caused to friends and family over a person's death, even a bad person, is generally many times worse than the grief caused to the owners of a pet at its death. As such I'd save the person at the cost of hurt to myself in order to prevent others from suffering an even greater pain.

Although I must admit the situation is made substantially easier by it being a dog. I feel no emotional connection to dogs, simply don't like em much (would still save em if there wasn't a person though). If it was my cat though it'd be a serious dilemma, I'd still save the person but would seriously hurt from my cat biting the dust.

Feb 22, 2009
Save the person. Because the person's death would almost certainly cause more suffering for others, and because like you said, no-one has the right to kill anyone. Also your teacher's argument about 'maybe he's a pedophile' is just nonsense. If you think that way we might as well all just kill ourselves because we have the potential to do bad things.

Of course ideally I'd save both, but that's outside the bounds of the hypothetical situation, I guess. :p

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
I could look an animal in the eye as it died. I wouldn't enjoy it, but I think I could take the emotional guilt. I could not, however, look a person in the eye, someone who would fully understand the situation, (unlike the animal) and let them die. I couldn't live with myself. Unless this person had done something horrific, terrible. And by "horrific, terrible", i mean something so evil I can't even put it into words.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Didn't we have a topic just like this a few weeks ago? I remember it giving birth to many parody topics too...

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
kortin said:
I would save the dog. Why? Because a life is a life, no matter what it is. The only bias for me is how well I know them. I don't know a stranger, so I'll save my dog.

I'm not delusional to the point where I actually believe a human life is more important than any other life. All life is equal in value.
I don't want to go to extremes here... but I vehemently disagree. Would a worm's life have as much value as a dog's? I'd say not. Same with a fish, lizard, or plant. Their lives are practically worthless compared to a human's or a dog's.

Now you could argue that your dog's life is worth more than a human's. I personally disagree, but hey, that's just me.

OT: I'd save the human, I'd always save the human.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Beings are defined first and foremost by their actions and potential, what they are is to be frank rather secondary. This remains true of all species, although some are less capable of changing such defining characteristics than others. As a result, being a rather jaded bastard, I would actually value a loyal and well trained dog (whether or not it was mine) more than a large segment of human individuals.

However, faced with such a dilemma, I would still save the human in nearly all cases, the tiny handful of exceptions being those where I knew beyond any reasonable doubt that they weren't worth the effort. This is due to the simple fact that we are social creatures. An individual's status is not determined solely by themselves.
doggie015 said:
Aris Khandr said:
doggie015 said:
I tend to disagree, humans do have more variety to them, but most still fall into one of a fairly well defined set of categories.

To put it another way, if it takes ten descriptive terms to fully define a dog's personality away from the basic "generic dog" template, it might take 50 to fully define a human. (the numbers in both cases are far too low, just there to illustrate a point) Significantly more complex, but still a numerical limit.

Ironically enough, the individuals that most worry about "breaking the mold" tend to be the least successful at it.