Poll: The Vault Question

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Hey there Escapists.

So the large majority of you likely have played or at least heard of the Fallout games. For those who haven't, in the world of the games a private corporation and the government collaborate to build a number of blast and radiation proof shelters in which people can survive a nuclear war in. If sealed into these shelters, you will most likely live the rest of your life in it as the aftermath of the war above you would make leaving a fatal prospect for decades (possibly centuries) depending on the amount of radiation that settles outside.

What got me thinking was what if our real world governments built vaults in co-operation with a private corporation as in Fallout?

Could you trust them after playing the games? Even if everything was perfect with them, would you be okay living the rest of your days in one? That's a long time to be in close proximity to other people and (presumably) with great restrictions on your freedoms for the good of the collective.

The other option in this scenario is trying to escape nuclear war on the surface which is, in all likelihood, a very short life indeed.

The sirens are blaring, the attack is imminent. What do?

The romantic, poetic and idiot side of me says to make way as far north as possible. To write a whole bunch detailing my journey, who I am and my thoughts on everything. Maybe try to make it to Yellowknife or beyond. The practical side of me knows I'd probably not even make it to Prince George and that the vault would be my only option for survival even if it means giving up seeing the sun. I'm torn, it would really depend who else was with me...

If my family was with me, I'd likely go into a vault with them but if I'm just a student alone here, I'd make the long run North, writing and recording myself the whole way.

Do you trust your overseer?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I'd make for Canada, because nobody's going to want to have to answer for being the five-star gold-plated dickbag who bombed Canada. I would not trust my overseer, but I can tell you one thing: somebody's got to stand up to another bloody American invasion!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
oh.....

[sub/]so this isn't about me[/sub]

weeeeelll

we live in an entirely different world to the one where Fallout takes place, a world where that bizare kind of disregard for human life in the face of SCIENCE! is commonplace....oh I know it happens in our world too, but in Fallout its...more "the jetsons" than elysium

I don't know what Australia would do (or did) at a time like that...I don't think it would be a stretch to think we had our own Vault program (with green jumpsuits and a cartoon kangaroo instead of Vault boy..for some reason)

at the actual time of impact...yeah I would like to be in a vault, I mean...what else are you going to do?

however if were talking about a life on the outside compared to live in the wasteland at any of the various times/places we see in the Fallout series...thats a different question altogether, while being in a Vault might seem safe you could argue the Vault will inevitably eather kill you or you'll have to leave eventually, growing up in a Vault would sureley leave you ill prepared to survive in the wasteland....

Aug 31, 2012
Simple, go to the vault, quietly murder the overseer and then wear their face as a mask so that everyone else thinks I'm the overseer and then begin my own tyrannical regime. Also steal all the morphine Med-X.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
Redlin5 said:
The sirens are blaring, the attack is imminent. What do?
Soil myself. Okay not an option then I wouldn't like to live through the nuclear apocalypse so that would mean getting into a vault, as long as it isn't designed to drive me crazy.

And while yes you are restricted in your movement at least you will live in some comfort without having to fear the local warlords. And while it would leave me unprepared for the wasteland Its not me who will have to leave the vault one day but my descendants. So that is not my problem.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
This is a tough one. I was about to say a Vault, then I remembered that most acted as experiment chambers. I don't want to die a slow radiation death or something. I think I'd take my chances outside. Drive as far North into Canada as I could. Sure, it is technically part of the U.S. in Fallout lore, but hopefully it won't be much of a target. Hopefully, if I survive the initial blast and following fallout, I can find a safe place to live.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'd queue up for my vault thanks.

Surviving on one's own in the wilderness is actually really fucking difficult. Not many folks are qualified to do it.

Although, locked in an underground bunker with a bunch of other people? Yeah, I'd go fucking nuts in there.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I live in New Zealand.

If global thermonuclear war were to start I doubt anyone with weapons long ranged enough to reach here would bother throwing a few ICBM's down into the middle of nowhere and even if they did they'll most likely target Auckland (biggest city) or Wellington (capital) which I would consider a win/win situation.

That said, I would either head to the local Vault or to the Uni I work for. I have access to some of the underground tunnels there and ride out the ensuring shitstorm.

False Messiah

Afflicted with DDDS
Jan 29, 2009
I think that if we where to make bunkers they would be a lot larger, with a lot more people then fallout shows. The vault's always been a way to kickstart the story (get the water chip or all of the peoples die) but the social experiment side isn't as worked out as it could've been.

If our govs build bunkers so they can experiment on people I think it would be more along the lines of the silos from the Wool Trilogy written by Hugh Howey (good read btw, would recommend it to anyone who likes post appocalyptic stories that focus on the social/community side)

Personally I think I would sign up for the vaults because
Zhukov said:
Surviving on one's own in the wilderness is actually really fucking difficult. Not many folks are qualified to do it.

VileTerror

Dec 22, 2010
Other than the lack of clean water and suitable sewage treatment (oh, and the likely fatal levels of radiation), if I survived the initial missile impact/barrage, I would totally prefer to live on the surface! Yes, it would be hard, and yes I would likely die shortly thereafter . . . but the potential do some good for the entire human race would be much higher. My efforts would be focused on rebuilding the good parts of what had been lost, while finally being able to discard some of the worst aspects. Yes, I realize that trying to convince everyone to cooperate in the desperation of survival may be difficult, but as a species we've demonstrated a significant penchant for working together to overcome adversity. . . . even if sometimes that cooperation is at knifepoint.
And; hey! This way I will be on the outside and able to lay booby traps at the doors of the Vaults for when they finally open. That'll teach you cowards for running away from your responsibility to humanity! *shakes a fist*

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Barbas said:
I'd make for Canada, because nobody's going to want to have to answer for being the five-star gold-plated dickbag who bombed Canada. I would not trust my overseer, but I can tell you one thing: somebody's got to stand up to another bloody American invasion!
Hate to break it to you, but Canada was annexed in the world of Fallout to get to Anchorage, and to my knowledge the US never let it go. :p

OT: I live in Southern California, namely San Diego. I'm the first one to get bombed god dammit! Well on the bright side, I could try to get into Vault 13, since that one wasn't evil, and survived for quite a while. :D

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Neronium said:
Barbas said:
Hate to break it to you, but Canada was annexed in the world of Fallout to get to Anchorage, and to my knowledge the US never let it go. :p

OT: I live in Southern California, namely San Diego. I'm the first one to get bombed god dammit! Well on the bright side, I could try to get into Vault 13, since that one wasn't evil, and survived for quite a while. :D
Yes, I know, but the games have prepared us for that eventuality! Let them come...

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
Of course I'd let myself live in a vault for the rest of my life! It is the only way to ensure the survival and continuation of the human race! And if done right, we could bring the best result for mankind turning out the strongest and brightest out into this new world! I believe that the dwelling space of several thousand of our people can be easily provided. It would not be necessary to choose who stays up or who goes down, Mr President, I mean, uh... Mr Redlin. It could easily be accomplished with a computer! And the computer can be set and accept people on youth, health, sexual fertility, intelligence, and a cross section of necessary skills! Of course it would be absolutely vital that our top government and military men be included, to foster and impart the required principles of leadership and tradition -

Sig Heil! -

URK - *ahem* Naturally, they would be prodigious, eh? There would be much time and little to do, heheh. But with the proper breeding techniques and a ratio of ten females to each male, we can go back to the present gross national product within, say, twenty years. Now I know what you're thinking: wouldn't those who survived be so grief stricken that they would envy the dead and not go on living? Well, I say no sir. Uh, excuse me...

*grunting noises*

*Ahem* You see, when everyone goes into the vault, everyone will still be alive! There will be no shocking memories, and prevailing emotion will be those of nostalgia for those left behind. Combined with the spirit of bold curiosity of the adventure ahead!

HEIL!!! *More grunting noises with struggling*

*Pant, pant* Eh, regrettably, we would have to abandon the so called monogamous sexual relationship, as far as men were concerned. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hastened add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... *urk!* ... service along these lines, the women will be have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature. And... furthermore... *gack!* I... - AUGH!

MEIN FUHRER...! I can WALK!!!

For those who don't get it, this is a joke. I don't actually believe this and I'm not a Nazi. Jesus...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Seeing how I lack any real survival skill (I don't camp out or venture into the wilderness as an hobby/ activity) I will take the vault eventhought I will probably become mad from my time living in there long enough.

Ok I haven't played the game so would someone enlighten me about the dark thing about the vault?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I live on a small densely populated island with nowhere to run to, so sign me up for a vault please. However shit life may be in one, it'll beat being dead. Anything outside of continous torture is better than death in my eyes.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
JoJo said:
I live on a small densely populated island with nowhere to run to, so sign me up for a vault please. However shit life may be in one, it'll beat being dead. Anything outside of continous torture is better than death in my eyes.
Britain's not all that densely populated, is it? :/

Well, at least it's not up here, where we should be relatively safe. Nobody's gonna bomb Scotland! Inb4 someone says "what would be the difference". :D

[small][sub]Oh. Unless they hit the nuclear submarine bases...crap.[/sub][/small]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Barbas said:
JoJo said:
Britain's not all that densely populated, is it? :/

Well, at least it's not up here, where we should be relatively safe. Nobody's gonna bomb Scotland!Inb4someone says "what would be the ldifference". :D
[small][sub]Oh. Unless they hit the nuclear. submarinebases...crap.[/sub][/small]
Easily within the top quarter of the world for population density,
not so much in Scotland but it's pretty packed here down south. Nuclear war isn't quite as destructive as many imagine but I wouldn't fancy my chances when I live a couple of hours drive away from UK target number 1: London. If they/we survive the Londoners will probably end up raiding our farms!

Supdupadog

Feb 23, 2010
Well clearly if I didn't know anything, I'd go for a vault. That they where insane human experiments wasn't revealed until you got in. Real crap shoot if you'd get a Vault 21 or a Vault 11.... ick.

If I did know any better, the best possible option is to get into the Las Vegas area. Majority of nuclear warheads will be terminated, and all I'd have to survive is the bandits and the fallout.

Not that it matters, only ghouls remain alive since the initial attack. My generation will be dead barring any flash ghoulification on myself.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
If I were by myself I would just deal with the wasteland. Learn to deal with the elements and whatever the new world would give to me because I would rather not give up my own independence and individuality for a group of people I'm locked in with. I would probably go somewhere far away from the potential disaster when I hear the siren go off, and probably not make it far because I live near a major city. So I would be fucked before I could even say I was.

However, if I was with my family or someone really close to me then I might reconsider since at that point it's just not about me. I would be willing to give up a few things if it meant for them to be safe. That and the whole living near a major city and going in a vault would be the most sensible thing to do.