Poll: There may be a light for anime (Under the Dog)

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
I may have missed the bandwagon but now that Hideo Kojima has given his backing(see here [https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-02/metal-gear-solid-hideo-kojima-endorses-under-the-dog/.78313]) I suppose that I should comment

Under the Dog is a kickstarted project that will attempt to bypass the standard model of production committees and create an anime with more creative control. It's based on older sci-fi anime like Ghost in the Shell and Akira and has people who worked on quite a few renowned projects

I say we give it our full attention

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I've pledged $20, but I don't think it'll be any use. Too much money to get, too little time. Too bad, really.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
As for now I'm indifferent.

From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be that much different from anime produced in the standard model; We still have teenagers doing super charged teenage things, like ride motor cycles and shoot guns. Maybe it can good, but I've lost too much faith in anime by now to expect it will.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Sorry to burst your bubble but the kicktraq figures for that Kickstarter are not looking good. A final 48 reminder surge could push it over the bar but those can be fickle at best and tend to happen to projects that have already achieved the minimum goal for funding.

http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1300298569/under-the-dog/

Look on the bright side, at least with Kickstarter they won't be getting the money if they don't make it unlike Indiegogo.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Found out too late, and even then, I wouldn't look forward to it. The premise doesn't really give any sort of narrative freedom in terms of events and character choices. They have to do this, or their family dies. That means that either they are going to try to free their families at some point, or there is going to be a survivor at some point. Given the initial look of the commander of the forces, it implies that he's the bad guy at the front. The fact that it's meant to be futuristic with some sort of modifiers to human ability does not give the anime enough freedom to do things that are normally done in anime, such as shows like Angel Beats, or Knights of Sidonia, which is another anime endorsed by Kojima. And that's about mechs fighting man-eating meat plants in space.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
As for now I'm indifferent.

From what I've seen there doesn't seem to be that much different from anime produced in the standard model; We still have teenagers doing super charged teenage things, like ride motor cycles and shoot guns. Maybe it can good, but I've lost too much faith in anime by now to expect it will.
I'm a fan of Akira so the bikes were not an issue and I am a fan of Gunslinger girl so I don't mind them wielding guns. Regardless, we both know that tropes and commonalities don't necessarily doom a project; many anime have the same basic story but have varying quality between them. I can understand anxiety about it but the team looks good so the chances of it being good (if it even gets made but I will get to that) are higher.

To address people about the money thing, yeah, its sad but the anime community in America is not exactly overwhelming in terms of influence compared to say games. This outcome was expected to some extent. The only hope is that someone decides to finance the movie outside of Kickstarter and the like but that is slim.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
How is that different from anything, really? Perhaps i watched a wrong trailer, but there was a high school girl in a skirt and a moment later she was shooting guns and kicking ass ninja style and some guy behind a big ass screen waving his arms dramatically. I wont be heartbroken if this doesn't get made.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Gah, I wanted to not like this, but then I saw the trailer. I have a knee-jerk "fuck you" response to anyone who drops that immortal "anime is terrible/dead/a butt" line (even though it's true), which is something both the writer and director have floated. On top of that, the writer assured us Under the Dog is in the vein of Ghost in the Shell. Great! I hated Ghost in the Shell!

But that trailer was wonderful. Mmmm, but it's only got three days to make 130K. I'd heard about this before and just sorta assumed it was an open-and-shut thing, like Little Witch Academia.

Welp, have sixty bucks. Yeah, I want my DVD.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Rainbow_Dashtruction said:
Izanagi009 said:
I may have missed the bandwagon but now that Hideo Kojima has given his backing(see here [https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-09-02/metal-gear-solid-hideo-kojima-endorses-under-the-dog/.78313]) I suppose that I should comment

Under the Dog is a kickstarted project that will attempt to bypass the standard model of production committees and create an anime with more creative control. It's based on older sci-fi anime like Ghost in the Shell and Akira and has people who worked on quite a few renowned projects

Oh its based on Akira, the gigantic flop that costed a huge amount to make and ended up being a giantic flop outside of the west which it finally attracted to anime? Or Ghost in the Shell, the movie which had great animation, imagery and music surrounded by a plot that ended uprubtly and failed to actually focus enough on the part that gets the audience thinking, which the show, which is half half considered either amazing or terrible, actually did a lot better throughout more of.
You have any actual issues with the currently discussed project or are you just going to complain about it's inspirations. I like Ghost in the Shell and Akira, I find them pivotal in anime's history so regardless of our individual opinions, the two have had an impact on anime as a medium in the public eye

Regardless, I do hope that it actually is good or that it gets funded.

Edit: okay the thing with Akira and it's history is true but I think i have to disagree with you on Ghost in the shell.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Dr. Cakey said:
Gah, I wanted to not like this, but then I saw the trailer. I have a knee-jerk "fuck you" response to anyone who drops that immortal "anime is terrible/dead/a butt" line (even though it's true), which is something both the writer and director have floated. On top of that, the writer assured us Under the Dog is in the vein of Ghost in the Shell. Great! I hated Ghost in the Shell!

But that trailer was wonderful. Mmmm, but it's only got three days to make 130K. I'd heard about this before and just sorta assumed it was an open-and-shut thing, like Little Witch Academia.

You know, i've always wondered this since I saw you comment on Ghost in the Shell; What exactly do you dislike about it? I find both the show and the movie to have good themes about technology and how it alters humanity, the major and the rest of the crew are well written and it has one of the best settings i've seen in any show with how fleshed out it is.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Izanagi009 said:
Izanagi009 said:

Oh its based on Akira, the gigantic flop that costed a huge amount to make and ended up being a giantic flop outside of the west which it finally attracted to anime? Or Ghost in the Shell, the movie which had great animation, imagery and music surrounded by a plot that ended uprubtly and failed to actually focus enough on the part that gets the audience thinking, which the show, which is half half considered either amazing or terrible, actually did a lot better throughout more of.
You have any actual issues with the currently discussed project or are you just going to complain about it's inspirations. I like Ghost in the Shell and Akira, I find them pivotal in anime's history so regardless of our individual opinions, the two have had an impact on anime as a medium in the public eye

Regardless, I feel people get way to insultive of modern anime for a place that nearly always has something good to watch every season, which is more then any other industry can say.
I suppose so but I guess to the old guard and people like me who want the media to grow in thematic execution, seeing so many slice of life and harem, good or bad, is disheartening and can be very aggravating. There is always something good to watch but sometimes, the amount of crap that gets made is enough to make me and any other person down about the industry. I have talked about anime and female characters and that's the tip of the iceberg.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Izanagi009 said:
Izanagi009 said:
Izanagi009 said:

Regardless, I feel people get way to insultive of modern anime for a place that nearly always has something good to watch every season, which is more then any other industry can say.
I suppose so but I guess to the old guard and people like me who want the media to grow in thematic execution, seeing so many slice of life and harem, good or bad, is disheartening and can be very aggravating. There is always something good to watch but sometimes, the amount of crap that gets made is enough to make me and any other person down about the industry. I have talked about anime and female characters and that's the tip of the iceberg.
Eh, even in harem I've found anime I adored, like The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat. I guess my terms there are: "If you can still make a compelling plot and the main character isn't a blissful boob, its nowhere near as boring" and even then, most of anime is crap because most of everything is crap. Its like videogames. If all you see is Call of Duty, you are not looking hard enough.

Regardless, making a couple good anime every year is still far far better then the western movie industry, so its all good to me.
I see artistic stuff like Death Billiards, Aldnoah Zero, Psycho Pass, Even Jojo's could be considered artful

My issue is the fact that when the show is crap, it just pulls all the stops to be horrible: Rail wars, Momo Kyun Sword, Bladedancer of the elemetanls make me bash my head in with how stupid, banal, or lazy they are. Maybe I'm too angry and bitter at the industry but I really wish the harem genre would get it's head out of it's ass and actually make good shows with relationships that actually grow and develop instead of staying in stasis (Looking at you Infinite Stratos)

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Eh it's not really up my ally, looks great and I love the character designs, but the story doesn't do much for me and it seems to be a violence for violence sake style show.
Honestly I'd still back it if the physical releases were cheaper, but $60 is a bit too costly for my taste.
I really hope this gets funded, and I'm sad to see it looks like it won't, but hell Time of Eve is finally getting released this month and I'm frothing at the mouth for that one.

Lost faith sure seems like a weird melodramatic way to say you haven't enjoyed recent anime, or recent anime hasn't been to your taste. I understand the anime market has changed, evil moe and all that jazz, but you really don't have to bring it up every time anime is mentioned on this forum.

Oh and I loved Non Non Biyori and the Evangelion reboots, I loved the shit out of them, I loved them so much your utter hatred of them gets equaled out to general enjoyment.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
Dr. Cakey said:

You know, i've always wondered this since I saw you comment on Ghost in the Shell; What exactly do you dislike about it? I find both the show and the movie to have good themes about technology and how it alters humanity, the major and the rest of the crew are well written and it has one of the best settings i've seen in any show with how fleshed out it is.
I watched about three episodes of Stand Alone Complex before stepping out due to sheer boredom, but that was at least three or four years ago so I can't really comment on it. The original movie, however, I'm significantly more familiar with. It's unpleasant to look at, moves like a sloth dragging an anvil, its straightforward plot is somehow woven into possibly the most confusing series of events I've ever seen, it doesn't come close to even attempting to explore its themes (I don't recall a single moment it meaningfully addressed "technology and how it alters humanity"), and it heavily features 'cerebral nudity' - many films attempt to signal their complexity and deep meaning by having a naked woman in them. I'm not sure how the one follows from the other, but it seems to be a thing.

So...basically everything, I guess.

This is very much a situation where people like us, sitting pretty in not-Japan, should shut the fuck up, but people in the industry have every right to complain. The production committee model for creating anime is a monstrous one, as is the Osamu Tezuka-style episode production method. The former is bad for the art - squeezing projects so they appeal to niche interests and taking creative freedom away from directors and writers - while the latter is bad for the craft, because episodes have to be pumped out at an insane rate and treatment of animators is awful. From that perspective, virtually any project trying to get away from those sorts of things is worth supporting.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Dr. Cakey said:
Izanagi009 said:
Dr. Cakey said:

I watched about three episodes of Stand Alone Complex before stepping out due to sheer boredom, but that was at least three or four years ago so I can't really comment on it. The original movie, however, I'm significantly more familiar with. It's unpleasant to look at, moves like a sloth dragging an anvil, its straightforward plot is somehow woven into possibly the most confusing series of events I've ever seen, it doesn't come close to even attempting to explore its themes (I don't recall a single moment it meaningfully addressed "technology and how it alters humanity"), and it heavily features 'cerebral nudity' - many films attempt to signal their complexity and deep meaning by having a naked woman in them. I'm not sure how the one follows from the other, but it seems to be a thing.

So...basically everything, I guess.

This is very much a situation where people like us, sitting pretty in not-Japan, should shut the fuck up, but people in the industry have every right to complain. The production committee model for creating anime is a monstrous one, as is the Osamu Tezuka-style episode production method. The former is bad for the art - squeezing projects so they appeal to niche interests and taking creative freedom away from directors and writers - while the latter is bad for the craft, because episodes have to be pumped out at an insane rate and treatment of animators is awful. From that perspective, virtually any project trying to get away from those sorts of things is worth supporting.
To address both points

Huh, to each their own, I find the manga and the movie to be well made and meaningful but i can't change how you see the franchise

We are consumers all the same, we may not be able to influence the industry but we can say that we are a bit tired of so many bland harems and slice of life and can also criticize some story decisions and bad writing. As for both of the production methods, both don't really work but the issue becomes how to create content at a reasonable pace while allowing directors and writers more control over their product.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I am looking forward to watching it actually.

I've gone back into anime this year pretty heavily since summer started and I have a heavy backlog from earlier seasons, but I can spare this one (Under the dog) it's time to shine as well.