Poll: "There should be NO homework" A petition to get rid of homework in schools.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
The amount given should be lowered. It's getting to the point where almost all schoolwork is done at home while at school, teachers just recite what's in the notebooks in front of students without much analytical discussion. More work should be done in the actual classroom, that way the teacher may assist students. Taking up homework the next day is usually rushed in order to get to the next redundant lecture of the class that students have to work on at home.

HappyHacker

Dec 20, 2007
The issue with homework is the lesser intelegent humans need it to constantly keep the information fresh in brain to make is stick. the top of the class students dont need it to the point were you are just waisting their time. then you have the smart but incredibly lazy students that. ace every exam and know the answers to what you ask them but see homework for as a waist of time so they just dont do it.

In my opinion there should never be homework. there should be a small and i meen small review booklet of examples to what you went over that month, not daily you will just piss people off with homework.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Seriously, this is ridiculous. I don't see where this person gets their idea from that having homework stops them getting enough sleep. When I was at school, I started my homework more or less just after I got home from school and had a snack, just about quarter past 4. Then I'd have my dinner and finish any left over homework. With a bit of organisation, you could be done about 8 o' clock. Takes longer, don't have enough time to go outside and play? Tough luck. Finish your homework during the week and you will have the whole weekend free to sit on your ass and play Black Ops (as it's most likely what this kid wants to do, not go out to play football or run on a treadmill).

If this kid somehow got his wish and homework was abolished until people got to college and university, they would be in for one hell of a shock. When you get to college/uni (at least from my experience) you're given coursework, as it is then called, and expected to get on with it. You're tutor won't be giving you gentle reminders to have it finished on time, you'll be given a dealdine and more or less left to get on with it. But if this guy thinks he'd be able to deal with that fine without having ever had any previous experience of having a deadline or being responsible for his own work, then he's welcome to try.

Clearly, the guy's just a lazy sod, or going through that hilarious teenage rebellion stage. But most likely both. I wonder if he's even thought about who this petition will go to once he feels he has enough signatures.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
5th and 6th year of Irish secondary school is a ***** for homework and study,

9-4 days with an expected 3 hours of study a night afterwards.

However as shit as this is, it's necessary so no.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
Homework doesn't actually help kids learn more, it just wastes time. There are so many ways you can restructure the learning process to be more effective, but adding or assigning homework isn't one of them.

There are, 7 classes in a given school day all year long, right? Change the format and do 4 classes 1st half of the year and 4 classes the second half. You get more solid face time with a teacher on a subject and fit in an extra class during the year. This also gives less overall homework in a given day (if you need any - which I doubt). Another bonus is if you are not doing well in a particular subject, say math, use the 8th class to retake the subject.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
HappyHacker said:
The issue with homework is the lesser intelegent humans need it to constantly keep the information fresh in brain to make is stick. the top of the class students dont need it to the point were you are just waisting their time. then you have the smart but incredibly lazy students that. ace every exam and know the answers to what you ask them but see homework for as a waist of time so they just dont do it.

In my opinion there should never be homework. there should be a small and i meen small review booklet of examples to what you went over that month, not daily you will just piss people off with homework.
:)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I think that you should be able to do all your work in school, but if you don't work hard or fast enough, you get homework. Is it unfair? Yes. Would it help grades? Yes.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Don't want to do homework?
Well I never did, because I was smart enough to finish all of the work during the lessons themselves.

If you don't want to stay stupid, do your homework.
Really don't want to do homework? Then we'll switch to 11 hour schooldays, just for you <3

WordyLAnn

Oct 22, 2010
That person has no idea what they're talking about. There are so many holes in that argument my debate couch in high school would have an aneurysm. I could tear the argument into pieces, but I'll save myself the trouble.

There's nothing wrong with homework - actually I should have gotten more homework in high school. I wasn't prepared for all of the work I had to do in college and inevitably failed out.

soulsabr

Oct 9, 2008
Mr Montmorency said:
soulsabr said:
Your trollish rant reveals quite a bit about your character. I can now name quite a few careers you will never be able to pursue.

As for the subject of homework, I say assign it. This allows the child to be prepared for the opportunity to make something of themselves outside of high school. Once they are in the real world then they can decide for themselves if homework is a vital part of what they wish to do in life.
Trolling is having a different opinion? You make the Escapist proud!
A differing opinion, clearly presented with facts and relevant examples, is not trolling; baseless name calling and group generalization is. Next time you go see your doctor, dentist, pharmacist, local politician, need a police officer, ad infinitum, ask them if they had to do homework to get where they are. Oh yea, don't forget to call them all of those nice names when they tell you they did.

Mr Montmorency said:
Hm... I don't recall homework being a key factor other than education, experience and attitude. What if I don't want a job that requires work to be done from home? There are plenty of well paying jobs where you don't have to work from home.
Well, lets take my job as an engineer for a counter example. I had to do massive amounts of homework to earn my degree to become an engineer. Now that I have a job engineering I do not have to do any of that work at home. In fact, working from home is considered a privilege in so much as it saves you at least an hour on the road, gas money, lets you spend extra time with your family, etc ....

Mr Montmorency said:
Face it, you're playing the "it's practice for a real job" card. Assigning homework for no reason other than for assigning it in and of itself wastes children's time, even if they're quote obviously on top of their work. What better way to reward them by giving them more bloody work? I've had homework, while easy, getting me into trouble, because even though I could do everything in class I have my own business to attend to, and I have a few pathetic worksheets biting me in the ass every time I come back. Saying that it's "your responsibility" to get it done, just shows that you don't care and that you're assigning it regardless of academic progression because you can't teach properly. You're just using it as a way of showing their grades without actually doing your job, so you can get paid.
How about we take a subject such as differential equations and linear algebra into consideration, shall we? I challenge you, in one one and a half hour class, to teach even the most gifted student how to solve a triple derivative equation to find the magnetic flux in a sphere. Not to mention all of the rules, reductions, applications, substitutions, and formulas that go along with it. Lets face it, sixteen one and one half hour classes are not enough to teach anything. Teachers just lay the foundations that the student must then build upon.

Mr Montmorency said:
Saying that "you not getting it done is irresponsible" is also ignoring what I've just said. What if i've been responsible enough to do all of the assigned work in class, and it's not your job to tell me when I should be doing my work by giving me even more because you think you know how to run my life. It doesn't work like that.
OK, this argument makes no sense. First, you are not born knowing how to run your life. Simple fact. Ask any one year old how to balance a check book, calculate interest, pay taxes, or any of a hundred daily tasks and see what results you get. Classwork and homework are two separate animals presented at two separate times for basically the same goal; to help you learn. Homework is definitely not trying to run your life but is a way to force repetition which is the key to learning. Remember when you learned to type? You got better over time and the same is true with anything.

Mr Montmorency said:
You should give work, and if anyone doesn't finish it, they do it in their home time. That's responsibility. Telling them everything they need to know for free, then sending them home with the work sheet, they can still know everything they learned the next time they turned up while not doing the worksheet, essentially, if they worked in class is irrelevant, because you're punishing them as much as everyone else by giving them monotonous crap every night, they could be using on learning something they're interested in, or just living.
Again, a rather poorly thought out response. Homework is not a punishment. I will agree, for the most part, it is monotonous and boring. However, I have learned that it is quite essential to learn as people only learn through repetition (refer to typing example). People are not built to retain knowledge that they do not use. Without the repetition provided by take home assignments you would forget more than 90% of what you learned that day. And just as a side thought, we all know how much people run to the library to pick up particle physics books to read while at home rather than, say, running around with friends or playing games.

Your arguments are hollow at best. If you're going to try to make a point at least try to make it using arguments that sound like they are based on fact and made up from an victimization standpoint. From your rant it sounds as if you have never actually talked to a teacher and given that person's input the time of day. Teachers are dedicated, underpaid, and unappreciated and deserve our respect. I personally would never do their job for the pay they are forced to accept to do what they love. For your sake, I really hope that you wake up one day.

Finally, I know your ego won't let you resist responding so I'd just like to let you know that this is my last post in this conversation. Cheers!

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
The Rogue Wolf said:
The terrible grammar on that petition tells me that this kid should be getting MORE homework.
This. A million times over.

Seriously, ever since the public education system was invented, every single school kid has hated homework, and bitched about wanting it removed. How much do you want to bet that when they're grown up, these very same kids will be pushing their own children to do all their homework so they can do well in the world?

omega_peaches

Jan 23, 2010
First Reaction: WHAT THE FUCK? 12 HOURS OF SLEEP? I AM LUCKY TO GET 7!

Second Reaction: Too much homework? I bet this person is AT MOST in grade 6, If they complain about essay lengths, they must be shitting themselves. Unless it's like, 10,000 words, its easy! I can shit out 400 words in a few minutes.

Third Reaction: The terrible grammar shows that this kid needs more homework, longer classes, summer school, and school on the weekends.

Mr Montmorency

Jun 29, 2010
soulsabr said:
Finally, I know your ego won't let you resist responding so I'd just like to let you know that this is my last post in this conversation. Cheers!
Ah, you're one of those people. The irony.

You go ahead and shut your ears whenever a differing opinion arrives to challenge you.

And for the record-- you didn't read my point about "getting homework based on stuff you aren't able to cover". I was arguing over pointless homework, and your point about algebraic complexity basically agreed with me. Food for thought. You head along now, Mr Condescension.

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
LordCuthberton said:
It's better in the long run. Black Ops will always be there, your opportunities won't.
This one hits close to home for me. I know its true, but sometimes I just can't bring myself to prioritize working on assignments, or studying, over games.

This should be the thread topic, or along this line. How can individuals who agree with this principle, but who find it hard to restrain themselves work this out.

Then we might actually affect some positive change instead of pointless speculation. speculating endlessly and ultimately resulting in nothing of value.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Homework is good, helps people think about their work in their own time.
It can be more effective than verbal teaching for some.

sam13lfc

Oct 29, 2008
There should be homework as long as it's relevant and doesn't take up study time in exam periods, however it should not be set to a deadline. That discourages people and makes it stressful getting a lot, so the people who do it get some revision without the stress, and the people who don't, don't.

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
I can understand where he's coming from - Homework does suck, and it does take time up.
The fact is, though, that people only have so long before their brains start to learn less efficiently - after 18 or so, you stop being able to really "Soak Up" new knowlage - why do you think Older people have trouble with phones these days?
8-12 hours sleep? Well, yeah, I suppose you have a point there. Maybe. But rushing it to get to bed, and then being suprised when you don't learn it? Not so much. You can't just learn if you're not interested.
Obesity? Really? Clearly, the "Smart" kids are the ones most likely to know that Excersize is good for them, and will find time for it.
Best 17 years of your life? Look up the phrase "Rose-Tinted Glasses." Sure, being a kid is the best 17 years of your life, but considering Politics, money, work and so forth, that isn't much of a fucking challange.
Geting them to sign stuff, to show commitment? If you want to learn commitment, commit yourself to your homework - Commitment is about NOT taking the easy way out.
Saving it for college? Yeah, good, idea. Just suddenly introduce the idea after around 16 years of not having it. That won't cause any stress or anything.
Bottom line - Homework sucks, yes, but you can't just expect to get along in life on 6 hours a week, 40 weeks a year, for 10 years, max, of learning time.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
They completely threw their argument out the window when the misspelled exercise and I haven't even finished reading it.

Not to mention that this guy completely contradicts himself.

"But I don't learn anything. not even in math, I don't learn anything..."

"Most Kids that are obese are smart and do all there homework," Isn't this contradicting the above statement? Not to mention, their inability to notice the grammatical difference between 'there' and 'their' is probably a big sign that they don't learn anything. Homework is the one way this stuff sticks. Yes, I hate it and I wish my teachers would give us a tad bit less, but nothing, not even an education, comes without hard work.

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Holy jesus christ buttery tit balls!

This is the biggest hunk of shit I've seen in a while.

People seem to think that homework is some sort of device teachers use to torture kids, it's not. It's meant to help you practice the material you are doing.