Poll: Think you think straight? Think again...

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen, step right up and get your free philosophical health check...

It appears many of you didn't know the definitions of a few words which are crucial to your understanding of some of the questions in this test. Sorry if this comes across as patronising...

Objectivity - Meaning ultimate truth, not personal opinion.

Subjectivity - Meaning truth from a personal perspective, your's or another's opinion.

Atheist - Meaning one who does not believe in God. This does automatically assume the statement "There is no God, singular or plural". In the test, Atheism is not considered a faith.

Thank you and my apologies if you are left in a state of rage afterwards, Enjoy.

Ever wondered if your ideas about the world are actually consistent with each other?

Ever feel like you might be a raging hypocritical moron? Ever thought someone else was?

Truth is, most of us spend our lives attached to little ideas we have about the way life should be but it turns out few of us actually agree with the principles we think we do. A lot of the time, our ideas come into conflict with each other which is why working out the morality of things can be tricky...

For example;

Do you believe that people should be free to make their own decisions and live out their lives doing what they want so long as they don't hurt anyone else?

Do you believe a person should be arrested if they sat next to you on a park bench and injected themselves with heroin in front of you and your kids?

Well, you can't actually have one without the other.

I found this great website a little while back and there is a bunch of tests on it that evaluate your ideas, ethics and morals, just to let you know that you probably spend most nights arguing with yourself and why...

Take a look! http://www.philosophersnet.com/games/check.php

(no I'm not advertising btw, just sharing something cool)

Aaaand for the discussion, Share your findings with us and lets find out who can walk the walk, talk the talk and erm... Think.... the think.... There is bound to be some surprises in store for everyone. Certainly made me think twice.

Edit

I just wanted to address a few common complaints with some of the questions...

The one that causes the most grief is the Michaelangelo question...

Are judgements of art purely a subjective matter?

vs

Michaelangelo is one of history's finest artists

The key word is purely, If you believe that judgement of art is purely subjective you are not leaving room for any objectivity. If you state that "Michaelangelo's work is one of history's finest artists" you are also suggesting that someone else's negative opinion doesn't count.

The question didn't say "In my opinion, Michaelangelo is one of history's finest artists"...

A cheap shot perhaps, but the questions are designed to test the strength of your convictions. You need to be able to account for all possible meanings of a phrase as well as taking it as literally as possible...

Also regarding the questions I posted in the OP above (also covered in the test under a different wording:

It was deliberately ambiguous. And I personally agree with a lot of you regarding the specifics of the question, although the purpose of the question wasn't to ask for your stance on drugs, the real point of the question was this...

Should people live freely so long as they do not harm others?

Should something be made illegal if it can harm oneself?

If we believe the first statement we should also accept the potential consequences of the second. There is at least some conflict in one's attitudes toward personal freedom if both statements are agreed with in this case.

Those statements are designed to come into conflict with each other. My apologies for not making the questions a little clearer.

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
Not bad, I have a tension of 7%, which as I understand it is pretty consistent. Though the one they caught me out on was kind of bullshit because it asked was Michaelangelo one of history's greatest artists, which is a matter of opinion, but they said that because I said yes it contradicted what I said earlier about Art always being subjective.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
7% here too.

You agreed that:
The environment should not be damaged unnecessarily in the pursuit of human ends
But disagreed that:
People should not journey by car if they can walk, cycle or take a train instead
In retrospect, my agreement with the first one was kind of silly.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
ItsAChiaotzu said:
Though the one they caught me out on was kind of bullshit because it asked was Michaelangelo one of history's greatest artists, which is a matter of opinion, but they said that because I said yes it contradicted what I said earlier about Art always being subjective.
All historical subjects are a matter of opinion!

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I love how they put up complex, multiple-point statements and then ask you to agree or disagree with the whole thing. Lovely questionnaire, I could only answer a few of 'em, so... no score.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Lol, I got a 7%, with only one answer in conflict, and in that case it was a case of misunderstanding the implication of the wording of one of the statements, so yeah.

I'm calling that a 0% tension quotient.

-m

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Sir-jackington said:
i got 20%.......still not too sure what that means
That would be a low rating. That's pretty good and means that when you take most issues under consideration, you are objective in your approach to them.

Someone who had a high tension rating would mean that they were quite hypocritical in their thought process.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
13% with two contradictions - apparently I don't reconcile the "problem of evil" and don't have my facts straight with the environment.

Not bad.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Apparently believing that art is a matter of taste and believing a particular artist is one of histories greatest are in conflict.

Er... ..right? Sorry, don't get that: My own personal opinion of the artist has no baring on what others feel about him.

Same issue for the Holocaust actually. I don't believe that there is any intrinsic thing we can point to and say "That is wrong for all cultures." The fact that my personal opinion is that the Holocaust shows just how evil humans can be doesn't really come into that.

The only thing I'm really conflicted over would be the drug issue, and that's fair enough in my book.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
I have 27%, I think that this is kinda BS.

For example:

You agreed that:
So long as they do not harm others, individuals should be free to pursue their own ends
But disagreed that:
The possession of drugs for personal use should be decriminalized

The effects of one persons drug use is rarely contained to just one person. What do they do when they run out of money for their drugs? or what they do when there high? Drugs don't just effect the user...

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
I got 7%.

Only conflict, apparently, was this:

I can kind of understand, but I don't think I know anyone nor know of anyone who believes genocide isn't a bad thing.