Poll: Think you think straight? Think again...

itsnotyouitsme

Dec 27, 2008
This test is bad because it has preset logic that baffles me and doesn't allow you to inject your own thoughts into the matter while doing it. Example:
Questions 4 and 11: Is killing always wrong?
You agreed that:
It is always wrong to take another person's life
And also that:
The second world war was a just war
What if i believe that "war" is a way of "justified" killing. Justified being justified by the government rather then moral standings. What if i thought the question is invalid because i think the second world war is just another war and should not be thought of differently or taken to a different level because of what happened in it?
The questions are not well done imo
to a hightend example:
Questions 14 and 25: How do we judge art?
You agreed that:
Judgements about works of art are purely matters of taste
And also that:
Michaelangelo is one of history's finest artists
When you go to the eye doctor and both 1 and 2 are the same he says "just pick one". It is true or false and the third answer i would have liked to give "neutral/dont care" isn't there. Besides, in the world of art Michael is one of the histories finest artists, not by personal belief, but by a general idea or poll, although now thinking about it "famous" came to mind.

With the poor wording and one way mind, which reflects the creators mind very well, it is hard to take serious what it has to say.
33% tension, every tension however easy to explain and thus not tension.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
I got 20% although I felt the reasonings behind some of the "tensions" was a tad wrong... I mean the thing ask for my OPPINION, and my opinion is that ethics based on culture. So when they ask if Genocide is wrong even if it is done by another culture with a differing ethic code, I still think it is wrong... If I wanted to I could have answered "clever" to all the questions, but I didn't

PS: I actually hate these types of "you said that, therefore you should not say this.." surveys...

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
You agreed that:
So long as they do not harm others, individuals should be free to pursue their own ends
But disagreed that:
The possession of drugs for personal use should be decriminalised

I assumed that drugs can harm others, which they can.

You agreed that:
Severe brain-damage can rob a person of all consciousness and selfhood
And also that:
On bodily death, a person continues to exist in a non-physical form

The first is only during life. I believe in reincarnation so the spirit does pass on but people who are barely even alive still have no sense of self. Not a real contradiction.

I got 13%