Poll: This is for all the Gamers out there!

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Other- I often actually prefer 2D sprites and cute emotive animation over hyper-realism, so there is absolutely no downsides to getting 2D games for me really.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Graphics are the least important thing to me. So of course I'd gladly buy a 2D game with a great story and gameplay.

Maleval

Feb 2, 2011
Yes. If I were to pick a graphics style that would turn me off, that would be the PS1 era 3d graphics, when the idea was there but the hardware could barely handle it. But that's not really an issue nowadays. Other than that I really don't pay much attention to the graphics anyway.

chronicfc

Jun 1, 2011
2D doesnt necessarily mean bad graphics, look at Castlevania: SoTN, Braid or Terraria, they aren't bad looking games, and if you mean Duke Nukem 3D type 2D then why not? Its still a fun game to play, despite the low graphical fidelity. I still re-play Star Wars KoTOR2 every now and then (in that I dont think 4 months has passed where I havent played that game). Pokemon is also still a blast, graphics dont matter, gameplay matters

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I bought Trine, planning on getting Cthulhu Saves the World. If the game is good or interesting, I'll play it.

Dec 27, 2010
I'm unsure of what you by 2D. Do you mean a side scroller, top-down, 8/ 16-bit or sprite-based (alla Doom). Yes to all (if the game itself is good).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yes I would since I'm the gameplay > graphic type of guy. Heck I even planning to buy Chrono Trigger for the DS (same SNES graphic) for Christmas since I've read how much of a classic that game is.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Nimcha said:
No, not really. Graphics are important to me, it's the way I immerse myself in the game.
Then again, this would mean that 2D = bad graphics. I'd beg to differ really, with gems like Braid, Legends of Mana, the new Rayman game, etc etc. Not to mention the difference between graphical quality and art direction.

So yeah, a game's graphics matter to me too, but it's not like a 2D game can't look gorgeous and not be visually immersive. There's both good 2D games as bad 3D games in that department.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Nope. Same reason why I wouldn't go to a theatre and pay a ticket to see a black and white silent movie. Or read a book carved on blocks of stone.

Lambda Beta

Mar 15, 2011
I would if the game was well made and stood out in some form. For example Fallen Frontier is 2-d and it looks interesting to me

The Big Boss

Apr 4, 2011
Some of the best games ever are in 2D. So many in fact that i won't even bother to name them. And just because something is in 2D doesn't mean it's ugly. I personally LOVE old-style snes sprites and graphics as much as i do the hyper-realistic.

Mallefunction

Feb 17, 2011
Yeah, I'd rather have a decent game with 2D graphics over a shitty game blinged out with the best in the business.

I would like for them to be pretty good quality 2D graphics though. If I can't tell the difference between certain interacting background objects then that's a sign of shoddy design. Also, the gameplay has to be good since we can't move in a non-3D realm.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
Wait, 2D isn't even a graphics issue. If you want something that looks pretty, well, that's perfectly possible in 2D.

Hell, 2D graphics is usually preferably for a 2D game. With good art direction it'll look better.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Yes. Two-dimensional graphics are in no way bad graphics.

Vrach said:
Nope. Same reason why I wouldn't go to a theatre and pay a ticket to see a black and white silent movie. Or read a book carved on blocks of stone.
Fail analogy is fail.

The lack of a Z-axis doesn't take anything away for a game experience designed on a two-dimensional plane.

Meanwhile, a black and white movie would in most cases deprive the viewer of potentially important visual cues, and silent movies would make implementing dialogue a clumsier process.

The "books carved of stone" thing doesn't even deserve an explanation for why it's a nonsensical thing to say.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I would buy a 2D game but not and RPG.

The last 2D i bought and still play is The King of fighters 2002 Unlimited match

Most people answered yes, surprise.[/sarcasm]