Poll: Thoughts on a Fallout game set in another part of the world?

Dr_McSteamy

Death Kitties!
Jul 7, 2011
So yes, we know that the vaults are an integral part of the fallout mythos and that the game setting has been built so that it is very US centric, but what do you think of a Fallout game set in say, Africa? Or perhaps South America? Somewhere that would not have been hit with any (or very few) nukes directly but still affected by the global changes, such as Zion was in Fallout NV. It would allow for a lot of new ideas to be worked into the game's universe without messing with the established cannon.

So I ask, Fallout in another part of the world?

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I've always wanted this from Fallout. I know that the game's roots are pretty much embedded in Americana, and there are those that will say that Fallout wouldn't be Fallout if it weren't set in America.

They might have a point.

To be honest, if Fallout 4 is set in America again (which it likely will be) I'm just not going to get it. I'm tired of it. For such an interesting backstory to the series, I would like to see how the rest of the world has been affected, and I think it's time for it to go abroad. If it does stick around, it would have to come up with some kind of incredible mindblowing setting within America (which it likely won't) for me to be interested.

felbot

May 11, 2011
ah yes let bethesda fuck the lore some more.

no i would not buy it, ok i would but I dont think it can really work for fallout, i mean the only place with vaults is america, any other place would just be barren, empty man.

Norrdicus

Feb 27, 2012
Dr_McSteamy said:
Yes, because it'd force Bethesda to be creative. The last several games they've been adapting environments that have their own pre-established lore in previous games, yet sometimes getting it sort of wrong (Cyrodiil being an unoriginal western fantasy location, all Fallout 3 communities pretty much living in old junk and piles of rubble with all other bunch of weird errors etc.)

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
working it into the lore might be a bit tricky, maybe someone emerges from a vault and sets sail for a different region of the world for whatever reason.

that being said, i would find it considerably more interesting to explore some different settings. bombed out america has been going on for a while now

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
I want a place with noticeable landmarks. New Vegas killed the desire for wide open deserts. Which in my mind means some sort of city. London would be neat. Get to see big ben all smashed up, along with Mr. Handys complaining about the state of the city.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Maybe they could just do Fallout 4 in Canada? I mean that country seems like it's ripe for exploration. And it's relevant to the story of Fallout seeing how it was annexed by the US and there were riots and junk.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
felbot said:
ah yes let bethesda fuck the lore some more.

no i would not buy it, ok i would but I dont think it can really work for fallout, i mean the only place with vaults is america, any other place would just be barren, empty man.
Unless Bethesda hires Obsidian for story writing, expect more canon raping in the next installment of the series. That is for certain.

Well, the cancelled TFS Fallout Extreme for the xbox and PS2, was going to take place in other locations as well as the US such as China. Not sure how it worked out in terms of lore though.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Extreme

mavkiel

Apr 28, 2008
However, radiation in fallout is treated more as a particle then a ray. *shrugs* At least thats how I took it since fallout 3 :p

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Yeah, I'd like to see China or Russia. England too.
Come on, america can't be the only country on the entire earth that prepared for nuclear for by building vaults, or even other forms of preserving life and civilization.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
No. I'm not American but I know one of the underlying themes of Fallout is the whole 'The American Dream gone wrong' thing, and you cant really have that in another country.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Tayh said:
Yeah, I'd like to see China or Russia. England too.
Come on, america can't be the only country on the entire earth that prepared for nuclear for by building vaults, or even other forms of preserving life and civilization.
Actually the rest of the world is supposed to be EVEN worse off then America because they really didn't think of it.

Tenpenny moved to America from Britain, apparently there are some working ships in the post-apocalyptic world, because of how bad it was over there.

http://www.1up.com/features/fallout-3-afterthoughts?pager.offset=2
1UP: Tenpenny Tower.

EP: Tenpenny Tower was slightly inspired by Fiddler's Green, the skyscraper in George Romero's Land of the Dead. But it was also an opportunity to introduce another character from outside the U.S. Allistair Tenpenny came to the Capital Wasteland from Great Britain to seek his fortune, so that alone tells you that the U.K. was also hit in the war. And if he came to U.S. to succeed, that says a lot about how screwed up Europe must be. So we just allude, a little bit, to the state of the rest of the world. We like to leave a lot to the players' imaginations, and somebody like Tenpenny serves as a catalyst for those thoughts.

Life in America is crap, but everywhere else, its even worse.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Of course I would. I'd play any Fallout game. Hell, I even played the "Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel" abomination that was exclusive to the X-Box/PS2.

Soundwave

Sep 2, 2012
Jorec said:
Maybe they could just do Fallout 4 in Canada? I mean that country seems like it's ripe for exploration. And it's relevant to the story of Fallout seeing how it was annexed by the US and there were riots and junk.
That would make sense to me. Especially after skyrim. Snow and moose and all that.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Dr_McSteamy said:
So yes, we know that the vaults are an integral part of the fallout mythos and that the game setting has been built so that it is very US centric, but what do you think of a Fallout game set in say, Africa? Or perhaps South America? Somewhere that would not have been hit with any (or very few) nukes directly but still affected by the global changes, such as Zion was in Fallout NV. It would allow for a lot of new ideas to be worked into the game's universe without messing with the established cannon.

Fallout is based almost entirely on americana, and I doubt there are any trappings of "fallout" in other places. Vault-tec probably only made vaults in america (although it could be interesting to see if maybe they sold them to the chinese as well, playing both sides), there's no Enclave elsewhere, no brotherhood of steel, no anything really. They have their own factions, which I guess would be alright, but you'd quickly lose a lot of what makes Fallout.

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
Fallout kinda runs of then SCIENCE! of the 1950's, and warped sense of American culture of that time period. So, I'm not all that sure how it would work outside North America.

Sure, gonig outside America would be interesting, but then what? It kinda loses the whole point of being Fallout. Why not make the game an original IP (other than publishers being scared away)?