Poll: Thoughts on Death Metal.....

shotgunjoe

Apr 7, 2010
wouldyoukindly99 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Horrid. The vocals always annoy me.
And the shitty, uninteresting guitar playing and the repetitive drumming and the most unescessary bass player in any musical genre (Seriously, no one can hear you. Why are you in the band?).

But I'm a classic rock/jazz/blues snob so of course I hate it, I think most of it's appeal comes from the angsty/angry energy it exudes.
Classic rock and blues don't have repetitive drumming and uninteresting guitar playing? I think death metal guitar parts are usually great. Most blues and classic rock sounds dull and repetitive, whilst death metal is all about creating excitement.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
Three words: "Strapping young lad" one of THE best bands ever. Heavy as hell, no wait, Heavy as a really HEAVY thing.

Sakurazaki1023

Feb 15, 2010
While I prefer Power Metal and Symphonic Metal, I have no problem with some death metal as long as the growls and screams are broken up with clean lyrics.

shotgunjoe

Apr 7, 2010
WindScar said:
Three words: "Strapping young lad" one of THE best bands ever. Heavy as hell, no wait, Heavy as a really HEAVY thing.
Not death metal, but an amazing band. Devin Townsend is a genius.

JimmerDunda

Sep 12, 2009
To me Death Metal is a bunch of nonsense. Nothing but screamo morons who aim at angst teenage kids. I truly cannot stand it.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Can't stand the stuff, and why can none of the singers actually sing properly, harcore punk rock bands manage to do the guttural vocal range while still sounding audible and being able to correctly adjust their pitch to remain interesting.

JimmerDunda

Sep 12, 2009
Novskij said:
JimmerDunda said:
To me Death Metal is a bunch of nonsense. Nothing but screamo morons who aim at angst teenage kids. I truly cannot stand it.
Most teenage kids cant stand Death Metal. Screamo has nothing to do with Death Metal. And please how can you call people who play complex music and write philosophycal lyrics, or question morals within their music, morons?
I am sorry did you just call Death Metal philosophical?

I think I just chuckled a little.

WindScar

Aug 6, 2008
shotgunjoe said:
WindScar said:
Not death metal, but an amazing band. Devin Townsend is a genius.
Sir, I must say you are an amazing person and you deserve to be rewarded with applause for being awesome.

JimmerDunda

Sep 12, 2009
Novskij said:
JimmerDunda said:
Novskij said:
JimmerDunda said:
Most teenage kids cant stand Death Metal. Screamo has nothing to do with Death Metal. And please how can you call people who play complex music and write philosophycal lyrics, or question morals within their music, morons?
I am sorry did you just call Death Metal philosophical?

I think I just chuckled a little.
Thus, further proving your Ignorance.

Death - Secret Face.

There is a mask
That covers up one's true intentions
Once removed, things become very clear
Analyze behavior patterns to see beneath
The person that is presented to you
Vulnerable through trust
Life is a twisted maze of obstacles
Presented by people with a secret face

What's on the outside
Is not always all that is real
Live by caution, what I feel
When things are reversed
People are shown for what they are
The truth is revealed
Banish the false
Pacifying moments with an acquired disguise to obtain
The things they want
By the anguish of someone alse
Materialistic motives are fulfilled
Cherich the true
Vulnerable through trust
Life is a twisted maze of obstacles
Presented by people with a secret face

In this song, the subjects are mostly concerned with individuals who are liers, and traitors, how people are often covering their true self for profit, and often using people until they are of no more use. This happens almost every day in many of our lives.

Suffocation - Thrones Of Blood.

The thought of killing entered my mind some time ago.
What possesses an individual to kill.
I have often pondered the thought.
Time and time again.
Now it's clear to me.

They want me to be part of this world they have created.
I say fuck you.
Don't tell me how to live.

Maybe if I eliminate the people.
Who fit this so - called mold.
My pain will finally be released.
And my mind free of thought.

The ax struck hard and fast.
Splitting the skull in two.
She fell instantly.
The blood spewed.
From where her head used to be.
I then struck another blow.

Only the lives of others.
Can quench my harsh reality.

I received much excitement.
From these two blows.
I must continue to strike her corpse.
Once again I brought the tool of my trade.

I proceeded to hack several more times.
A pile of flesh now lies before me.

Unrelenting need to fulfill my lust for death.
I must purge the world of it's filth.

Disorder scars my mind.
With killing fascination.
My tasks are far from done.
Everything must die.

This song is obviously more violent, but its meaning is mostly in the fact that morals and "society" is being forced upon many people, provoking a great conflict, which is in this case described as brutal muder. Now violence may not be a way to react, but isnt it true that people are forced to live under society's rules far too much? You see people being singled out every single day for their wierdness.

Now maybe the songs are not entirely philosophical, but Death Metal is more than just anger.

It brings together the worst of human feelings and features. Sorrow,Anger,Depression, Betrayal, Violence, etc. Death Metal lyrics are often concerned with the worst of humans.

The violent and anti religious lyrics that we often see in Death Metal, has a Nihilistic meaning behind it, a rejection of morals and rules bestowed upon us by the majority, by society, by religion, by goverment, and thus pretty much binding us and taking our freedom, and our own individuality away. Morals are after all, subjective.

Death Metal tackles these things in their lyrics, it is a movement of individuality and independance.

Now to dismiss it as teen angst, is simply ignorance.
Ok thats nice, you managed to pull a song with "meaningful lyrics." You can find a song in just about damn near any genre with meaningful lyrics with a deeper meaning behind them. The manner which it is sung and present in death metal is absolutely atrocious. You get nothing out of the song other than some Gothic idiot screaming his guts out. Hell I would are say rap has more meaningful songs than this cesspool you call a genre.

The Iconnorclast

Mar 31, 2010
It all depends on the individual songs. For instance, Dark Tranquility's "Cathode Ray Sunshine" has the growling lyrics but also great guitar parts, if its just endless growling without rhythme it grows old.

Other examples of good death metal is "The Gears" by Dethklok or "Goliaths Disarm their Davids" by In Flames, because they actually have good music beneath the growls, which I dont mind anyways, its just part of expressing the theme of the music.

shotgunjoe

Apr 7, 2010
I've made it clear that I love death metal, but this thing about it being "philosophical" or at least more so than any other genre is kinda horseshit. "This song is philosophical because it says that society sucks". That's not philosophical, that's bullshit you get in Green Day songs. Nihilism is present in every genre to a certain extent, in that many people use music as a form of escapism, regardless of the genre.

However, JimmerDunda, you clearly know nothing about music. One, death metal and "gothic" are two very different things. Two, you clearly haven't been listening to the right rap if you think it's all meaningless. You will probably say it's all based on "guns, bitches, drugs and bling" as most ignorami do, to which I always retort that rock is a genre based on violence, misogyny, drug use and extravagance. Sure, some rock groups aren't like that, but same with rap groups. Groups like Organized Konfusion have insane flow, and there is a great amount of skill in their beatcraft, lyrical structure and technicality and precision of delivery. Get your facts straight before you dismiss a genre completely. Sure there's a lot of bullshit in rap, but there's a lot of bullshit in any genre.

Greater Evil

Apr 18, 2009
Novskij said:
Greater Evil said:
They're Melodic Death Metal
You can read wikipedia, congratulations is in order then?

Not that wikipedia is correct on the subject of melodeath.
I'd like to point out that
1) the band uses melodic progressions in their songs
2) they are death metal
3) death metal + melodic progressions = melodic death metal
4) they have acknowledged that they are melo death metal

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
Metal is one immense and very expansive genre.
I very seldom in the mood to listen to pure death metal. I'm more into prog-metal myself.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Reapd said:
Shru1kan said:
ReincarnatedFTP said:
I love it.
Admittedly, most death metal I listen to is melo-death. I'll listen to plain death if I get to hear awesome guitar solos though.
I like this guy. Melo-death and Progressive Death are the best. Opeth is a good one.
Don't you mean Otep??? :3 Just Kidding!!
Thor Doomhammer said:
Firstly, there's alot of bad Death Metal around. Bands that seem to think Death Metal = making noise (and of course the fans that think incomprehensible = better). But, that said, Death Metal contains some of the best displays of pure musical ability available. Particularly in the case of drums, which are used as instruments rather than the glorified metronomes they seem to be in so many other genres.
VS.
Tdc2182 said:
Let's see. Any idiot with half a brain and knows two notes on a guitar and can just scream can make death metal. So yeah, I think that portrays my feelings on that subject.

The only band I give any credit to is Mudvayne, but that is because they actually have a little thing called talent.
I agree with the first guy......... Death Metal takes way more skill with almost every instrument than other genres...... Like *pukes* Pop
Thankyou.
I would suggest searching for a video of Cannibal Corpse. Or most Death Metal bands. They need to play incredibly fast whilst it still being musically correct, the drums is usually double bass kicks, blast beats etc. Bass is amazing in Death Metal and guitar, well, is scary.
Also, growling is incredibly hard to do.