Poll: To keep or not to keep?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Princess Rose said:
So yeah, I totally think this guy is lying.
Every story has two sides and both parties will always believe they are telling the right one, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle.
Main problem is the claim of gift or not is entirely up to the individuals interpretation, could be they both misunderstood what sort of TV ownership agreement they established at the time and with items of such high value that is quite a pickle.

Honestly you guys need to give it a month to cool down and then have a sensible talk to resolve this.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
So you bought it at Christmas. Did you get her another gift? Otherwise I can see why she thought that was a gift to her. People don't generally buy themselves gifts at Christmas, we're already spending too much buying stuff for everyone else.

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
oops i think i voted for her to keep it by accident, you should defo take the TV from the mooching *****

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
If you both put money towards it together, its both of yours and the only solution is to sell it and split the money in relation to how much you each contributed.
If you bought it and never specificly said it was a gift for her, legally it is yours and you shouldn't let her bully it out of you.

If she wont give up, or takes it despite you saying no, take it to court, you'll win.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
whateversclever said:
i bought this 'tv' during the christmas time while living with my girlfriend. someone who at the time we had a very strong connection, and i felt that she had potential to be my life partner. i bought this tv because she had an older dlp tv that's picture was kinda grainy and fuzzy, and this was the main tv in the living room. i didn't like it. if i was going to live there and for what i felt was going to be for more than another 8 months, i wanted a tv that was impressive, awesome resolution, and to be enjoyed by all. so christmas time rolled around and tigerdirect had a killer sale on a 73" dlp HDTV, and i bought it. i told her, "look what i got US honey!"
this was not a gift to a girl. i dont give $1500 gifts to girls, i'm not a baller. I'm a hardworking young man who works outside all day long to earn a decent wage, and i wanted my new home to have something that we could all enjoy. that being said...i bought a big ass tv.
she feels the need to keep this tv, even tho the entire time we dated she pretty much refused to get a job. or work, or cook, or clean, or do anything but watch netflix movies and cable on this tv. that's it. i worked my hands to the bone, 40-50 hours a week to pay the entire rent, all the utilities, and all the bills(including her credit cards, extensive medical bills, and other misc expenses) while she did as little as possible.
i pleaded with her to find work, i tried to help her use the online job finders to get anything. she just wouldn't. when i would get upset and ask her why she's not trying harder, she would break down and cry. and cry and cry and cry and yell and fight until i got sick of fighting with her and would just drop the subject and then, work more and work harder to make sure the bills got paid.
finally, i got fed up and we got into a big ugly, the one that she speaks of and i think this might be the final straw. but of course she wants to keep this giant tv as a big fuck off to me for apparently being a giant asshole and paying all her bills and taking care of her for a year and a half.....my bad.
Depends on how ugly you want this to be. It's yours by right, but you're going to make enough money to get another one before too long now that you're not paying for all her stuff. Also, 40-50 hours a week isn't really that impressive, it's pretty standard. My Brother-In-Law worked 70-80 hours a week for all his life.

Substitute Troll

Aug 29, 2010
I'm just surprised someone would end up with her in the first place. She sounds like the most evil, manipulating ***** since Kreia (please don't hurt me kreia). But I guess most of what you're saying is exagerration from anger. Exagerration aside, this isn't something that should even be discussed. It's yours, she can fuck off.

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
So, you saw her poll and decided to make one of your own to counter it? (one which I can't really understand, does yes mean your side or her side?) That seems kind of petty, like, "hey look, I can use the internets too!". Besides, she has simply stated "what should I do" while you've just bitched for a while.

MeatsOfEvil

Dec 4, 2009
Hm... The topic is to keep or not to keep, but the question "it's hers?". I vote whichever option says it's your tv.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
The tv rightfully belongs to her. While living with her, you didn't like the tv she had, so you went out and replaced it. An upgrade. Although you payed for the upgrade, it's still her tv. No one twisted your arm. I'm sure she was content with her tv, otherwise she would have bought a new one. You felt, at the time, that you guys were together for the long haul which made the purchase very low risk. However, shit hit the fan and now you realize you fucked up. Too bad, you've just earned an expensive life lesson.

Also, if she is as bad as you are saying, consider this a bad break up tax. Don't let a frivolous object come between you and a bad situation. If you really do work as hard as you say, Christmas season is right around the corner and I'm sure you'll be able to get a new tv soon.

Horuta

Nerds tend to pick on me;)
Feb 17, 2011
Princess Rose said:
whateversclever said:
Huh. This sounds a lot like a thread from yesterday.

According to your girlfriend, that TV was a gift. And it is therefore hers.

Guys - note that this was his very first post. This guy is trying to create a counter-thread to his girlfriend.

Here's the original, by the way:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.319176-Poll-To-Give-or-Not-to-Give-That-is-the-Question?page=1

THANKS YOU!! I woke up this morning to this and yes I have been a long time user and lover of all things Escapist. His story of how "events went down" are "kinda untrue" to say the least to thanks for using your super powers to see this and help out.

AdmiralMemo

LoadingReadyRunner
Legacy
Dec 15, 2008
If it was a Christmas gift to her, she keeps it. If it was not a gift, you keep it.

Also, don't be putting your hands on her if she doesn't like it.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
Considering that she managed to present her side of the story without whining, trying to drag your name through the mud or appealing to the frustrated misogynist nerd crowd for help, I'm going to go out on a limb and say she's right and you're lying out of your arse.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Horuta said:
Princess Rose said:
whateversclever said:

Guys - note that this was his very first post. This guy is trying to create a counter-thread to his girlfriend.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.319176-Poll-To-Give-or-Not-to-Give-That-is-the-Question?page=1

THANKS YOU!! I woke up this morning to this and yes I have been a long time user and lover of all things Escapist. His story of how "events went down" are "kinda untrue" to say the least to thanks for using your super powers to see this and help out.
^^ No problem. Glad to help a sister out.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Princess Rose said:
whateversclever said:

But what if she is lying?

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
whateversclever said:
Ahem if it was mutually considered to be a gift, ie a transfer of property from one person to another without full valuable consideration, without writing to prove the gift was onerous then it will most likely be considered outright. A gift delivered and accepted cannot be revoked.

If it was not a gift then consult a lawyer for mediation.

If you both cant agree that it was/wasnt a gift and cannot afford a lawyer for mediation I would suggest counseling or get property transfers in writing with all of the details in the future.

Just because you pay for someone living with you doesn't legally mean anything in a situation such as this, if it involves animals then whoever is acknowledged as the owner, either registrar or the person who filled out the Owner field of a form from a vet, gets the animal, if it involves kids consult lawyer, and as a last note for the future sort out information without diluting it with "I do all of this so i must be entitled to something without much detail surrounding that something" it is distracting and unless work hours and income actually pertains to the thing in question dont mention it.

Now kindly sort this out in an adult manner, any abuse from either side must be reported, and be civil.

Thank you, goodnight, I'll be here all weekend.

Princess Rose

Jul 10, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
But what if she is lying?
She's been around since Feb 11, 2011.

He joined to create this thread.

She attempted to present both sides fairly.

He was a whiny asshat.

I'll trust her over him.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
It all comes down to who bought it and for what purpose. If YOU purchased the TV for YOU and your girlfriend to enjoy (and not a gift to her), then the TV is rightfully yours.

If you kept the receipt or got a warranty, that further helps your case to keep the TV.

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
Just take the TV. Do you really think her lazy ass is going to get up and do anything about it? Even if she does, these things are a nightmare to litigate and it will probably get thrown out of court. Once she learns that getting the TV back will take more than 5 minutes she will give up.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Oh how nice, we now have our own relationship drama for this lovely weekend.

Seriously, you know what? I already told your girlfriend to give it back. Anyway I wouldn't let my influence be judged by some anonymus userbase from a gaming forum.
I always wonder why people put so much trust in the Escapists' consulting capabilities.

All is fair in love and war so take everything, she is doing the same - so just take everything, even her soul if you have to and then burn her house down, with combustible lemons. For Science!