Poll: To the anime haters

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Tanner The Monotone said:
axlryder said:
My favorite style is unfortunately used in things like Queens Blade.

Speaking of perverted things, have you noticed how newer anime has been getting more and more sexual?
yes, it depresses me deeply. That's not to say I don't think there's a place for stuff like that in anime, or that anime hasn't always been fairly sexual, but when the quality of content gets sacrificed for T&A, it makes me die a little inside. That said, I remember flipping through a Queen's Blade artbook once. The artist wasn't very refined, but he had a pretty distinctive style and was pretty good.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
axlryder said:
Tanner The Monotone said:
axlryder said:
My favorite style is unfortunately used in things like Queens Blade.

Speaking of perverted things, have you noticed how newer anime has been getting more and more sexual?
yes, it depresses me deeply. That's not to say I don't think there's a place for stuff like that in anime, or that anime hasn't always been fairly sexual, but when the quality of content gets sacrificed for T&A, it makes me die a little inside. That said, I remember flipping through a Queen's Blade artbook once. The artist wasn't very refined, but he had a pretty distinctive style and was pretty good.
Being reeeeeeeeeally off topic here. How about making a thread of all the anime or western animation that suffers from the You ALL Look Familiar?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouALLLookFamiliar

Better yet, we could go ahead and finally count what group abuses this effect to death instead of just making characters with very distinct facial uniqueness like this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CastOfSnowflakes

You may think that TvTropes may already have done the jobs for us but for the sake of fairness lets just let the people themselves do it without actually announcing that page existance. Lets see how they handle it by just thinking about it rather than just lazily looking in a page that flat out tells them what examples suffer from this.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
I voted Berserk but I also really like the Gantz and Miyazaki style. I think the latter two styles I mentioned seem cleaner and more modern while Berserk looks like it's a more organic piece of art. I'm not a regular anime watcher, once in a blue moon I'll binge on a series.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
DioWallachia said:
ex275w said:
Milo Minderbender from Catch 22, Lucifer from the Sandman and Lucifer comics, Lord Vetinari from the Discworld novels, and Akio from Revolutionary Girl Utena are better Magnificent Bastards than Light or Lelouch, at least they don't go down like punks when they are beaten.

Also OP put Jojo's and Mononoke, no one with eyes would tell you they look the same.
Going down like punk certainly seems like disqualification for the Magnificent Bastard title. However, why is the series cliche? to me it seems that it takes the shonen tropes and deconstruct them into twisted versions.

Besides, its not like Western animation OR literature is beneath of using cliches to death.

Its more than thats what some people would consider the Bishies fighting each other a cliché. (Final Fantasy VII being the biggest example) Code Geass and Death Note loves its bishies.

Death Note was pretty fresh, so I did not find it clichéd.

I couldn't stand more than 3/4 episodes of Code Geass, especially since it had the same plot as Death Note (Super genius teen gets unique power which allows him to seize power and change the world and another teen who happens to be his main obstacle joins with him temporarily) only with more ANIME elements: GIANT ROBOTS, GIANT BOOBS, HIGH SCHOOL, ROMANTIC PLOT LINES, OVER THE TOP ACTION, BISHIES. I kind of lumped them together since they have the same plot.

Western Literature and animation (especially western animation) has its clichés of course. Also the Heroes Journey is more about plot structure and how ancient cultures wrote stories with similar elements. Your image has its terms so vague I bet I could put Silence of the Lambs and get at least 14 elements.

Anime is guilty of the same, so it doesn't exactly get a pass in that area and saying other mediums do it isn't a valid defense.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
ex275w said:
mega48man said:
ex275w said:
mega48man said:
ex275w said:
mega48man said:
MY ARGUMENT IS GOD
MY ARGUMENT IS ALLAH
^LOL
Oh SNIP
OH I KNOW YOU DIDN'T JUST SNIP ME
OH SNIP YES HIS SNAP ASS JUST DID
you bring up excellent points, i hadn't even realized the decline of Japanese games was from the repetition of the great things from the past that were so awesome. you know, some kid on facebook was trying to defend Naruto in a naruto vs. DBZ debate, i f**kin destroyed him with the nostalgic factor.

i'm glad you brought up assassin's creed! now, the first game is based on fact; there actually was an order of assassin's in Iran in 1092 AD. Hasan-i Sabbah, a Nazri Islamic with a good deal of influence around the middle east, establish the Hashshashin, which is actually where the word assassin comes from (if you thought it was ninjas then you're 400 years off). Hasan used the Hashshashin, from what few records we have today, to eleminate his enemies and rivals so he could establish more power. however, the Nizari Islam faith, a form of Shia islam, believes in Social justice, Pluralism, and equality. with this, it's easy to assume the Hashshashin were a vigilante orginization destined to stop tyranny, and given that the 3rd crusade (TEMPLARS) were one of their foes, i wouldn't doubt it.

now given that, i hope you use it the next time you're on jeopardy, you're still right in that american games can feel it was made by a person with their own vision, but all games get something from somewhere. Halo? alien, the flood reminds me of alien. Call of duty? WW2. Gears of war? .......well shit

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
SckizoBoy said:
mega48man said:
just googled Hourou Musuko, surprisingly looks interesting based off what you said.
and a big LOL, boku no pico is a hentai about...um...think loli but with all boys. it's used on 4chan to haze newcomers, you can see how it became viral in the underground here (SFW): http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/boku-no-pico
Even though I'm at work... don't think I'll go there. And I'll watch the series even less.

If i'm hearing word from the people who actually watch anime that anime is dying, it makes me want to buy a dildo sword, find my otaku ex-gf, and smack her in the face with it repeatedly while singing zippity do dah.
Have you considered seeing a therapist... and 'dildo sword' is wrong on many levels but as a piece of phallic imagery... yeah...

Still, I wouldn't say anime is dying per se, it's just that serious/innovative/thought provoking series are being marginalised/swamped by the expanding morass of the product of trope/meme factories. *le sigh* Anime output is growing, it's just that the output of good anime isn't growing with it... I will leave to rage (& eat).

Good day!
ooooh i see what you mean. corporations are trying to marketize which is destroying the industry. that happens to every media of entertainment i guess.

as for the dildo sword, go look up saints row the 3rd or watch a jim sterling episode. it's not for the phallic symbol, it so that when someone asks them "oh geez! what happened to you!?" then they can answer "i got smacked in the face with a giant dildo"

f***in pricless

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
DioWallachia said:
mega48man said:
***** I JUST SNIPPED DIS SHIT
OH SHIT. I should have tell you that Jojo's doesnt have a proper anime other than the OVA you just saw. Kinda weird that a manga series THAT popular and old (it is STILL GOING ON TODAY) along HNK didnt have a proper adaptation.........Actually its not that difficult to understand anyway, its a BIZZARRE adventure after all. This will be the Japanese equivalent of the movie "Naked Lunch".

---

Now, for the WHY i used the Warhammer analogy with Halo is because the same question i did before: "Is it really the fault of (insert game/movie/show/book) for creating that concept that will be later added used to death by anyone else that isnt nearly as talented to pull it off correctly?"

With all the Space Marine bullshit going around in games, by the time a real adaptation of Warhammer 40K comes to gaming, people wont say this:

"Oh, Warhammer 40K, finally the franchise that has spawned the concept of Space Marine will have a place in the gaming world. Perhaps i can understand what is so popular about this franchise that spawned countless of stand alone stories"

Instead they will say this:

"AAH FUCK, ANOTHER space marine bullshit?? Worse of all, its the original piece of crap that started all this nonsense. And i dont want any of you fanboys to tell me that because it is the original it means its better, if that were true then the people "inspired" by this would have made the same thing but with expanded attributes instead of the shallow crap i see people play everyday. I am not going to bother paying for this thing"

Even if technically it isnt the fault of W40K for everyone else stupidity of trying to cash in on its concept. In fact, this sort of like hearing this words when someone describes a horror movie of today:
"There is this AWESOME movie that starts with 5 people, 1 nerd, 1 slut, 1 virgin, 1 funny stoner and 1 asshole that go to a cabin in the woods andWAIT, where are you going? i havent finish describing!! HEY, COME BACK!!"
you know what? someone else on this same thread has said something very similar. anime is dying because it's beating the dead horse now, it's trying to copy what once succeeded greatly (sailor moon, DBZ, etc) and just keep doing it over and over and over again. LUCKILY, things like DBZ and Halo CE have the magnificent Nostalgic factor behind them, which may also be the downfall for their genres. people will go "hell yeah halo! the original sci-fi shooter!" or at least i hope they don't because it isn't, anyway,

so yeah, better 90's horror movie analogy. i grew up in the 90's and i KNOW just how much that cliche has been done to death. whenever i don't see that group line up in a horror movie, i get REAL FUCKIN SCARED because i don't know what else to expect.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
mega48man said:
BOOM!! SNIP SHOT!!
Could it be that Japan NEEDS to milk their franchises and make more cliche stories to make up for the fact that the tsunami fucked everything up to the point that they lost too munch to take a risk on something new?

As a customer, i say that if its just the same crap then i will stick with what i already have.

As a human, i will say to them that if that is the case then just stop making those things and let me send you money for you to recover, you dont spend a single cent on making garbare and you still get money.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Second time posting in this thread but I just noticed you used the original Hellsing visuals, that was quite the butchering of a manga, the show was awful, the remake Hellsing: Ultimate was FAR better in every way, especially looks/style.

somonels

Oct 12, 2010
This topic shows the author's lack of understanding of graphical styles and reasons why some people do not like anime.

Of the very shallow named choices the worst style choices are Hellsing, followed By Gantz. Hellsing's style is so underdeveloped that it removes atmosphere from the series and could not be considered a style. Gantz's has some distinctions and fits the atmosphere better.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
ex275w said:
DioWallachia said:
ex275w said:
Milo Minderbender from Catch 22, Lucifer from the Sandman and Lucifer comics, Lord Vetinari from the Discworld novels, and Akio from Revolutionary Girl Utena are better Magnificent Bastards than Light or Lelouch, at least they don't go down like punks when they are beaten.

Also OP put Jojo's and Mononoke, no one with eyes would tell you they look the same.
Going down like punk certainly seems like disqualification for the Magnificent Bastard title. However, why is the series cliche? to me it seems that it takes the shonen tropes and deconstruct them into twisted versions.

Besides, its not like Western animation OR literature is beneath of using cliches to death.

Its more than thats what some people would consider the Bishies fighting each other a cliché. (Final Fantasy VII being the biggest example) Code Geass and Death Note loves its bishies.

Death Note was pretty fresh, so I did not find it clichéd.

I couldn't stand more than 3/4 episodes of Code Geass, especially since it had the same plot as Death Note (Super genius teen gets unique power which allows him to seize power and change the world and another teen who happens to be his main obstacle joins with him temporarily) only with more ANIME elements: GIANT ROBOTS, GIANT BOOBS, HIGH SCHOOL, ROMANTIC PLOT LINES, OVER THE TOP ACTION, BISHIES. I kind of lumped them together since they have the same plot.

Western Literature and animation (especially western animation) has its clichés of course. Also the Heroes Journey is more about plot structure and how ancient cultures wrote stories with similar elements. Your image has its terms so vague I bet I could put Silence of the Lambs and get at least 14 elements.

Anime is guilty of the same, so it doesn't exactly get a pass in that area and saying other mediums do it isn't a valid defense.
I'm not really a Code Geass fan, or really a Death Note fan...

But saying they have the same plot is like saying Silence of the Lambs and The Shawshank Redemption have the same plot. One is the moral of "The best of intentions is pointless in the worst of minds" while the other is "The ends justify the means".
The plot is of course different, but the structure of the two shows is very similar, kind of like a different Heroes Journey. People tend to have different criteria for what qualifies as two series being the "same"(I was being unintentionally hyperbolic in this point) for some people like me the structure, characters and tropes are what makes two shows the "same." You seem to think the moral is what makes the shows fundamentally different, which is a perfectly respectable position.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
DioWallachia said:
mega48man said:
BOOM!! SNIP SHOT!!
Could it be that Japan NEEDS to milk their franchises and make more cliche stories to make up for the fact that the tsunami fucked everything up to the point that they lost too munch to take a risk on something new?

As a customer, i say that if its just the same crap then i will stick with what i already have.

As a human, i will say to them that if that is the case then just stop making those things and let me send you money for you to recover, you dont spend a single cent on making garbare and you still get money.
wellllll.......i'm not sure if you entirely understand the situation. yes, the tsunami and nuclear fallout was really bad, but that doesn't effect the entertainment industry. Ideas and literature are in the mind, not tangible objects that can be destroyed by physical harm.

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Am I the only one who find it disturbing that there is a word for people who don't like anime: "anime-haters", as if we were the minority who need to explain ourselves rather than the other way around.

I mean, I like the color red. But it's not like im going to call everyone who doesn't prefer the color red "red-haters".

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
mega48man said:
DioWallachia said:
mega48man said:
BOOM!! SNIP SHOT!!

wellllll.......i'm not sure if you entirely understand the situation. yes, the tsunami and nuclear fallout was really bad, but that doesn't effect the entertainment industry. Ideas and literature are in the mind, not tangible objects that can be destroyed by physical harm.
Except that ideas reside in the flesh and the flesh is kite suceptible to radiation, hunger, falling debris and i should probably stop. But just to be sure, i wanna know what company is pulling the "we are in a crisis so dont expect us to actually spend money on games/anime"

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Cowboy bebop and Samurai Champloo are the same style. Different Genre's but very similar animation styles.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
I like good motion pictures, whether it is live action or animated, the important thing is that it is good. it being animated doesn't automatically get it any points in positive or negative. I'll admits some things - in theory - work better in anime, or work better in live action. Some things are only even POSSIBLE let alone practical in one rather than the other.

Overall, the distinction is trivial. 95-99% of what applies to live-action film applies to animated film, just with varying practicality.

I like Akira not because it is anime, but because it is stupendously good. I don't know if many of the shots and sequences could possibly have any live-action equivalent and some things could't be done without very abstract film making that would defeat the purpose of

But to me, Akira is a great movie, not just a great anime.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
anthony87 said:
I like Highschool of the Dead style.......
Massive tits and zombies FTW! ^_^
What this guy said

I love studio Ghibli but their art style is rather unappealing to me sometimes.