Poll: To the anime haters

jizzytissue

Feb 16, 2012
none of the pic look like they use a different style it's the same god dammit.
i guess i'm uneasy about anime one minute a guy is talking really fast like he just took loads of speed. AND THEN TENTACLE GRAPE !!!!

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
At risk of sounding ultra elitist. You can't really put a name on these styles, but I understand what you're trying to do OP. People generalize anime, and they do need to see that not all titles are the same. There is cute, serious, and in-between.

Miyazaki style
Miyazaki calls his style a part of the superflat movement which he defines as anti-sexist; as he thinks "moe style" is sexist, I put that in quotes because moe came from 2channels naming what they thought was both cute and beautiful. They don't all have to have big eyes and be short.

Berserk style
Gantz style
Hellsing style
These are all seinen demographic as you said.
Cowboy Bebop style
Samurai Champloo style
Can't put any name on these for what I know. Both of these were directed by Watanabe, but had different designers..

Tanner The Monotone said:
axlryder said:
My favorite style is unfortunately used in things like Queens Blade.

Speaking of perverted things, have you noticed how newer anime has been getting more and more sexual?
Having been watching anime for 7-8 years now, I can tell you that I agree with this sentiment.

To some extent it's good because it will allow directors to be more free with use of sex in drama, to me this allows for a realistic portrayal of relationships. On the other hand you might dislike the use of fanservice for the sake of fanservice.

That being said, I watch every type of anime (ok well maybe not sports anime) and I enjoy both "deep" shows and shows based around fanservice. I actually enjoy Queen's Blade very much in its "tongue-in-cheek" fantasy setting.

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
My favorite style is the sharp looking ghost in the shell one perfect for sci-fi. I also love interesting art styles, anime like Mononoke and Kemonozume get points for that.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
I have watched literally one anime ever: Tales of Earthsea or some such b/c my girlfriend likes anime. So I guess Miyazaki, just because the paintery backgrounds looked nice.

May 14, 2010
I guess my personal perception of anime is that it's a whole other culture than mine. Being scandinavian, i find it hard enough to sympathize with american videos.

I guess it's mainly a tribalistic thing, but i i just get an instant chemical reaction when at see anime that makes my blood boil. I guess i just think it's a bit too childish.

EDIT: Except for dragonball. That show was great, huh?

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
DioWallachia said:
mega48man said:
DioWallachia said:
mega48man said:
BOOM!! SNIP SHOT!!
Could it be that Japan NEEDS to milk their franchises and make more cliche stories to make up for the fact that the tsunami fucked everything up to the point that they lost too munch to take a risk on something new?

As a customer, i say that if its just the same crap then i will stick with what i already have.

As a human, i will say to them that if that is the case then just stop making those things and let me send you money for you to recover, you dont spend a single cent on making garbare and you still get money.
wellllll.......i'm not sure if you entirely understand the situation. yes, the tsunami and nuclear fallout was really bad, but that doesn't effect the entertainment industry. Ideas and literature are in the mind, not tangible objects that can be destroyed by physical harm.
Except that ideas reside in the flesh and the flesh is kite suceptible to radiation, hunger, falling debris and i should probably stop. But just to be sure, i wanna know what company is pulling the "we are in a crisis so dont expect us to actually spend money on games/anime"

sorry it took so much to catch up, i've been on a hiatus of a sort.

wtf? no! that's not how literature works dude. look at william shakespeare, he's been dead for hundreds of years and even to this day not only do we know about him and read his works, but his styles and techniques and even stories have used countless times in modern literature.

to say that the tsunami wiped out a bunch of copies of a good anime, one so good it that should be a model for other anime writers, and now good anime can't exist is radically insane. it still exists on the internet and in the mind of the original creator (because i doubt he or she was anywhere near a nuclear power plant during the crisis).

did you ever watch inception? go watch it again, or just the first half of the movie. ideas are not objects that can be destroyed, they are thoughts that can be conveyed to one another. literature is an idea in every sense of the definition because while it may be written down or animated or constructed out of material, it may appear as a garbage to someone who doesn't not understand how literature works.

as for the "we are in a crisis so dont expect us to actually spend money on games/anime" excuse; unless it's Hiyato Miyazaki, studios get money from producers and that's the money they use to make their shows/mangas/what have you. Because producers want the best out their studios so their work can receive media and fan acclaim, they put more money into their studios so their studio make better work. the nuclear power plant crisis, especially by now, shouldn't have too great effect on the studio's performance.

i think you have a lot to learn in school young sir.

by the way, i don't watch anime so don't think i'm defending it, i'm merely correcting you.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
mega48man said:
I remind you that this is the same world where the poem of Gilgamesh that has been around for thousands of years can be acceded more easily than a video game or an Anime from 15 years ago.

Anime and games got the worst of "Its for kids, therefore it doesn't deserve a place to be safe guarded" so its not hard to think that good thing would have been lost LONG before something as terrible as a natural disaster happens. And lets not even divulge on the fact that most people ditched physical copies of books and other mediums for the digital variant, to the point that if the light go off or the servers become broken/obsolete then there is nothing they could do.

And who could forget the fact that since most of the servers of the Internet belong to United States and the new laws that are SOPA clones are still trying to reconfigure the Internet and enforce the censorship of his own nation, i would say that the idea of Japan not giving a crap anymore about the quality of his products after a catastrophe seems SANE in comparison.

How would you feel if i tell you that Ancient Greece could have an Industrial Revolution if they had focused on Heron's research on steam engine?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria
Of course that ideas cant be destroyed but you bet your ass that its going to take forever to resurface.

Dont expect that the school will teach you anything good by the way, much less in the other side of the planet where i am.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
My favourite looking anime so far is definitely 5 Centimeters Per Second. Almost every still of it looks like a gorgeous painting:

It's such a bittersweet story, and so damn beautiful...
wow, just wow. A lot of detail in those pictures

Serge A. Storms

Oct 7, 2009
The toughest part of this thread is that you're probably not going to find a lot of genuine anime haters that watch the shit out of anime, know or would want to know what all the different art styles are, and develop an opinion on what makes anime more tolerable for them. Personally I've liked some anime but the stuff I didn't like had absolutely nothing to do with the visuals and everything to do with the god-awful cliches, weak characters and poor storytelling.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
DioWallachia said:
mega48man said:
I remind you that this is the same world where the poem of Gilgamesh that has been around for thousands of years can be acceded more easily than a video game or an Anime from 15 years ago.

Anime and games got the worst of "Its for kids, therefore it doesn't deserve a place to be safe guarded" so its not hard to think that good thing would have been lost LONG before something as terrible as a natural disaster happens. And lets not even divulge on the fact that most people ditched physical copies of books and other mediums for the digital variant, to the point that if the light go off or the servers become broken/obsolete then there is nothing they could do.

And who could forget the fact that since most of the servers of the Internet belong to United States and the new laws that are SOPA clones are still trying to reconfigure the Internet and enforce the censorship of his own nation, i would say that the idea of Japan not giving a crap anymore about the quality of his products after a catastrophe seems SANE in comparison.

How would you feel if i tell you that Ancient Greece could have an Industrial Revolution if they had focused on Heron's research on steam engine?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_of_Alexandria
Of course that ideas cant be destroyed but you bet your ass that its going to take forever to resurface.

Dont expect that the school will teach you anything good by the way, much less in the other side of the planet where i am.
tell you what; show me some proof, evidence, or a news article showing that something like that happened to some studios's work, and i'll believe you.

but still if you think a studio keeps all of it's assets and content, and i mean ALL of it (including storyboards, sketches, rough animation, voice acting recordings, final product, promotional merchandise, licenses to copyrights, etc) in one specific place that's prone to natural disasters, then have i got some news for you sir; you'd make for a terrible CEO.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
mega48man said:
Because apparently it wasnt very obvious, i said from the veeeeeeeery beginning that it may be possible for such act to happen and it would be nice to see some evidence to this HYPOTHESIS. After all, that is why i used the SOPA Censorship analogy. If someone got the bright idea of fucking the most powerful tool that humanity has ever created for his own ends (as fucked up they may be) then something as simple (in their eyes) as cartoon and videogames may end up in the trash.

No need to call me a terrible CEO just for suggesting something like that. Exploring every single permutation of the disease know as Human Stupidity may save lives.......and ideas, its a pragmatic approach.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
DioWallachia said:
mega48man said:
Because apparently it wasnt very obvious, i said from the veeeeeeeery beginning that it may be possible for such act to happen and it would be nice to see some evidence to this HYPOTHESIS. After all, that is why i used the SOPA Censorship analogy. If someone got the bright idea of fucking the most powerful tool that humanity has ever created for his own ends (as fucked up they may be) then something as simple (in their eyes) as cartoon and videogames may end up in the trash.

No need to call me a terrible CEO just for suggesting something like that. Exploring every single permutation of the disease know as Human Stupidity may save lives.......and ideas, its a pragmatic approach.
If a developer from a studio did in fact fall under the spell of human stupidity and put all their eggs in one basket next to a fault line, i doubt that he/she was smart enough to make a noteworthy product anyways. so in fact, a natural disaster erasing the last copies of some shitty cut n' paste anime would be a good thing.

SOPA has nothing to do with this because
1) SOPA is dead.
2) internet piracy has nothing to do with studio development. you think Pixar keeps all their storyboards on tumblr or photobucket? no, they have physical folders. they also have a pet monkey. SOPA would have protected finished products from piracy, but the studios have the master copy, which is the topic of this discussion.
3) if by mentioning how SOPA would of handicapped the consumers ability to view the developers products, you're now officially off topic. this started with how a natural disaster could wipe out all records of a piece of entertainment (and by piece i mean movie, series, shorts, etc.), not why we all hate SOPA

you know, it's ironic. when you say "someone" in "If someone got the bright idea of fucking the most powerful tool that humanity has ever created for his own ends (as fucked up they may be) then something as simple (in their eyes) as cartoon and videogames may end up in the trash." that someone was the production companies like FOX, Warner Bros, Universal, etc, who want to keep their merchandise out of the trash.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
mega48man said:
If a developer from a studio did in fact fall under the spell of human stupidity and put all their eggs in one basket next to a fault line, i doubt that he/she was smart enough to make a noteworthy product anyways. so in fact, a natural disaster erasing the last copies of some shitty cut n' paste anime would be a good thing.

1) SOPA is dead.
2) internet piracy has nothing to do with studio development. you think Pixar keeps all their storyboards on tumblr or photobucket? no, they have physical folders. they also have a pet monkey. SOPA would have protected finished products from piracy, but the studios have the master copy, which is the topic of this discussion.
3) if by mentioning how SOPA would of handicapped the consumers ability to view the developers products, you're now officially off topic. this started with how a natural disaster could wipe out all records of a piece of entertainment (and by piece i mean movie, series, shorts, etc.), not why we all hate SOPA

you know, it's ironic. when you say "someone" in "If someone got the bright idea of fucking the most powerful tool that humanity has ever created for his own ends (as fucked up they may be) then something as simple (in their eyes) as cartoon and videogames may end up in the trash." that someone was the production companies like FOX, Warner Bros, Universal, etc, who want to keep their merchandise out of the trash.
Aaaaaaaaand still doesnt get it

"i doubt that he/she was smart enough to make a noteworthy product anyways"
Well, there was people not smart enough to realize that the original Star Wars film was going to catch on (not even James Earl Jones, Darth Vader voice). So even if they did place the....eggs in a basket, it may still be worth saving even if they dont realize how wrong they are.

1) SOPA has another name now, it will never stop changing
3) the SOPA thing i was talking is my way to say "Humanity just jumped the shark and at this point every act of stupidity seems perfectly logical" that is why i comment on the fact that they may get rid of copies anyway.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
It's ironic really. In an attempt to show anime that don't have that "stereotypical wide eye" look, you ended up picking shows that look vaguely the same, but in another way.

Also poll results are sadly about what I expected.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
DioWallachia said:
mega48man said:

1) SOPA is dead.

Aaaaaaaaand still doesnt get it

"i doubt that he/she was smart enough to make a noteworthy product anyways"
Well, there was people not smart enough to realize that the original Star Wars film was going to catch on (not even James Earl Jones, Darth Vader voice). So even if they did place the....eggs in a basket, it may still be worth saving even if they dont realize how wrong they are.

1) SOPA has another name now, it will never stop changing
3) the SOPA thing i was talking is my way to say "Humanity just jumped the shark and at this point every act of stupidity seems perfectly logical" that is why i comment on the fact that they may get rid of copies anyway.
all right, now i get it. what you're saying is that there may be the occasional diamond in the rough that's really friggin good but is made by a team that doesn't have the resources to properly back it up should it get ruined in an accident. makes sense and point taken. (good star wars analogy, but it had a production studio behind it, maybe independent studios would be more at risk)

yeah, it's CISPA now. at least ACTA's being shot down by europe, that's good. but me, i think it's the Templars.

and hopefully they won't get rid of copies, i doubt they will. i know you're saying that we've become pretty stupid lately, it's embarrassing, but the people who handle that kind of thing are still smart because to screw with that would be to screw with their money, and they like their money. like, if I were in charge of that, i wouldn't produce only CD's from a master copy of an album and only sell it to one outlet, that's market suicide. instead, i'd sell it on iTunes, record companies, virgin records, amazon, etc. (and on iTunes, they have copies of everything on their own server, so there's a copy right there). all that stuff, gotta market it right.

but i totally get what you mean now.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
mega48man said:
You know? up there instead of the Star Wars example, i was about to use the movie "Nosferatu", a movie that was made around some of the legal issues to obtain Bram Stoker's Dracula rights for a movie. They couldnt, so they made several changes, specially on the main character of Dracula into what later will become know as Count Orlok, who plays a more tragic kind of vampire rather than the sweet talking nobleman of wealth and taste that was his original version (the vulnerability to Sunlight came from this movie)

This example would also tie in with the piracy issue i brought up. In that the relatives of Bram sued Nosferatu production and won, the movie was never released and requested for ALL the copies to be destroyed. It was only thanks to piracy that such work was keept alive.

Apr 28, 2008
Bara_no_Hime said:

Slayers?
THAT'S what that anime's called! Finally I got the name!

Sorry for the out-of-the-blue quote, it's just that I remember seeing a couple episodes of that anime a long, long time ago and I've been racking my brain for the past 10 years or so trying to remember the name.

Sweet, now I'm happy :D

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Irridium said:
THAT'S what that anime's called! Finally I got the name!
Sorry for the out-of-the-blue quote, it's just that I remember seeing a couple episodes of that anime a long, long time ago and I've been racking my brain for the past 10 years or so trying to remember the name.

Sweet, now I'm happy :D
No problem. ^^ And yeah, it was a little weird to see a dead thread from forever ago suddenly return.

Anyway, yeah. Season 1 is called "Slayers"
Season 2 is called "Slayers Next"
Season 3 is called "Slayers Try" (it's a pun - tri, like three, but also effort (the other meaning of try) is a major theme that season)

They recently released seasons 4 and 5 (about 10 years after).

Anyway, great show. I own all 5 seasons.