Poll: Toronto School Bans Hard Balls - Do You Agree?

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Kids (and adults) running will sometimes fall and get hurt as well, or sprain their ankles, or somethign else.
Kids get hurt soemtimes, you can't wrap them up in bubble plast to keep them from minor injuries.
Big mother mentallity FTL

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
Just breeding a bunch of silly pussy-men and women who can't stand real life. Yeah, baseballs hurt. Live with it you soon to be neutered girly men.

Lord Honk

Mar 24, 2009
First they came for the hard balls,
and I didn?t speak up,
because I wasn?t playing with them.
Then they came for the climbing bars,
and I didn?t speak up,
because I wasn?t into climbing.
Then they came for the see-saws,
and I didn?t speak up,
because I was contempt with the sandbox.
Then they came for me,
and by that time there was no one
left to speak up for me.

by Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945 (yep, totally him, not paraphrasing or anything. His kindergarten years were harsh)

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Jonluw said:
There needs to be some joke about testicles in this thread, but I can't muster up the effort to make one.

No, I don't agree. It's stupid. Do I really need to make an argument to support that view?
Nah, fuck it, my head hurts.
If they were blue so the visually impaired could track them better, I'd have a pun or two.

OT: To quote my sister: if you don't get a few scraped knees and bruises from playing or tripping, you haven't had a childhood.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Leximodicon said:
Just breeding a bunch of silly pussy-men and women who can't stand real life. Yeah, baseballs hurt. Live with it you soon to be neutered girly men.
This tends to be my PoV on this sort of thing. That one part of a Simpsons episode encapsulated it. Where the ancient Incas were ruined by fussy mothers and when the Spanish came for them, they were too pussy to fight.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Of course I don't agree. I don't agree with the banning of anything. We can't just go around banning everything that's potentially "unsafe" or that we find unpleasant.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Mr. Eff said:
The ban apparently came into effect after a parent suffered a concussion.
It would seem parents are more at risk. Better to just keep them off the field while the kids play.
The principal of the school also says "kids were coming in complaining of injury, or being scared."
Soft balls made of foam are still allowed.
Like those balls are going to be any less intimidating. I will admit I took a kickball to the face one time, pitching for a kickball game. It stung like a mofo, but it didn't stop me from playing. If it was a soccer ball, I probably would have come out of that with a bloody nose, but I would have gotten right back on the horse and played. Why? Because I learned to dodge the ball. You take your punches and you learn from that.
So I ask you, Escapists: do you agree with the ban?
Not really. This is just one more case of overreactionary people overreacting with more interest in protecting their own ass than the children's. Kids are going to get hurt. I've seen more than my share of them getting into an accident, but within 5 minutes they shook it off. Better to just accept the inevitable and have the joy of being a parent tending to a booboo than to have a child grow up afraid of the world. If I ever have a kid, I want him/her ready to face the world. With the way other children are going to be, my kid will be ruling the world in no time.

pyrokin

May 13, 2011
I came here because I saw hard balls. (hehe)
On a serious note, this is a massive overreaction, it's an extreme unlikelihood that such a thing would happen again. This ban will probably get dropped soon anyways, so no need to fret. If it doesn't, well then, sad year for those kids I assume.

zulu.fox

Nov 20, 2011
My old school was somewhat ironic. They banned things like British Bulldogs (A kids non-contact playground game thing) but they expected us to play full contact Rugby union three times a week! And in the summer we played cricket (We had to wear cups when batting for obvious reasons!!)

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
My elementary school banned dodgeball because we wouldn't let girls play because they would get hurt. Teachers ordered us to let them play and when a girl got her glasses smacked off because she ran in the way of my friend throwing the ball at a boy who could play the game. She tried to be useful because most of the girls were standing way in the back giggling and dodging the balls that were rolling towards the back like they were doing something productive.

THEY RUINED MY FAVORITE GAME. I couldn't throw a basketball and I was only good at contact sports. Dodgeball wasn't a contact sport of course but my fast reflexes and ability to catch the ball made me the bast clutch player. I would stand closest to the line and take Agro while the better ball throwers would get the balls that missed me. If my entire team went out I just rolled balls back to the other team until I caught one. My teammate would stay in the back and once we got two or three more people back we would go back on the offensive....wow that's quite the strategy I came up with. Whatever team I was on always played around my ability.