Poll: Torrenting Games

tsolless

Jul 15, 2009
DarkRyter said:
It's annoying. Everytime I try to, it takes so long, I have to leave my computer on through the night and while I'm in class. Which take sup so much electricity the bills overtake the cost of buying the game in the first place.
What kind of computer and electricity are you running that having your computer on for less than a day takes up around $50 of electricity?

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
"If you have bought the game, but the disc has broken"

If you bought a car and it broke, is it legal to steal a new car that is the same model? No. Only legal case I've seen for torrenting games was with America's Army, where the game was [legally] free and one of the ways they distributed it was through torrents...

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
In my opinion cross platform and broken disc is fine. Obviously there are problems with that (E.g pricing) but if you've bought the rights to the media it seems a little extortionate to have to buy it again so you use it at your own convenience. Broken disc for reasons probably already stated.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Assassin Xaero said:

If you bought a car and it broke, is it legal to steal a new car that is the same model? No. Only legal case I've seen for torrenting games was with America's Army, where the game was [legally] free and one of the ways they distributed it was through torrents...
Your wrong, copyright laws state that you are allowed a back-up of the game as you purchase the rights to the media. Also in your case you use the term steal, nothing is stolen so technically the circumstances are somewhat if not completely different.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
thiosk said:
chstens said:
It's not never acceptable, really. But I just don't care.
so, its... acceptable?

Double negatives aside, I tend to use the Moses theorem. If a game is older than moses, and is no longer available even in the bargain bins, its not really a problem anymore.

Steam does a good job of circumventing this problem-- even evil genius is available via steam now.
That never wasn't supposed to be there.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
It's acceptable if you've already bought the game. The only games I've torrented are Grim Fandango, Sim City 4 and Phantasy Star Online. I own the discs of all of these, but they wouldn't run so I went for it.

InfernoJesus

Aug 18, 2009
Canadian law doesn't prohibit this. I pirate all my pc games. As long as it doesn't hurt the console market, I'm fine with it.

MontyGommo

Oct 21, 2008
Honestly, I torrent almost every PC game I get, with the exception of a number of Steam games.

I justify it by the fact that I buy a 360 game almost every fortnight, and we pay overinflated prices for the games here in Aus.

I have a collection of about 15 Steam games that I've randomly bought when drunk or bored, but the rest of my collection of PC games are all torrented, either by myself or friends.

I can say though, that if most PC games were $10-15AUD through Steam that I would purchase them. I think my main aversion to buying them from retailers is the sole fact that I feel i pay enough for 360 games, and I am mostly disappointed by the quality of most new PC titles.

There have been a number of PC games that I have torrented, enjoyed immensely and consequently gone out and purchased - orange box and PoP trilogy as an example. On a hugely ironic note, the torrented PoP worked properly, where as the store bought one did not.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
If I can't find the game anywhere ever I'll torrent it, or if I've lost the disk/don't feel like getting up to put it in the disc drive (yes I've done this).

I also might do it if the game has no demo and I want to try it. In these cases I play for 1 hour tops then force myself to either uninstall the game and delete the disc image or go out and buy it.

MontyGommo said:
I can say though, that if most PC games were $10-15AUD through Steam that I would purchase them. I think my main aversion to buying them from retailers is the sole fact that I feel i pay enough for 360 games, and I am mostly disappointed by the quality of most new PC titles.
Even in North America games are usually 50-60 dollars, why would they only be 10 or 15 dollars in Australila?

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
MontyGommo said:
Honestly, I torrent almost every PC game I get, with the exception of a number of Steam games.

I justify it by the fact that I buy a 360 game almost every fortnight, and we pay overinflated prices for the games here in Aus.
That is a lousy justification. It doesn't put bread on the table at a PC studio when you buy 360 games.
I am mostly disappointed by the quality of most new PC titles.
An excuse. If you really think something is bad, you won't waste your time playing it.

I understand the concept of using pirate copies for evaluating games, like a demo, but people doing that either buy a legit copy or drop the game at an early point - like AC10 above.

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
I think it's okay if you have already baught the game and it broke or something.

MontyGommo

Oct 21, 2008
Nutcase said:
That is a lousy justification. It doesn't put bread on the table at a PC studio when you buy 360 games.
Considering that most companies make the same game for both console and PC - it sorta does.
An excuse. If you really think something is bad, you won't waste your time playing it.

I understand the concept of using pirate copies for evaluating games, like a demo, but people doing that either buy a legit copy or drop the game at an early point - like AC10 above.
And who said that I play through the whole game? All i said was that I'm usually quite disappointed with most PC titles. In fact I'm hard pressed to name a PC game that I've finished lately - either bought or torrented.

If a service akin to Steam was used for digital distribution of games, I think piracy would drop a lot. I don't mind paying 10-15 for a less than great game, I do mind paying 50+.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Getting them as back-ups are good, sometimes it's good if there's no demo for the game, and you don't want to blow sixty dollars on coaster.

WlknCntrdiction

May 8, 2008
I'm lol'ing at the people who are saying "You should this or that" like you're going to somehow find out the IP address of people who do torrent games and give them to the police.
I won't lie, I've torrented quite a few games ever since I built my computer at the beginning of this year. Latest I downloaded was "Prototype", I'm glad though now that I didn't buy it cause I don't feel the prices that places are selling it for justify me buying it, plus the game is good, but it has gotten pretty repetitive now:/

This is one of those topics where you say what you want really, not so much cause it's the internet, but more because if you torrent games then you torrent games, anyone saying "oooo, you're bad for torrenting games" isn't going to suddenly make you see the error of your ways and join a convent, cause you(and I by extension)don't actually care.

TotallyFake

Jun 14, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:

Wow, totally not an overused and un-apt analogy there.

Piracy is not theft. It is infringement of copyright. You do not deprive the owner of the original. The worst you are doing is depriving them of the potential to sell it to you, something you also do by choosing not to buy the game.

I'm not gonna debate the legality/morality of torrenting, but it is NOT theft. Stop comparing them.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
Let's use Mother 3 as an example.
Mother 3 is the sequel to Mother 2, what westerners call Earthbound. Earthbound was a great game with a solid following. So when Mother 3 was announced, I was ecstatic.

But unfortunately because of some idiotic reason, it was not released outside of Japan. I think it was mushrooms being a reference to drugs or something else that wasn't kid friendly.

Now Hal Labs and Nintendo wanting to kick us while we were down, decided to put the star of the game, Lucas, into SSBB. Now I don't know about you but that seems a bit unfair. Advertising all over the world a character that the majority would not be able to play as outside of Brawl just seems a dick move. This happened with Roy in Melee as well, but that's probably justified in that his game is very very hard.

Now I have a ROM of Mother 3 and so far I'm 4 chapters in and loving it, denying us what I like to think of as one of the best JRPG's out there.

Honestly if there is no chance of a translation, you're downloading a replacement, or it just isn't sold anywhere, I'm okay with it, even if the law isn't.

Plus if the only place you can buy it is Ebay or Amazon, are the devs gaining or losing money anyway.