Poll: Totalbiscuit

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I like him, he seems honest and to the point. He puts it generally the way it is, no extra baggage.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
Wait, so something like:

Them: DRM is crap.

Me: You are so stupid, dude. DRM is like the asshole of the industry! I can't believe you're such a fanboy!
Exactly.

You'd just need to carry on that conversation/argument for ten to fifteen minutes; so as to not bore the ADD-ridden audience. Then, finish it off by saying, "Oh yeah *****? I'll show you just how stupid and wrong you are! 1 v 1 me in LoL, bro. Then we'll see who's right!"

I can see it now. Ten million hits in a week.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Fappy said:
hazabaza1 said:
Watch him occasionally. Eh. Sometimes better than others, but he's pretty much always got that air of PC Master Race shit and inflated self importance. Fairly whiny at times too, but he can be enjoyable enough.

EDIT: Also, the whole "CynicalBrit" thing. For one, ugh using nationality as an advertising point, fuck that.
And for being so "cynical" he's really not. Not in most of the videos I watch. ComplainingBrit maybe. OccasionallySomewhatAggrevatedBrit would work too.
Yeah, I'd say the thing that kind of puts me off to him is his sense of self-importance. Jim Sterling does it as part of a character. As far as I can tell Biscuit's not acting in his videos.
If you have met John Bain outside in real life he is totally different. He is easier to approach than Jesse Cox (seriously) I met him briefly during hes visit in Finland. He is totally different person, very nice and... How would I put it... "Dad like" controlled well mannered and extremely friendly. He looks like he doesn't want to be bothered but really he likes it more than Jesse (Even Jesse has said stated this on hes FAQs)
He is just one of those people who people are afraid to approach. But really when you get to meet him, he is really great. He will give signature, take a picture, have a chat. (If hes not busy - but he really is busy all the time)

Really try meeting him in non-work environment and you'll learn hes a mirror of hes TotalBicuit personality. He has even said it that he is different on internet compared to real life. Just watch some vids from Jenna Bain. He is totally different there.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
I like TB. I like his opinions on the worsening state of the video game industry, and I share his attitude towards the console market and the negative effect it's had on the PC side. He can be a bit vitriolic at times, but that doesn't bother me simply because I tend to agree with him. Aside from his listless acceptance of the only-getting-shittier "cut content and sell it as DLC" trend the industry is so obsessed with, it's hard for me to find a reason to argue with the guy.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
I don't follow him. Sometimes pals show me videos with him talking about video games in general, and I mostly agree with his opinion. So that's OK.
What I despise about him are his activities in the Starcraft eSports scene as a caster. I just can't stand his way of commentating matches. His lack of knowledge about the game keeps him from being analytical about it. You don't need to tell me what is happening on the screen all the f*cking time. I have eyes of my own - thank you. Sure, that's what even the most experienced commentators do, but they usually include somekind of analysis and advice for normal players to improve their playstile. Since there are usually two persons casting, I could stand him when he's with someone who actually knows Starcraft. But his voice can get really annoying at times (e.g. too loud). I always mute my stream when he's there.
Well, I've been going kinda offtopic with this, since it's more about his youtube videos. Sooo going back to my first point, I don't mind his work. But there's no reason for me to watch it.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I don't follow him, but I'm aware as to who he is, and I've seen some of his videos. He seems alright, but from reading these posts he seems like a PC guy, which isn't my thing. Also, I'm not into the whole "cynical" thing that people think is so cool.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
I love his stuff. While I can understand how and why people can find him obnoxious, I love his style, and it fits me perfectly.

Rockbottom87

Apr 28, 2011
I think he is an honest and respectable source of information about games, one which you know has not been bought by a developer.

When I read many of the criticisms leveled here in this thread I feel many people misunderstand many of his statements.
For example:
FOV issues. If it is a relatively simple thing to make, and it can help a small but significant group of people with their gaming related issues, why do so many developers refuse to implement it?

FPS dips to 60 or lower. This is not as much a problem he has with the fps, I'm sure he can still enjoy a game at 40 fps or something. It is just indicative of a very badly optimized game. If he gets 40 fps with a dual TITAN setup, what kind of performance will you get on your run of the mill laptop?

The 'not cynical' thing. That is a name that stuck from back in his WoW radio days. And why shoot yourself in the foot in terms of branding by removing that name?

Matthew Ryan

Feb 23, 2012
He's just an arrogant, bigoted, Yahtzee wannabee.
He's not funny or witty at all, And equally annoying as Tobuscus

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I like watching some of his videos and news reels from time to time but I don't like his "PCs are the end all to be all master race" talk since its blatant fanboyism anyway you look at it with our without facts you don't need to keep spouting the same shit over and over in order to gain that stroking ego dominance.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I like watching some of his videos and news reels from time to time but I don't like his "PCs are the end all to be all master race" talk since its blatant fanboyism anyway you look at it with our without facts you don't need to keep spouting the same shit over and over in order to gain that stroking ego dominance.
He always backs up his arguments on the superiority (or otherwise) of the PC with facts, or at least reasoned opinions. And yeah he does have all of the consoles as well as a PC, and speaks favourably about some console games where it's relevant.

Yes, his Youtube channel is mainly PC focussed, and long may it remain so. There's more than enough console-based Youtubers.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Crazy Zaul said:
A while ago, after someone criticized his video and most people defended him, he was just commenting on twitter how nice escapist users are are then Susan called him a whiney git or something lol.

I like most of his stuff but his over the top criticism of Bioshock Infinite was wrong. He was being an FPS snob and complaining about recoil and stuff.

Also I sometimes want to shout "NO! FOV gives YOU motion sickness. Its a very rare condition that just you have and no one else cares about!"
But apparently there are quite a few people that have it.
Yep, low FoV gives me motion sickness too, so I like having control over it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Vigormortis said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Wait, so something like:

Them: DRM is crap.

Me: You are so stupid, dude. DRM is like the asshole of the industry! I can't believe you're such a fanboy!
Exactly.

You'd just need to carry on that conversation/argument for ten to fifteen minutes; so as to not bore the ADD-ridden audience. Then, finish it off by saying, "Oh yeah *****? I'll show you just how stupid and wrong you are! 1 v 1 me in LoL, bro. Then we'll see who's right!"

I can see it now. Ten million hits in a week.
You had me at "1v1 me, bro." Those are the most powerful words in a gamer's vocabulary.

>.>

Monsterfurby

Mar 7, 2008
I enjoy his videos, but having seen him getting mad over his teammates just trying to have fun instead of winning at any cost in Guns of Icarus pretty much sealed my dislike for him as a person. Then again, I am still able to enjoy the entertainment he provides while also admitting that I'd probably never want to meet the guy in real life.

Pretty much like Tom Cruise.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
DanDeFool said:
Personally, I like TotalBiscuit. I think he's very well-spoken, intelligent, hard working, and genuinely wants to do right by his audience.

That said, he IS rather arrogant, particularly during the TGS Podcast. He frequently interrupts the other panelists, makes their points for them, and usually tries to get the last word in.
Personally I think it's just his way of directing the Podcast. If you've watched the Podcast when he's not there and Jesse's in charge, you see the antithesis of that. If you've ever led a group, or GM'd a game, or started a debate, then you have to be a little bit of a dick to maintain control. He's the guy that has to steer the conversations in a vague direction and not have the podcast get derailed. I've had plenty of GMs that didn't know how to handle someone who constantly tangents away from the game, and having someone who's take-charge enough to just flat out say 'you need to be quiet so we can move on' can be a godsend.

As for my opinion of him... TB and Jesse both play their role on Youtube well, but it's not really them. TB is much nicer than his YouTube persona, and Jesse is much smarter than his YouTube persona. Both have simply realized that you need to be a little obnoxious in order to get real attention on YouTube and make that ad money, so they dial their quirks up to 11 in order to get attention and reaction... and that's the currency of YouTube. TB already had the name CynicalBrit so just ran with it, top hat and all. Jesse loves his LPs, but he's not quite good enough at them to do ChuggaaConroy style walkthroughs. So he dumbs himself down and plays badly for the camera, pandering partially to the other half of LP moneyville where being stupid nets you attention. Jesse was a teacher, and not PE, so he's much smarter than he plays it... his phonetics on some words are the best kind of trolling (I know how to say 'arrhythmia' but not 'pugilist').

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zachary Amaranth said:
You had me at "1v1 me, bro." Those are the most powerful words in a gamer's vocabulary.

>.>
Second only to terms or phrases such as:

"True gamer"
"Hardcore gamer"
"Dirty Casual"
"Fanboy"
"Consoletard"
"PC Elitist"
and a host of other, far more derogatory terms that I dare not type as doing so would lead to immediate moderator wrath.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Alfador_VII said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
He always backs up his arguments on the superiority (or otherwise) of the PC with facts, or at least reasoned opinions. And yeah he does have all of the consoles as well as a PC, and speaks favourably about some console games where it's relevant.

Yes, his Youtube channel is mainly PC focussed, and long may it remain so. There's more than enough console-based Youtubers.
So basically he's the best week spoken guy on the planet and can do no wrong amarite?.

What I said above was my view of him and what I liked and didn't like which didn't mean I suddenly have on all PCs, I just happen to dislike the PC snobbery that comes with it.

cerebreturns

Jan 15, 2013
His "WTF is..." stuff is good, and some of his guides for LoL are as well. His actual reviews I find kinda meh. he doesn't have a strong enough opinion on things and I really feel like Cynical is misadvertising. Then again maybe I'm simply used to AngryJoe & Jimquisition.

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
He has grate taste in music. I was listening to him talk on the TGS podcast and he said he was going to see Iron Maiden that weekend or something. Form that point on I liked him.