Poll: TV vs PC: which couldn't you live without?

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
No laptops? Why does a laptop not count as a computer? I'm writing this on a laptop, which I also happen to use as my main PC, that just so happens to be the more powerful than most desktops I encounter.

gbemery

Jun 27, 2009
Hubilub said:
I'll just have my PC screen do everything my TV did.

So no TV
Well this pretty much sums it up. With the right attachments and hardware your pc obsoletes your tv anyway.

Lexxi64

Aug 10, 2010
I don't watch TV at all, but I need my TV to play on my PS2...
Oh, fuck it, I'd rather live without my TV.

Fellwarden

Sep 25, 2008
I haven't had TV in over 3 years, and before that when I had TV, I very rarely watched it.. This week I moved to a new place where I have TV though, but only a handful of channels that I rarely watch, so I still wont watch TV much..

So, I can live without TV.

SkoopMaster

Jul 4, 2010
Thank god for the internet. What will I do with out you.

Yeah I kind don't have a TV at the moment and everything I need is on the net.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Treblaine said:
VS

OK, you have to make the choice, either live with no computer in your home... or no TV in your house.

Rules:
-A TV is defined as a screen with a built in TV tuner, so a Tv tuner plugged into a PC plugged into a screen is not a TV even though it functions as one.
-HDTV is obviously a TV
-Portable TVs are also
-a screen that a console can connect to is still not a TV.

-A computer is something that runs Windows, Mac OS or Linux WITHOUT HAX so PS3 is excluded.
-though I'll won't consider a PS2 a PC if you use Linux on it, I consider it a hax.
-No laptops of course
-iPad is not a computer, it's a "media console"

-You can still watch TV and still use the a Computer, just you can't have devices in your house, so you can use a computer at work or at a library or watch a TV in a public place.

Remember:
-you need a PC for syncing phones, mp3 players,
-all computer use necessary for life (taxes, check-in) will have to be done at a library or at work
I can watch TV on my PC, even without it though, PC easily wins.

Byere

Jan 8, 2009
I chose other... simply because we have a TV, but I don't watch it. I'm on my computer much of my free time.

I'd like to make an objection to your OP images of TV vs Computer.
For those who don't know what it is, that 4chan picture makes it look like a happy, nice place. It sure as hell is NOT and personally, I prefer it that way. My other objection to that is that you seem to be saying (even if unintentionally) that all computer-only people only ever visit 4chan, which is completely wrong.

olicon

May 8, 2008
With my current life style, the PC would be much more important--mainly because of my work, rather than entertainment.

If I am promised to earn the same amount, yada yada (and not have to forsake what I've been doing for the past 15 years) then it's TV all the way, baby. I'm all for sitting around and talking with people face to face in front of a popcorn bowl over games any day of the week. The simple life will always beat this rat race in my opinion.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Byere said:
I chose other... simply because we have a TV, but I don't watch it. I'm on my computer much of my free time.

I'd like to make an objection to your OP images of TV vs Computer.
For those who don't know what it is, that 4chan picture makes it look like a happy, nice place. It sure as hell is NOT and personally, I prefer it that way. My other objection to that is that you seem to be saying (even if unintentionally) that all computer-only people only ever visit 4chan, which is completely wrong.
Well I also implied TV viewers are happy and drink cocktails (maybe that's why they are happy?) only I didn't as I just used a picture. A picture is a single 2D image catching a snapshot or montage that can NEVER hope to be a comprehensive representation of what it covers. On my history course we had a whole lesson devoted to how pictures can lie, deceive and misrepresent and how we should not interpreted narrow indication and broad implication.

I.e. if you see a photograph of a protest with one masked person throwing a brick at the police, it could make you think it was just a rioting mob... but that's your fault for reading too much into one picture. If a picture shows someone throwing a brick, it's just that. Propagandists MAY deliberately exploit that making out a mostly peaceful protest as a riot.

I chose 4Chan because I think it is what distinguishes the internet from Television; uncontrolled, uncensored, with no approval, virtually no rules open to be viewed by all and contributed by all, it is transient, live and dynamic.
I also chose that pic as all the others were NSFW or boring. In fact I liked the incongruity of it, depicting the it as happy go lucky when really it's a dangerous place.

Volafortis

Oct 7, 2009
No TV. I already never watch TV, even though I have it. I just watch what I want to watch online, so no TV is needed.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Computer. Internet is far larger than anything else, my computer can play DVD's, and if necesary I can plug my consoles into my desktop moniter. So, in the long run, I'm not actually missing anything at all with that. Plus I don't watch TV much anyways.