Poll: Ubisofts control over Assassin's Creed movie starts controversy.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
So for anyone who hasn't heard, Ubisofts Assassin's Creed will come to the big screen through Sony.

This has sparked some controversy. No, not where you think. Not from the fans expecting another Video Game Movie bomb, or from uptight worryworts who are afraid the movie will be insulting to certain cultures.

It's about the freedom Sony has given Ubisoft.

Simply put, Ubisoft has control over everything. Budget, principal cast, script, release date, etc. However, this kind of control is unprecedented and that's what sparked this.

One Hollywood talent agent told NYMag, "The whole Ubisoft / Sony deal is a waste of ink, paper and time. The level of control Sony gave up means, effectively, that Assassin?s Creed will never ? and I mean never ? get made.? Another incredulous insider said, ?As a director, even Steven Spielberg cannot get this kind of deal.? game informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/11/06/assassin-s-creed-film-sparks-hollywood-controversy.aspx]

After the bomb that was Prince of Persia, it's understandable that Ubisoft whats some control over one of the biggest franchises they have but is this too much?

What do you think? Keeping in mind that Ubisoft is a game developer and not a movie developer, should they have control over everything? Even down to the release date?

Personally, I think Ubisoft should have control over only key features. Script, cast, set design, ect. some of the other stuff should be left to the studios who have more experience with big screen adventures.

StorytellingIsAMust

Jun 24, 2011
I'm still thrown by the fact that this movie is existing. Personally, I don't think Ubisoft will make this movie bad by taking control; I think the idea of making a video game into a movie in the first place is a bad idea, but, hell, I'll probably watch it anyway.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I honestly doubt Ubisoft are anymore capable of making a decent movie than anyone else.

Good on 'em for trying to prevent it from sucking though.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
I say give it a shot.

I'm sick and tired of every single deal going to a handful of "Top Shelf" producers and directors. Fuck 'em, they can't get them all.

It is worth a try, for the sake of the industry, for the art as a whole. What if it's wildly awesome? A critical success and praised by gamers?

Never know.

The "talent agent" words it more like a threat. "This will never go anywhere." As if he alludes to a 'mafia-esque' setting in Hollywood, where it's 'one way' or 'no way'. In other words, they're going to get stonewalled at all critical junctures. That's what I think. I say, I'm tired of the way things are. Game studios have more than enough experience with directing live-action. Look at studios like Naughty Dog with Uncharted. They really pour great acting into an awesome game. Ubisoft Montreal does a wonderful job integrating solid acting (as much as is given) into Assassin's Creed.

I mean, of all the shit we see thrown onto "straight-to-DVD", and all the absolute trash we see on the silver screen... I think this project can be afforded a shot. For dignity's sake.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
Considering how many video game to movie adaptions that has sucked I can kinda understand why they did

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Put it this way, professional movie directors have a long record of screwing up game to film adaptations.. Ubisoft can create the script in such a way that it is compatible with the script.

It's their franchise, if it bombs it's their fault. Better than leaving it up to a third-party studio which has the potential to ruin a franchise's good name with a horrible adaptation. Ubisoft knows how to make good, cinematic game cutscenes. It knows what's so great about its own franchises, and hopefully it will be able to adapt into a feature-length movie. The only reason people are complaining is because film studios are out of a job for this one, and can't admit just how shitty and piss-poor their adaptations have been in recent years.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
I voted yes, because it's worth a shot yeah? I do have my doubts of course but it'll be an interesting experiment of sorts.

Blastinburn

Apr 13, 2011
MUST RESIST VOTING BANNANA!!!!

OT: Considering the quality of most video game movies, I doubt it will turn out much worse. Although the guys in Hollywood may be right that it will never see the light of day.

As a complete answer, I think they're taking too much control because, as you said, they aren't movie makers, but they should have allot of control.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
If you are going to make a movie based off someone else's work, they should have full control over what the movie turns out like. PoP was horrid for most who played the game (Except the hot chick in it), and I am pretty sure no-one wants an Assassin's Creed movie that turns out the same way. I just think Hollywood is upset it won't get to shit over another title.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
I say yes because jsut about every other video game movie has failed, i think a new approach needs to be taken, and who knows, this could be it.

Hopefully the movie will get made because it'll be interesting to see how it does given that Ubisoft are clearly trying to do a good job of making it not suck.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
While I expected a lot of yes I didn't expect all of them to be justified with a "Hey, everything else has been shit so how bad can they do?" though I can see the point.

using stopol? For what captcha?

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
did any of you guys see assassins creed lineage that was live action made by ubisoft and it was good and when has hollywood ever made a good video game movie name one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcE8xJkK6t4

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Bang Kaboom Ferrell said:
did any of you guys see assassins creed lineage that was live action made by ubisoft and it was good and when has hollywood ever made a good video game movie name one
Agreed. Lineage was fun. It showed where Ezio's skills came from(takes after his father, that one). If they did that with a nothing budget just to hype AC2, imagine what they could do with a little backing. Not saying it WILL be great, but don't write it off immediately.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Hollywood rarely ever makes a good movie period these days, much less a video game adaptation. I'm completely with Ubisoft in their reluctance to hand over their IP without a great deal of control.

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
I say let Ubisoft go for it - after all, the worst that can happen is that it's a cock-up. And since most game adaptations end as cock-ups, it's no great loss overall.

The developer is the one who came up with the whole franchise - the characters, the story, the setting. They know their own direction best, and what they want to achieve from a film version. Yes, there's a difference between a 30 hour game and a 2 hour film. But I reckon they could pull this off.

And as a note to Hollywood - remember the Uncharted movie? What happened there, hmm? Some numbskull tries to cast Mark Wahlberg as the lead, and rewrites the whole premise of the games because that was "his vision". Oh look, and the franchise owner told him to sling his hook and take Marky Mark with him. And a fanbase breathed a collective sigh of relief.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
Why give control to anyone other than the people who understand the series best? Also, just because they have to "ok" literally everything doesn't mean they're gonna totally ignore the movie experts.

I think most of the backlash is from people being scared of new concepts.

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
I didn't even know they planned to make a movie out of Assassin's Creed, but I am pleasantly surprised. I am a big fan of AC. I am not quite sure if it's a good idea to make a movie out of it, but I know I want to see it. And I think it's good for Ubisoft to take control.

Hollywood makes good and bad movies, they can shut it as far as I'm concerned. It's Ubisoft's franchise and they know it best. Giving control to an "outsider" is not necessarily the best option, regardless of what Hollywood talent agents say.

Does anyone by the way know who the "Hollywood talent agent" interviewed was? I tried searching but failed miserably.