Poll: Ugh, zombies

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I think I'm more tired with the obsession with it than the Zombies themselves. I still find some takes fascinating (for people who like having their brains fucked by a cliché but weirdly complex story about Zombies, consult the Call of Duty Zombie game mode) but it's just that people either seem to love them, think them as more powerful than they logically could be or make plans for the Zombies.

See the thing is I actually like participating in Romero or The Walking Dead style Zombie plans, but most of them I encounter are about modern Zombies (like your Left4Dead or 28 Days Later scenarios). My response is always "If I see a Zombie sprinting to somebody and punching them in the face, I will commit suicide". It gets boring to repeat this over and over. As is explaining to people why using blades would be a stupid idea.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
We will not get sick of zombies until we stop flipping out about overpopulation.

So... give it 50 more years.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm somewhat ok with them, I'm just more fed up that most of the settings that the zombies take places in have absolutely no idea what an undead is as if the concept of the living undead had never happened in their universe!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I consider zombies as being on the same level as fantasy settings with pointy-eared elves in forest and surely bearded dwarves in tunnels.

That is to say, an indicator of a creative void.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I am getting tired of them, but I push through because I just want a good one. A REALLY good zombie game.
I'm not a huge fan of Left 4 Dead, plus I wouldn't call that "survival" in the sense that you need to search for supplies and junk.
DayZ isn't going to be done for over another year, if it gets done at all.
Things like No More Room in Hell are neat and all, but it's basically a slow paced wave shooter.
7 Days to Die has some promise, but still needs some serious polish.

So yeah, I am getting tired of buying and playing zombie games, but I probably won't quit until I play that perfect one. That zombie survival game that combines all the great that has come out of all other zombie games into one, amazing, replayable, polished package.

Basically, I'm waiting for the Titanfall of zombie survival games. Titanfall really wasn't anything that unique, but it took so many amazing aspects from other online FPS games and combined them cohesively enough to make an outstanding game.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Well, my avatar IS a zombie. Well...it's probably better described as a mutant. Or maybe a half-timesplitter. Or a parasite. It's never really explained.

I like zombies, but only when they're done creatively. They're certainly not something I ever found frightening.

CrazyCrab

Oct 26, 2013
Im really, really tired of them to the point where I will not even give TWD Season 2 a shot or even watch it on Youtube and I enjoyed season 1.
There are just so many better alternatives and when it comes to the undead I'll rather have a mixture of skeletons, flesh golems, liches, vampires, ghosts and some zombies.
Like my grandfather says, everything is to be enjoyed in moderate measures and I feel like even the zombies are bored of themselves at this point.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I'm playing L4D multiple times a week these days (my way of staying in touch with a couple of friends in different corners of the country) so... yeah, I'm not likely to be tired of zombies any time soon.

However, I'm not much of a fan of zombie movies; for an aggressively cannibalistic and infectious apocalypse, they can often be remarkably bland...

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Only zombie that I can tollerate is Squigly from skullgirls. Otherwise it's something that's beaten to death already (no pun intended).

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to Zombies. The shuffling moaning rotting ones have been a personal fear of mine since I was a small girl. The fast ones, more often known as infected I find a lot less scary but I consider them more dangerous.

I saw VHS and VHS when I was about 12 or 13 and neither got me that scared. They are so laced in comedy that they are more parody than horror. Also the googley eyes sort of ruined the Tarman's scare factor for me.

I'm not sick of zombies at all they are like rubbery sweets I can always go for more. Its just that I have seen so much zombie stuff over the years that I can't be asked seeking it out anymore. If a trusted source or friend says its good then I will give it a go.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Zombies are great.

Love em.

There are crap politicians, crap ice creams, crap beers, but that doesn't make liberal democracy, icecream, or beer passe and terrible.

Zombies are a disaster with a rotting face, in a way a hurricane or nuclear war will never be.

Plug for Project Zomboid [https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fprojectzomboid.com%2F&ei=CRRIU_DUKenOyQHixoGIDg&usg=AFQjCNH0yasfKS8Fx0n_nzD9JoY0trkwnQ&sig2=NUxmDWMPZCjbvPthg5g61A&bvm=bv.64542518,d.aWc]

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Xbox Live Inidie Games have ruined sh-mups, zombies and Flappy Bird for everyone forever.

But Zombies were a great concept a few years ago - they were basically the Uncanny Valley before it was widely agreed on. But now... ugh...

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Ten Foot Bunny said:
In my opinion, there hasn't been a truly frightening (if not a bit cheesy) zombie since Tarman from the first Return of the Living Dead in 1985. I saw it when it first came out (I was eight years old) and it scared the shit out of me. See for yourself:

Umm, are you sure the reason you found that scary wasn't just because you were eight? That wasn't scary - it wasn't even uncomfortable.

OT: I personally haven't experienced most of zombie-related media out there. Not out of choice or anything - out of chance it seems. So I'm not actually that sick & tired of it but I totally get other people feeling that way.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I use to be indifferent to zombies. I couldn't really get into them as I didn't find them interesting at all. Now, I'm just plain sick of them. Seems like you can't play a game or watch TV without zombies being thrown at your face. Recently, I've become even more annoyed since my family has started watching The Walking Dead and they're hooked on it. I tried watching the entire first season with my mom. I was interested until about halfway through the first season when the zombies went from a threat to an occasional interrupter of the human drama that dominated the foreground. I guess that's why I could never get into zombies. They're generally not portrayed as a genuine threat. Sure, the bite is dangerous and getting swarmed is tense, but at times, it seems like the zombies don't follow their own defined rules (like having noise piss them off, except when they want to focus on human drama just because) or they're too cumbersome to be bothered with. Seeing scenes of people killing zombies on mass in silly ways doesn't help matters, either. At this point, zombies just feel like a discount monster as they're very easy to make stories/games around them.

NihilSinLulz

May 28, 2013
For those sick of zombies, I think you'll just need to expand beyond the mainstream stuff. Some very creative stuff has been done with zombies, its just most of it has been in the indie sphere.

Some of my favourite examples:

Pontypool - a small budget Canadian horror film that takes place entirely in a radio station. The zombies here are of the philosophical nature. Knowledge of semiotics may be required.

Deadgirl - A very uncomfortable film that questions how far a person will go if there arn't any foreseeable consequences. Think of the Steubenville case, only with some zombies.

The Signal - a mysterious signal appears randomly on all media devices that does something to people. Probably my favourite as its so mysterious but theres plenty of clues for the attentive viewer.

Planet Terror - more mainstream than the rest of these films, but still loads of fun. Its made by Rodriguesz (dude who did Machete). Tons of brainless fun!

Splinter - more of a traditional zombie film, but its has a more RE feel to it what with a crazy super fungus being involved.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I'm incredibly bored of them. So much so that I actively avoided TLOU even though a lot of people are calling it the best game of the generation.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Zombies are an instant eye roll and change the channel thing for me. Even if something puts any focus at all on something that's particularly zombie like, I'll instantly tune out. You can tell me it's got the greatest writing, the best story and the most amazing acting ever seen and I still won't care as long as it's zombie related.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Lil_Rimmy said:
I really, REALLY agree with that. I love zombie games and movies etc. when the focus is on people SURVIVING, rather than them gunning down waves of zombies while screaming "FUCK YEAH!"

I get why those exist, but for everyone 20 shoot-em-up zombie games (some of which are really good, ala L4D) there is the single lonely survival game. Imagine DayZ where you actually survived, instead of just getting a gun and then it turning into PvP. That's the kind of thing that so many developers get so close to, getting one or two features right but losing out on the others. Imagine all the best traits of various games combined into one great zombie game, involving character interaction, co-op, survival, tense, horror and so. That kind of stuff is why I still love zombies, and still get sad every time a game fails to meet them.
I think the DayZ standalone has the potential to be the best zombie game in existence if all the proposed features get put in. I fucking hate Steam, but for Dayz I would make an exception.