Poll: Useage based billing

Arizona Kyle

Aug 25, 2010
HankMan said:
Increases in value the more time you use it? I never thought about it like that.
Fuck UBB, I'm glad I like in America.
You had better be ready cuz its comming here next man... just like everything else that has ever happened in the world

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Tubez said:
brandon237 said:
Sightless Wisdom said:
60gb cap here, sucks man. I hope things change soon.
Lol. I have a... wait for it... 9GB cap. I cannot use steam, and I am stuck with it for the next year, and what is more, the only reason it is 9 and not 5 is because the provider was FORCED to upgrade as it wasn't giving enough bang for bucks spent on it.

Yay 3rd world service provider roping my mom into contracts :(
0.o wtf?
Yeah, 9GB, not fast, stuck with it for the next year. Anyone who complains about anything less than 20GBs does not know of South Africa...

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
When I read the topic title I thought you were going to propose a new MMO billing method. And as someone who only plays WoW a few hours a week (Xfire says 2 hours in the last 7 days) I'd love a cellphone-prepaid-like model for MMO's.

As for internet providers, it sounds alright I suppose. Making heavy users pay more for taking up more bandwith space sounds pretty logical. That is, when the pricing's right. The situation in Canada sounds plain silly, but it's not unreasonable to make people pay more when they use more.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Yeah, 9GB, not fast, stuck with it for the next year. Anyone who complains about anything less than 20GBs does not know of South Africa...
One of my inet connections has a 10GB cap, and i'm living in germany. But thats because of the involved technology (UMTS). The issue with that tech, is that all users in an area share the same bandwidth. Thus, in theory a single user could achieve very high speeds, yet if all users use the net simultaneusly, the average bandwidth per user is rather low. For some strange reason, instead of traffic shaping they opted for rather low monthly traffic caps. The biggest insult to one's own intellect, is that they still sell these kinds of connections as "flatrates". How? Easy, once you hit the traffic cap, you're demoted to 56k modem speed - so IN THEORY, there is no cap.... riiiiiiiiiiight!

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Lyx said:
One of my inet connections has a 10GB cap, and i'm living in germany. But thats because of the involved technology (UMTS). The issue with that tech, is that all users in an area share the same bandwidth. Thus, in theory a single user could achieve very high speeds, yet if all users use the net simultaneusly, the average bandwidth per user is rather low. For some strange reason, instead of traffic shaping they opted for rather low monthly traffic caps. The biggest insult to one's own intellect, is that they still sell these kinds of connections as "flatrates". How? Easy, once you hit the traffic cap, you're demoted to 56k modem speed - so IN THEORY, there is no cap.... riiiiiiiiiiight!
Well, in theory there will always be a cap because you're billed by finite billing cycles and can only go at a finite speed. So even for my "unlimited" 20Mb/s internet the cap would be about 86,400 seconds per day * 20Mb/sec * 31 days in the longest month = 52,312.5 GB per month cap. I should sue for false advertising.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
Fuck no. All usage billing would do is punish people who transfer more data for being above the "average" amount customers use.

Lyx

Sep 19, 2010
Dags90 said:
Lyx said:
Well, in theory there will always be a cap because you're billed by finite billing cycles and can only go at a finite speed. So even for my "unlimited" 20Mb/s internet the cap would be about 86,400 seconds per day * 20Mb/sec * 31 days in the longest month = 52,312.5 GB per month cap. I should sue for false advertising.
Correct, ressources are always limited anyways - if at most, the connection speed. What flatrates usually refer to (sans a "fair use"-policy in fineprint) is being online at max speed 24/7 (though, for obvious reasons, no ISP will actually tolerate this). What i consider fraudulent in my above qute, is that those UMTS connections are sold under the premise of a high-speed flatrate, when actually, they are capped at a certain trafficlimit to a speed, at which one cannot efficiently surf websites with reasonable effort (here, the result of reaching the cap, is having to retry loading a low-bandwidth website four times, before it is loaded correctly - thats how worse it is. In principle, after exceeding the limit, you're demoted to torture-mode, yet what you are paying for, is a supposed "flatrate").

What is my specific issue with that behaviour? Quite simply: dishonesty and inflexibility. I acknowledge that achievable bandwidth is capped on an area-level, rather than user level. I also acknowledge, that traffic usage after a certain limit becomes a premium, via supply & demand. Soooo, the sane solution to me would be:

1. Do traffic-shaping based on traffic-usage in that month by the user. However, NOT blind traffic-shaping... if no one else in the area accesses the net right now, there is no need to artificially lower speeds. Instead, one's own speed would simply depend on how much traffic one used, and how much traffic other users in the area are using right now.

2. If you want to get higher priority, even after having used lots of traffic, that's a premium and costs extra.

That would pretty much represent UMTS reality. BUT: Then they could no longer advertize such plans at super-high speeds - they would need to acknowledge, that the actual speed depends on user-activity in an area. Furthermore, they could no longer advertize it as a flatrate, because continueing to use the net at premium speeds requires extra charge above a certain limit.

Soooo, my argument is: This plainly is fraud. They are using an artificial billing model to keep up the illusion of something, that quite simply does not match reality.

Aphex Demon

Aug 23, 2010
MetalDooley said:
DarkBlood626 said:
Aphex Demon said:
Mine's unlimited. My Dad's company pays for it :3
You should tell him to check if there's a fair use policy if there is its not unlimited even though unlimited probably was in the advertisement
Yeah my current broadband package advertises itself as unlimited but if you read the small print it's subject to a fair use policy of 250gb.Always gotta read the small print(although I can't see myself ever getting close to downloading 250gb in a month)
No need, we have never heard anything from the company with regards to the internet. It's the same with his phone contract. Also, I download a shit ton of stuff.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
I'm on a monthly capless service in the UK. Deliberately went for a company that didn't have a cap, because I don't like to try and work out how much I've used in a month (some months I do hardly anything... others there's a Steam sale or a shiny distro released).

Wouldn't go back onto a capped service unless I didn't have a choice.