Poll: Victoria police given permission to fine swearing

Alkaline

Mar 12, 2011
The_Yeti said:
DoctorPhil said:
America. Land of the free. And land of taking your freedom away.
You do realize he's speaking of Victoria, a state of Australia eh? lets face it, if that happened in America 99% of politicians and rappers would go bankrupt in 0.5 seconds.
Fixed that for you.

Friendshipandmagic

May 13, 2011
bleachigo10 said:
Time for a Footloose parody... call if F**kloose.
Oh, will it star Kevin Bacon? :D

Seriously though, why is it every time the land down under gets into the news around here its for nanny state bullshit like this? Oops, I just earned myself a fine.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Stupid. Being offended is not a big deal. Being called a ****** and given dirty looks everywhere you go is something that is going to psychologically damage you. Hearing someone say "oh fuck I'm late for work" is not.

Sometimes words and their intent can actually be harmful to people and serious enough for the law to be brought in. If all they were was "offended" then that isn't such a case. Grow the hell up or stay inside where its safe and everybody has to play by your rules.

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
This is a stupid law, people will just use other words as swears to avoid being fined.
Like "sun on the beach."

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
Why not? I'm past the point of believing that people are reasonable creatures capable of maintaining civility.

If you are going behave inappropriately, might as well help with filling the treasury.

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
InfiniteSingularity said:
New laws are giving Victorian police in Australia to give people $240 on the spot for swearing. What do you think of this?

Personally I think it's a violation of free speech - we should be allowed to say what we want to say. There are laws prohibiting offensive language, but I don't think swearing is offensive. It's not directed at a particular ethnic or religious or any division of humanity, it is only universally offensive. I personally think that if people find something offensive, like swearing, it's their own business, and the law shouldn't intervene.

"Swearing is bad" is an opinion. And I know this is true because I disagree with it; hence, it is an opinion and not fact. You cannot make and enforce a law which is based on an OPINION - that is bias. That is unbalanced, and that is unjust.
Yeah it is an opinion. But some people honestly think that murdering children and cannibalizing their brains is a good thing and think that anyone against that is just voicing 'an opinion'. Where is the line drawn?

ten.to.ten

Mar 17, 2011
Personally I think it's a violation of free speech
There is no such thing as a protected right to free speech in Australia, so nothing is being violated.

duncants

Dec 11, 2010
Jewrean said:
New laws are giving Victorian police in Australia to give people $240 on the spot for swearing. What do you think of this?

Personally I think it's a violation of free speech - we should be allowed to say what we want to say. There are laws prohibiting offensive language, but I don't think swearing is offensive. It's not directed at a particular ethnic or religious or any division of humanity, it is only universally offensive. I personally think that if people find something offensive, like swearing, it's their own business, and the law shouldn't intervene.

"Swearing is bad" is an opinion. And I know this is true because I disagree with it; hence, it is an opinion and not fact. You cannot make and enforce a law which is based on an OPINION - that is bias. That is unbalanced, and that is unjust.
Yeah it is an opinion. But some people honestly think that murdering children and cannibalizing their brains is a good thing and think that anyone against that is just voicing 'an opinion'. Where is the line drawn?
the line is drawn at the point of causing harm to others.(it is not right now but I think it should be) If someone murdered my kid, I had a child before and not so much now, so i have been done harm. Someone calls me a dirty ****** (which has happened before) I shrug it of and walk away, no harm done.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Good thing I learned to swear in fantasy languages.

"Kaemb", "Bovx", "Oystgo", "Wa'zig", "Oynyn", "Vilg", "Vug", "Wosg", and "V'rg" are all ways to say "Fuck".

Personally, I go for "Bovx" because it is Celestial

No need to thank me, people, for I am here to serve.

As for this law: I will say this: Really stupid.

Here is an article on it here:
http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/2740602.html

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
I think it could be both a good idea and a bad idea. Policing speech is a bad idea for example, but not swearing in the street is a good idea. I think education would be a better way to teach this stuff.

Say I'm walking down the street with my child who's just started speaking and repeating everything people say. Don't I have the right not to have my child exposed to people throwing out F-bombs, C-bombs (the baddest one) and other such words? I'm from Scotland so this is certainly a concern...

In the end freedom of speech comes at the price of sensibility. I COULD say something offensive about blacks/whites/gays/straights and my free speech WOULD cover it (theoretically) but does that mean it's a good idea?

The_Yeti said:
-but I don't think swearing is offensive. It's not directed at a particular ethnic or religious or any division of humanity-
Maybe you've forgotten the literal meaning of most of the curse-words, which are in fact intended primarily to offend a person of specific intellect, personality, race, and even the stately word atheist, which is in itself a religious slander to brand the non-believers.
The word atheist is, like most western words, derived from latin literally meaning "No-God-one who believes in". It's a literal term and has never been slanderous. "Slander" isn't even the right word in this case as slander would be a statement that is false.

Flare Phoenix

Dec 18, 2009
Ehhh it depends on how harshly they enforce this. If they fine someone who is swearing repeatedly and loudly I'm all for it, but if I can't go "Fucken hell, it's cold outside" without getting a fine that is pushing it too far.

Really this isn't something the law really needs to concern themselves with. The only time it does is when someone is making a public scene which is already covered under the law. If someone has a problem with swearing it's up to them to take measures to stop it. I mean what's going to happen next? Someone isn't going to like video games so they try and get video games banne... oh wait...

Adorann

Dec 9, 2009
The law has actually existed for a long time now. When you swore, police would have to take you to court to actually fine you. The government just changed it so they can fine you on the spot, without going through all the legal stuff.

Either way it's bullshit.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Flare Phoenix said:
Ehhh it depends on how harshly they enforce this. If they fine someone who is swearing repeatedly and loudly I'm all for it, but if I can't go "Fucken hell, it's cold outside" without getting a fine that is pushing it too far.

Really this isn't something the law really needs to concern themselves with. The only time it does is when someone is making a public scene which is already covered under the law. If someone has a problem with swearing it's up to them to take measures to stop it. I mean what's going to happen next? Someone isn't going to like video games so they try and get video games banne... oh wait...
I don't even think they will enforce it like that, it's probably just so people try to be more polite to police officers, at least that's how I imagined it :)

Because it's just ridiculously stupid to swear at the person who arrests you, and it happens /a lot/.

TheFinalFantasyWolf

Dec 23, 2010
What the fuck?....ow darn it! *fined

Seriously though, this is nothing but stupid revenue raising! I just know this new law will be abused by the police.

Nazz3

Sep 11, 2009
Really?

Damn. Is the country ran by some old mothers or something? Stuff like this and the extremely tight video game ratings

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
You shouldn't be fined for swear in general. If you go on a swearing rant at someone then yes.

ten.to.ten

Mar 17, 2011
Dulcinea said:
ten.to.ten said:
Personally I think it's a violation of free speech
There is no such thing as a protected right to free speech in Australia, so nothing is being violated.
You need to check the laws again. I use the right to picket the houses of convicted sex offenders, casually informing passers by that the occupant of the home has been convicted of a sex crime.
1. If there are laws that grant free speech it's not because the government is under an obligation to make them, and they can be amended or removed at the whim of the legislature.

2. Is that even legal?