Poll: Video Game (Videogame), One Word or Two?

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
I've been known to type it both ways. Is there a general consensus about the structure of this all important word/phrase?

If by definition we call videogame a word, does that not mean it has to be not two words?[footnote]Aren't awkwardly phrased double-negatives cool?[/footnote]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I tend to separate them personally. Although that's more because it stops my spell checker bugging me about it.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I usually type it out as two words. It just seems proper to me, I'm not sure why.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I spell it out as two seperate words. It's a habit and it doesn't look right as just one word.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Two seperate words. It's for the sake of writing it down, mainly. My teachers are picky on the English of my papers.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
2 words. I don't type board game as one word, or sports game as one word. Video is a an adjective in this case, and game is the noun.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
meganmeave said:
2 words. I don't type board game as one word, or sports game as one word. Video is a an adjective in this case, and game is the noun.
But you have the Wide World of Sports, or Sportcenter... but you can't have the Wide World of Video or Videocenter, as those would sound like TV shops.

Sep 17, 2009
SavingPrincess said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
2 words. Microsoft word told me so.
If that's the litmus test by which things are measured these days, god help us all.
If this is the response to jokes these days, god help us all.

OT: It's 2 words, but I spell it as one sometimes, doesn't really matter.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
SavingPrincess said:
meganmeave said:
But you have the Wide World of Sports, or Sportcenter... but you can't have the Wide World of Video or Videocenter, as those would sound like TV shops.
Isn't Sportscenter a proper noun though? It's the name of a show, right? Or are you talking about something else.

If it's the name of a show one, then all I have to say about that is proper nouns don't have to follow the general English rules.

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
meganmeave said:
SavingPrincess said:
meganmeave said:
Isn't Sportscenter a proper noun though? It's the name of a show, right? Or are you talking about something else.

If it's the name of a show one, then all I have to say about that is proper nouns don't have to follow the general English rules.
Yes, but Sports is fine without "game", it means the same thing. Video without "game" is a completely different thing; therefore "video game (videogame)" is a noun that requires it to be a single entity else it loses all meaning. Just something I've been thinking about.