Poll: Video Game Violence

nguye2ty

May 26, 2011
Hey guys I am doing a paper on Should Children be able to play violent video games (even though there are ratings), and does it affect their aggression. If i can get some opinions and some feedback on what you guys think and if children should be able to play violent video games that would be great.

Thanks Guys

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
It appears your poll didnt work.

But i think it should be a mix between the parents and the children.
My dad used to let me play violent games like resident evil and gta back when i was about 8, and in no way would i say im an agressive person.. i know the difference between whats in the game and whats not. So if i did decide to go steal a car and run over a prostitute, its not because of a game.

At the same time i know there are children who might be more impressionable than me, my dad didnt let my brother watch or play violent stuff til he was about 14, because he'd get scared and have nightmares and stuff.

So i think it should be a case by case basis, with no right or wrong answer.
If you think your child is mature enough then sure, if not then no.

ShakesZX

Nov 28, 2009
I think there needs to be limits on what certain levels of violence children are exposed to, but that's all subjective on the part of the parent. Obviously, in order for any violent stimulus not to create the next serial killer it needs to be paired with education and perspective on the actions being portrayed.

vato_loco

May 24, 2010
Ilikemilkshake said:
It appears your poll didnt work.

But i think it should be a mix between the parents and the children.
My dad used to let me play violent games like resident evil and gta back when i was about 8, and in no way would i say im an agressive person.. i know the difference between whats in the game and whats not. So if i did decide to go steal a car and run over a prostitute, its not because of a game.

At the same time i know there are children who might be more impressionable than me, my dad didnt let my brother watch or play violent stuff til he was about 14, because he'd get scared and have nightmares and stuff.

So i think it should be a case by case basis, with no right or wrong answer.
If you think your child is mature enough then sure, if not then no.
A thousand times this. Really, I have nothing more to add.

Well... maybe just the fact that I've been playing games for a LONG time and I've never felt that it made me more violent. As long as the person can tell between game and real life, I see no problem in children playing video games. If a child can't make that distinction, then something is surely wrong with his life, and it's not exactly videogames.